Active Now

Spunky
Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » There was an "I am Muslim too" rally in New York. Donald got 37.5% of the vote. In Wyoming he got 70%. Why don't New Yorkers lik him?

There was an "I am Muslim too" rally in New York. Donald got 37.5% of the vote. In Wyoming he got 70%. Why don't New Yorkers lik him?

Posted - February 21, 2017

Responses

New York is a liberal state.
      February 21, 2017 8:52 AM MST

He is one of their own. New Yorkers have elected Republicans before m2c as you very well know or SHOULD. Why couldn't they stomach The Donald? Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday to thee! :)
      February 21, 2017 11:13 AM MST

When was the last time NY voted Republican for President?
      February 21, 2017 11:47 AM MST

Honestly my2cents, New Yorkers absolutely would have backed him if he was a decent man.  They would have backed him over Hillary in a heartbeat.  There is nothing more they'd like to see than one of their own running the country.
      February 21, 2017 2:35 PM MST

Do you believe NY would vote for Rudy Guillanti had he gotten the Republican nomination? 
      February 21, 2017 4:19 PM MST

At one time, absolutely.  He actually did a great job as mayor of NYC.  Unfortunately, his post-mayoral activities have reduced his popularity.  One huge black mark against him was his highly publicized extra-marital affair with his now wife.  It really soured people toward him.  They loved his ex, Donna Hanover.  She was a popular news personality in NYC at one time. She was very hurt and very vocal about it too.  So, although I do think he would have support from NY Republicans, I can't say definitively if he could carry the state.  It would really depend upon the challenger(s).  What I will say is that I do believe that he would have had a higher percentage of New Yorkers backing him than Trump did.

This post was edited by Harry at February 21, 2017 4:40 PM MST
      February 21, 2017 4:39 PM MST

They have had Republican mayors and governors m2c. Had they been given a decent candidate why wouldn't they have voted for him/her? You are either purposely missing the point or don't understand the point. THE DONALD is a native son. Born and bred in New York. My question is about The Donald. Not about the history of presidential elections in the state of New York. Everything about THE DONALD screams New York. He was very badly rejected by his home state. My question is WHY? You did not answer it. The why obviously is that they can't stand the man because of what/whom he is. You will never admit that. You have to blame it on New York being a Liberal State. That doesn't wash. Thank you for your reply. You are consistent. 
      February 22, 2017 3:44 AM MST

You are also consistent. I answer your question, you don't like the answer so you say I didn't answer......The answer is NY is liberal. They will not vote for a conservative for President.  As they haven't for the last 3 decades. This post was edited by my2cents at July 15, 2018 10:57 PM MDT
      February 22, 2017 8:20 AM MST

• New York is a very liberal state. They wouldn't like a Republican President even if it was someone other than Donald Trump.
      February 21, 2017 8:57 AM MST

They have had Republican Governors. They had Republican mayors. Why couldn't they stomach The Donald? Thank you for your reply SL and Happy Tuesday! :) The Donald is unstomachable!
      February 21, 2017 11:15 AM MST

• I don't know about unstomachable. I like him although he wasn't my first choice to be the candidate. Once the nominees were decided there was no way in hell I was voting for Hillary Clinton. :)
      February 21, 2017 12:10 PM MST

Many others feel the same as you.  So that's why we have what we have in the White House today. Congrats. Thank you for your reply S-L and Happy Wednesday! :)
      February 22, 2017 3:46 AM MST

Although it is generally looked at as a liberal state, George Pataki was the Governor from 1995 until 2006, Giuliani was the mayor of New York City from 1994 until 2001, and, New York backed Reagan by a landslide in 1984. 

Rosie, the reason New Yorkers don't like Trump is that they know him very well.  New Yorkers have been reading, hearing stories about him, and have had the misfortune of doing business with him since the '70s.  He has been known as a con man there for years.   Just ask anyone who grew up there.  Oh, sorry.  You just did.  And I answered!  ;-)
      February 21, 2017 9:14 AM MST

• Yeah being from NY I can tell anyone it's a mix bag.  Most areas aren't all that liberal but when it comes to national and state politics a few key areas hold a lot of sway.
    Our government here has never really been all that liberal.   We are archaic as hell when it comes to things like marijuana.  The last state to allow MMA. Our services are pretty weak.  I could go on.  NY isn't very progressive or liberal at all in truth except when it comes to " You can't do that" legislation and regulation of the little guy and high as hell taxes.  Albany is a nanny state government that loves waste and that's about it really.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 21, 2017 2:14 PM MST
      February 21, 2017 11:07 AM MST

"You can't do that."  You mean like Bloomberg's soda ban?  I haven't lived in NY for 15 years but when I heard that one I was grateful I had moved to another state.  And, I don't drink soda!  lol. 
      February 21, 2017 2:42 PM MST

• Well as much as often tried, he didn't really have much sway over the rest of us luckily. We got our own quack, but yeah the unsung motto is " More rules, more taxes".
      February 21, 2017 4:59 PM MST

Exactamundo Harry. They just could NOT STOMACH The Donald! When any Pol cannot carry his/her own home state what does that tell you? Thank you for your thoughtful reply Harry and Happy Tuesday to thee! :)
      February 21, 2017 11:17 AM MST

The home state is usually a good point but this year both candidates were considered as NY home states.
      February 21, 2017 4:25 PM MST

• NY is not Hillary's "Home State" .

She decided to move here only when and just because she realized she could use the NY as a jump-off to her career. Her "Home State" is Arkansas.  She's just an opportunist, not a New Yorker.
      February 21, 2017 4:54 PM MST

Actually in reality her home state is Illinois. Bill's home state is AR.
      February 21, 2017 5:44 PM MST

:):):)
      February 22, 2017 3:30 AM MST

I'm with Glis on this.  New Yorkers definitely don't consider her a New Yorker.  I live in New England now.  New Englanders view me as a New Yorker (flatlander).  As much as I love it here and I've been here for many years, my home state is New York.
      February 21, 2017 5:17 PM MST

:):):)
      February 22, 2017 3:30 AM MST

Hillary is a carpetbagger m2c. You know that very well. She MOVED to New York expressly so she could run for the Senate. She is not native born. The Donald was BORN IN NEW YORK and therefore a native son. They are  NOT remotely comparable. Good try but it doesn't fly. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      February 22, 2017 3:29 AM MST