Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Do you believe that we need religion or can we just be the best people that we can without it?

Do you believe that we need religion or can we just be the best people that we can without it?

Posted - February 22, 2017

Responses

i think it depends on the person whether they feel they need it or not, everyone is different
      February 22, 2017 9:25 AM MST

• I don't think people have evolved enough to be without religion. That's like a teenager asking if he still needs parental control.
    Humans are too immature, selfish, and cruel to be let loose out there without an authority figure.
    On a more practical way, Organized Religion finances about 75 percent of charities at least in the U.S.. So, until somebody else is willing to shoulder that responsibility, I'd say yeah, we need religion around.
      February 22, 2017 9:26 AM MST

I don't believe in a religion, my answer will be no. However, as long as people don't use their religion to judge and harm others I'm good with them believing what they want. It's their freedom as mine is not to do so.
      February 22, 2017 9:52 AM MST

I don't believe you need religion to be a good person.  There are plenty of people who claim to be religious that do terrible things.
      February 22, 2017 10:31 AM MST

• You don't need religion to be a good person I agree but if you took God out of the Ten Commandments they would still be good rules to live by.

I also agree with you about people who claim to be religious who use that to justify their every move.  I joined a Christian website and I have to say they were the nastiest most vicious group of people I've ever come across, I ended up having to block that site.
      February 22, 2017 10:09 PM MST

• If you need religion to be a good person then you aren't really a good person.  Not when your morality is dictated on fear of retribution or denial of reward instead of empathy for others.
    Some people behave because of religion, however I don't consider that a good person. Some people do find religion because they are good people.

Considering the amount of repression and terror brought on the world in the name of religion, all the while acknowledging the good deeds and rewards it's brought, I would argue  the idea that we  need it as a metaphorical "parental control".  Seems individuals and groups that make up the human race are equally capable of both, with or without. For every good deed that has been done in the name of religion there has been an act of evil committed in the name of religion and vice-versa. It's a wash. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 22, 2017 8:50 PM MST
      February 22, 2017 11:38 AM MST

• If not from religion, where does your morality come from, Glis? This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 22, 2017 8:43 PM MST
      February 22, 2017 11:49 AM MST

• Empathy and reason.

It's like when people argue with " If you don't believe in God then what stops you from raping and killing?"   Morality, empathy, and reason. The ability to think outside of myself and place myself in the shoes of others.  That and a certain level of comfort. I don't care who you are,  things get ugly when you're hungry.  God figure or no god figure.  Even still a decent person feels remorse for it.
      February 22, 2017 12:07 PM MST

• When I was younger and still had some faith left I wasn't what I would call a very good person.  I had faith in righteousness and virtue on my side that allowed me to excuse some very bad behaviour even though deep down I did not feel good about it.
      February 22, 2017 12:09 PM MST

• Well stated Glis....now I don't have to answer! ;)
      February 22, 2017 2:32 PM MST

• Reason doesn't really explain sympathetic behavior. Unless you want to say that we have evolved tocare for each other in order to, you know, perpetuate ourselves. Then, maybe.
    If you are saying that your sense of empathy is the source of your morality. . .
    That would mean that I could have a.different morality than yours, as our empathy capabilities would be different.
    But, isn't there a morality that applies to us all, regardless of our own set of values? Like not killing and stealing and things that applies to us all across time and culture. Where does that come from, if not from outside of us? 
      February 22, 2017 5:27 PM MST

• Gene and meme.
      February 22, 2017 6:02 PM MST

• I was going to take the same line but you said it better. Now I won't bother.
      February 22, 2017 2:36 PM MST

• Dear Zack/GenX,

If I were to go with a short, accurate answer it would be Pearl, above...29 stars.

However in exploring this on Blurt, it appears that statistically, far more murder and mayhem has been committed in the name of atheism than in the name of God...

And Lago's point also...when I myself have tried to interest atheist groups in supporting good causes, none yet even respond, while Christians will go all out, a beautiful light in their eyes of "when you have helped these the least of my brethren..."

I hope The Zee comes to your Q, but, well, maybe we do need religion, at least for the time being...this from Hitler:

"After the destruction of Judaism, the extinction of Christian slave morals must follow logically... We are fighting against the perversion of our soundest instincts. ...That poison with which both Jews and Christians have spoiled and soiled the free, wonderful instincts of man and lowered them to the level of doglike fright."
    ~ A. Hitler

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 22, 2017 5:21 PM MST
      February 22, 2017 11:45 AM MST

• Hitler wasn't an atheist.
      February 22, 2017 12:07 PM MST

• Thank you Glis, it is a point well taken, I found these quotes online:

From MEIN KAMPF: "Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord."

