Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Have you ever been involved in a motor vehicle accident?

Have you ever been involved in a motor vehicle accident?

Irrespective of whose fault it was, how did you react?

Posted - February 21, 2017

Responses

I was hit by a truck and it was definitely his fault. It wasn't really that bad, but I still got out of the hospital hours later. Wasted the bag of Burger King fast food I was carrying.
      February 21, 2017 2:18 PM MST

• That bag of goodies brought back some memories. Had a similar experience way back in 1952. I walked away but the food didn't. 
      February 21, 2017 2:26 PM MST

I was pissed. Wasted $15.
      February 21, 2017 2:27 PM MST

• One good one in 2001 but this fool had no license or insurance so I just had it towed back to the shop and fixed it like brand new. About $4000.00 at the time. I still have it and drive it once in a while.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 21, 2017 7:54 PM MST
      February 21, 2017 2:29 PM MST

• Insurance is compulsory in Oz now. It still happens, though. Some banned drive will get behind the wheel of an unregistered vehicle and...

I'm sorry you had that one, though. $4K is a lot of money to be out of pocket.
      February 21, 2017 5:35 PM MST

• Only one accident and that was about 40 years ago. A young girl slid on the snow covered road and lightly kissed my fender. Not a lot of damage but it was my first car and I was royally pi$$ed. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 21, 2017 7:53 PM MST
      February 21, 2017 2:47 PM MST

• One of my friends was riding a motorcycle in Glasgow on icy roads. He came to a T-intersection and turned right. The front of the bike turned, all right, but it kept going in the same direction and he wiped out a brick wall. That was the day he decided to give up his bike.
      February 21, 2017 5:37 PM MST

• That must've hurt.
      February 21, 2017 7:13 PM MST

• I've had two car accidents but only one I walked away really injured. I told this story on Blurtit once but I'll share it again. When I was 12 my mom and I were returning from a trip when a tractor trailer driver fell asleep at the wheel and rammed our car off the interstate. No one died thankfully (it was a high speed accident) but my left foot and part of my leg was too crushed to save so they had to amuptate it. I liked that foot. It was my favorite :P Afterwards, my reaction was shock, depressed, and all that fun stuff that came along with prosthetics and doctors. That wasn't my favorite year. :)
      February 21, 2017 3:26 PM MST

• That's dreadful, Lynn. I shudder just thinking about it. I'm glad you lived but so sorry you lost the leg.
      February 21, 2017 5:39 PM MST

• Me too but I'm glad I still get to walk and run and basically live the same except my foot and part of my leg is a peice of metal now. :) Yay for modern technology!! :D
      February 21, 2017 6:32 PM MST

I remember this from before.  I'm still sad for you.:(
      February 21, 2017 5:46 PM MST

• I was sad and very mad for awhile but I'm not anymore. I'm glad I get to live now! :) I'm glad I found you over here, Tiger! This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 22, 2017 6:11 AM MST
      February 21, 2017 6:29 PM MST

I've only ever been in one accident. I don't even remember it or how I reacted, but apparently I wasn't able to recognize my own family and acted bizarre afterwards and never quite went back to normal..
      February 21, 2017 3:28 PM MST

• Nasty! I've known other people left with that kind of injury. It's a hell of a thing to happen. I'm sorry you had the experience.
      February 21, 2017 5:40 PM MST

I stretch the truth sometimes to get a laugh. All of what follows is true. 

It was Christmas Eve, 34 years ago.
    I was heading back to my parents, and mother-in-law, for Christmas.
    I was driving a Morris 1800, my wife was in the passenger seat, and my 21-month-old daughter was asleep in a properly-secured carry cot in the back.
    (We were all proud of the car (although my daughter didn't say in so many words) I'd spent around £500 (a fortune back then) and hours of hard work, making it a bit "special".)

I was on the M2 motorway in North Kent. 
    The road was damp and greasy.
    I had less than half a mile to the exit ramp, and was already slowing down, I guess I was doing around 55mph.

A tremendous bang, and the car spun twice. I know it was twice, because I saw car headlights in my face twice before we ground to a halt, facing the wrong way in the nearside lane.

I knew we were all going to die. We were on a busy motorway, average speeds were around 85mph on British motorways then. Stationary in the slow lane of a major motorway was not the place to be.

But we didn't die.

Most of our Christmas, ended up scattered all over much of North Kent, but we were all alive.

A very brave man in a brand-new Jaguar watched what had happened and with some quite aggressive braking (I was told afterwards) was able to slow the traffic down on the inside lane. He saved three lives that night. He must have been 70 years of age. I thanked him for his bravery at the time, but to this day I do not know the name of our guardian angel.

