Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Zack
my2cents
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Is there a myth that you believed about a religion that's actually not true?

Is there a myth that you believed about a religion that's actually not true?

Posted - February 21, 2017

Responses

• ummmmmm is this a trick question? :p 
      February 21, 2017 7:33 PM MST

Probably.
      February 21, 2017 7:35 PM MST

• Lol :) is to someone like me. :p 
      February 21, 2017 7:37 PM MST

• I know right?
    This is one of those questions that are either really, really clever. Or really, really . . .not. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 23, 2017 6:45 PM MST
      February 22, 2017 9:52 AM MST

ha ha ha "either really, really clever. Or really, really . . .not." is really, really clever. I like it.
      March 28, 2017 8:07 AM MDT

Hello Z:

Yeah..  I always thought the religious amongst us were pretty good people..  Sadly, not so.

excon
      February 21, 2017 7:47 PM MST

• This may sound silly, but, when I was little and went to church, I used to think that.
    I thought that religious people, or those suffering from misfortune, like the  handicapped or the sick, were automatically good people.
      February 22, 2017 9:58 AM MST

• God loves us.
      February 21, 2017 8:04 PM MST

• Can I use a calculator or do you want me to count them by hand? Let's pick out a couple.

Taoism: Lao Tzu stayed 85 years in his mother's womb and was born with a long, grey beard. 
    Islam: The bridge to Paradise passes over Jahannam and infidels will fall into the flames.
    Hinduism: Earth is supported by an elephant standing on the back of a tortoise.
    Australian: The world was created by the Rainbow Serpent.
    Mormonism: God gave his latest revelation to a recalcitrant womaniser named Joe Smith.
    Christianity: A guy called Noah built a boat and filled it with animals, and Jonah swallowed a whale. Really! 
    Republicanism: A billionaire businessman with a reputation for cheating and lying will serve four years as president without being impeached.

The Koran! well, come put me to the test—
    Lovely old book in hideous error drest—
    Believe me, I can quote the Koran too,
    The unbeliever knows his Koran best.
      -- Omar Khayyam (le Galienne's paraphrase)

February 21, 2017 8:56 PM MST

1- "The bridge to Paradise passes over Jahannam and infidels will fall into the flames" is "actually not true"? erm.. you've been there and you're not telling us that you have, right?

2- "and Jonah swallowed a whale. Really!"? Big bad Jonah and the miniature baby whale, I suppose.

3- if it's le Galienne's paraphrase it's unfair to put Omar Khayyam's name first, especially if the writing reflects le Galienne's opinion and not Omar Khayyam's. Mind you if le Galienne couldn't make much sense of the HQ he's not alone. Sir Thomas Carlyle, though a staunch admirer and defender of prophet Mohammed, was so frustrated reading the HQ that he’s quoted as calling it, “as toilsome a reading as I ever undertook. A wearisome confused jumble.”
      March 28, 2017 9:30 AM MDT

• Hi Zack,

Well this is not answering your question, but here is a myth that maybe it really is true, however I never believed it at all, and in fact it launched me into thirty years of atheism, and I was only 13 years old...here it comes...

Only people of (my denomination) are going to heaven!

Then I got into the Church of Scientific Materialism, but it took me a while longer to see through THEIR mythology...
      February 21, 2017 9:50 PM MST

Right back where you started?
      February 21, 2017 9:52 PM MST

• Hi Zack/GX,
    Well Dozy has me worried that it might not be really too polite to answer questions with quotes from someone else...so please forgive me for going to t.s. eliot here...but you will see why I thought of this...

February 21, 2017 10:15 PM MST

I know what you mean! I only know one way to my brother's house, so if he takes me for a ride and comes back from the other side, I have no idea where we are until he pulls into the driveway.
      February 22, 2017 2:20 AM MST

• Completely off subject but you might enjoy this: 

A man walked into Myers and said, “I’d like to buy a bra for my wife.”

“What type?” asked the clerk.

“You mean there’s more than one type?”

“Lots,” she said. “But basically they come down to just four. We hve Catholic, Salvation Army, Presbyterian and Baptist. Does that help?”

“What’s the difference?”

“It’s really quite simple,” she said. “Catholic bras support the masses. Salvation Army bras lift the fallen. Presbyterian bras keep them firm and upright. And the Baptist bras make mountains out of mole hills.”

February 21, 2017 9:53 PM MST

• Yes Dozy, totally enjoy that...
      February 21, 2017 10:09 PM MST

Yes, I had been told that some people in India worship cows. One day an Indian told me they don't actually worship them, they just don't eat them. Same as Americans don't eat dogs.
      February 22, 2017 2:21 AM MST

• Oh?
    I thought canines at high temperature, topped at times with feline-sup, were a favourite nutritional source in America!
      February 22, 2017 9:03 AM MST

"Americans don't eat dogs" well, at least not when they've gone cold.
      March 28, 2017 9:38 AM MDT

• When I was a youngster, I was taught I needed to bless someone who sneezes.  "The practice of blessing someone who sneezes."
      February 22, 2017 2:44 AM MST

not that i can think of right now
      February 22, 2017 10:28 AM MST

Is there a myth that you believed about a religion that's actually not true?

===============================================

Yes, quite a few about Islam really, like Islam is violent, promotes violence, was spread by violence, oppresses women, is about a moon god, is anti Christ, etc, but the most fundamental one is that Islam is a new religion invented by Mohammed.

Myth buster: Islam means submission to the will of God. That fundamentally is what all theistic religions are all about. Moses came to teach his followers how to do the will of God as detailed in the so called law of Moses. Jesus said that his meat or food is to do the will of the one who sent him [for example, John 4:34, John 5:30, John 6:38 and Luke 22:42] and added in Matthew 12:50 that “whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother”

Islam is thus not a new religion but a continuation and development of the same religion taught by all those who have ever been appointed by God for the guidance of people.
      March 28, 2017 10:29 AM MDT