Then in 1933 speech: "We have therefore undertaken the fight against the atheistic movement, and that not merely with a few theoretical declarations: we have stamped it out."
      February 22, 2017 12:36 PM MST

• Personally I don't think Hitler knew what he believed on these types of things.  Having read many of his words I've come the conclusion he didn't put much effort or time into such philosophical thinking of that kind.
      February 22, 2017 12:41 PM MST

• Glis...I have been interested in what motivated Hitler...
    ...coming to the idea that he may actually have thought he was carrying out the will of a Higher Power...

At the beginning of his military aggression, there were some spectacular successes; against all the odds. Then later, he began to (apparently intentionally) mount  impossible military campaigns, and I have wondered if he might have expected Divine Providence to carry it off for him.

In fact, these absurd military investments are supposed to have contributed to his ultimate defeat...we may never know how close we came to losing WWII...with Hitler himself ultimately shooting himself in the foot...

Just some contemplating I do!
      February 22, 2017 12:53 PM MST

• Two things were the prime motivation for Hitler  in my opinion.

German exceptionalism

A strong belief that a nation's and/ or ethnic group's highest valour and justification comes at military superiority.

He had a hyper sense of the Prussian ideals.  The racism came second to all that. The only reason he really started to hate jews and other races was that he felt there was balme on them for undermining and suppressing that German Exceptionalism and weakening it's military might. That led him to fall down the rabbit hole towards ethnic superiority and what not.  That's my personal theory anyway. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 22, 2017 8:53 PM MST
      February 22, 2017 1:02 PM MST

• Hi Glis, I appreciate hearing your thoughts...sometimes I think our personal theories/insights are actually more accurate...not sure, if you would be so kind, how did Hitler come tp perceive Judaism as suppressing German Exceptionalism/weakening its military might?

I do recall that during that era, there was great interest over much of the world in human eugenics to create superlative human beings...the Hitler experience putting an end (mostly) to THAT idea...
      February 22, 2017 1:41 PM MST

• Jews had been looked at with growing distrust and contempt for awhile, but a lot of it came down to WW1.
    The Jewish community in general didn't really get involved or provide much support for the German war effort.  It was kinda seen as not their battle. The Jewish communities were kind of tight nit and for various reasons didn't suffer the poverty and faired better than the typical Germans after WW1 and the Treaty of Versailles.  So basically it was easy to paint them as the scapegoat that was eating at German wealth and resources but not willing to sacrifice for the German cause.  Then yes, we have the the quakery of eugenics and Thulean esoteric thought start mixing in.
    Hitler and some others put a large chunk of blame of  Germany losing WW1 on the Jewish population.

There were some Jews who came to the German war effort though.  Fritz Haber developed the gas attack program for Germany in WW1 and his discovery  was ultimately what was used by the Nazi's in the gas chambers.  Haber being a Jew who had a strong German nationalism.  His thought was that he could prove that Jews could be "good" Germans and wanted to help his country. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 22, 2017 2:32 PM MST
      February 22, 2017 2:08 PM MST

• Very informative, and appreciated Glis...I did not know that about Fritz Haber...nor the blaming of the Jews for German loss of WWI.

But I do recall reading about how the Jews were really just blamed for a lot over history; for example the Black Death, bubonic plague...lots of persecution of the Jews, people in their desperation putting the blame on them...

Now ima go Google Thulean esoteric thought, have not heard of that...high time to learn more things today, ty!
      February 22, 2017 2:16 PM MST

• Thule society.
      February 22, 2017 2:19 PM MST

• Oh Glis...this explains SO much...big pieces in understanding Nazi phenomenon...I found this:
    "The Thule Society identified Ultima Thule as a lost ancient landmass in the extreme north, near Greenland or Iceland, said by Nazi mystics to be the capital of ancient Hyperborea."
    Ultima Thule became associated with Plato's Atlantis, and the swastika likewise connected...and then you find '...
    had to sign a special "blood declaration of faith" concerning their lineage:'The signer hereby swears to the best of his knowledge and belief that no Jewish or coloured blood flows in either his or in his wife's veins, and that among their ancestors are no members of the coloured races.

Big pieces of the puzzle today for me in understanding...appreciate your info.
      February 22, 2017 2:34 PM MST