Then, I noticed the van in front of me on the hard shoulder. A wrecked Chevanne, with the logo of a well-known Security Company on the side.

The driver wandered back to me.

"What happened?"
    "I don't know, did you hit me?"
    "No, I was in the outside lane."
    "You did hit me didn't you?"

At this moment, the fuzz arrived.

They quickly established that the Chevanne driver was driving drunk, and not for the first time.

He was hauled off to spend Christmas Eve in gaol, the police took my wife and daughter to safety at my parents' house.

I was left on the motorway hard shoulder with a wrecked car. It was in the days before mobile 'phones, and I had to rely on the police to contact a salvage company. It was cold, dark and wet.

An hour later, a salvage truck arrived... and took away the wrecked Chevanne.

An hour after that, the AA arrived, and at about 5 minutes before Christmas Day arrived, I got back into the warm.

I'd done nothing wrong, my life and that of my family had been put in serious danger and all our Christmas holidays had been ruined. Presents and packing were still scattered all over the M2.

I didn't really care, we were all safe, let's try to enjoy Christmas and worry about the accident later.

After the holidays, my dad took my wife and daughter home, and I spent several hours (probably illegally) trying to get my wrecked car home.

I got £250 from the insurance company of the security company. My beautifully repaired and restored car, with £180 of new tyres alone, was worth so little. For the ruined Christmas, nothing.

I still didn't care that much, we were all still alive, and all had a new start.

(The Drunk was fined £150 and banned from driving (again) for 2 years. I believe he was caught again 2 years later).

February 21, 2017 3:29 PM MST

• It always seem incongruous to have to hit a "Like" button after reading a horror story like that. Dreadful experience. I'm glad you all survived. The law is far to lenient with drunk drivers (the Affluenza Teen being the most notable recently). Thanks for sharing, Plingsby.
      February 21, 2017 5:45 PM MST

A drunk driver is what got me, too. I hope they atleast learned their lesson after nearly being killed. This dude in your story never seems to learn though..
      February 22, 2017 5:45 AM MST

I've been in 6 or 7..... I'm still hurting from the worst one. My reaction is shocked every time
      February 21, 2017 5:52 PM MST

• Sorry to hear that. You've been unlucky.
      February 21, 2017 8:22 PM MST

When I was a teen my half brother was driving and my brother and I were riding with him.  He got it in accident just seconds after he was telling us how he was such a good driver and we needed to learn from him.  I had a broken arm from the accident but my half brother got most of the injuries.  The delivery truck that hit us had priority so my half brother got the ticket.

Because he was in the hospital he had to get a court date for different driving offense changed.

The second time I was in an accident I got hit when the driver on the left didn't yield but I wasn't hurt or injured.
      February 21, 2017 6:44 PM MST

I have been in several minor ones. I bumped and been bumped but no damages to worry about. 
    But I was in one bad one. I was in college on my way to class. I was going through the intersection (Green light) a 96 yr old man ran the yeild sign. Hit my car in the rear passenger side. Sent me spinning into the next lane another car hit me. I ended up ramming into light pole. 

I woke up at the hospital. With them asking my name etc. They sent me to a better hospital. I needed my eyebrow stitched up, my earlobe reattached. And surgery on my neck. I had crushed 3 vertebrae. The Dr used something to fuse them together and inserted a steel plate to support them. I was also 3months pregnant at the time. 
    The baby was unaffected. I had wear a brace for awhile. I was blessed. I am not paralyzed, I have full movement of my neck. I have no limitations on activities. The only thing I have is early arthritis.  
    This was 20+ years ago.... Again I am very blessed. God was protecting me and mine that day.
      February 21, 2017 7:12 PM MST

That's a lot to go through!
    Glad you're here to talk about it!
    :)
      February 21, 2017 7:49 PM MST

• "Yes" ... I'm in my car, towing another (my second car) back to the L.A. area. It's raining, so I'm driving under the speed limit (at about 45mph) and I see an intersection up ahead with a traffic light. There's cross-traffic, waiting for their green light, and sure enough ... the light goes to yellow. I'm not going to get through the intersection on the yellow, so I start braking. The rain and the weight of the extra car soon make it apparent that I'm not going to make it.
       So I figure, if I can get slowed down enough, I'll turn right at the intersection and maybe avoid catastrophe. I get to the intersection and I'm going pretty slow, so I turn right and the weight of the rear car immediately flips my car over like a toy. While I'm hanging there, upside down, I'm thinking .... NOBODY HAD MOVED! I could have just driven through the intersection! All the drivers had seen the predicament I was in and nobody had moved. 

I felt like an idiot.
      February 21, 2017 7:38 PM MST