Discussion » Questions » Humor and Jokes » Is there any word that adequately describes a lavatory without resorting to being cute?

Is there any word that adequately describes a lavatory without resorting to being cute?

In the US  they're called bathrooms or johns. (Indeed, Richard Ianelli in his Devil's New Dictionary described a demijohn as being "Half a bathroom."
In England it's the loo, or the lav, or the khazi.
In Australia we go to the dunny.
Bears just go in the forest.
What is it called in your neck of the woods?

Posted - February 22, 2017

Responses

The Head? Nothing cute about that. This post was edited by Zack at February 23, 2017 9:57 AM MST
      February 22, 2017 6:17 PM MST

It has a ring through it. I mean to it.
      February 22, 2017 6:23 PM MST

• Lol :)
      February 22, 2017 6:51 PM MST

• Head is good. Very nautical. :)
      February 22, 2017 6:22 PM MST

• Of course head is good lol
      February 22, 2017 6:51 PM MST

February 22, 2017 6:54 PM MST

• The crapper

The sh**tter

The pot

The throne
      February 22, 2017 6:18 PM MST

• I've used the first and the last but never the other two. I've also used "the library". 
    I knew a woman whose dog didn't have normal canine functions: it either did a major or a minor. That's become a joke around our place since we met her. :)
      February 22, 2017 6:23 PM MST

• But original, WW, and imaginative. Have you considered going into business providing public facilities under that name. It's got a real Madison Avenue ring to it. :) 
      February 22, 2017 6:25 PM MST

• Didge... What about spend a penny
    Ablutions is always good to get a reaction, even though not technically correct ... Yellow snow?.... It's funny when you think about it ... Many expressions come to mind for coitus, but going to the loo???... Is it just me or does this indicate a whole cultural aversion to the subject?
    And let's not forget Thomas Crapper!
      February 22, 2017 6:57 PM MST

• Back in the late 1950s or early 1960s the Pacific and Orient Steamship Company (P&O) built their Sydney headquarters. Along the Hunter Street footpath was a modern sculpture. Check the picture: 

One newspaper ran a feature on it claiming that it was a urinal and, while P&O didn't intend it to be free, anybody who didn't have a penny to spend could just pee and owe. 

February 22, 2017 8:09 PM MST

• And i saw on a doco recently where the guys from Oz magazine i think were  pictured using it as one?
      February 22, 2017 8:48 PM MST

• I'll bet that happens a lot. 
      February 22, 2017 8:57 PM MST

Toilet
    Commode
    The John
    The Loo
    Porcelain Throne
    The Flusher

February 22, 2017 7:27 PM MST

• And, of course, anybody who has been drinking too much is like to make a phone call on the big white telephone. :(
      February 22, 2017 8:58 PM MST

Human dumpster;))
    ( ok don't go and search for it on google...it's coined right now!)
      February 22, 2017 7:30 PM MST

• Well, that's appropriate... :)
      February 22, 2017 8:58 PM MST

umm thanks;))
      February 22, 2017 10:48 PM MST

• "LATRINE" .. (French)   a toilet or outhouse,
    especially a communal one in a camp or barracks.

(nothing cute about a latrine, they're all business)

February 22, 2017 8:30 PM MST

• That all business reminds me of a limerick I quoted recently: 

A silly old fellow from Ryde
    Fell into a dunny and died., 
    Later his brother
    Fell into another
    And they lay there, interred, side by side. 
      February 22, 2017 9:00 PM MST

• (smiles)
      February 22, 2017 9:10 PM MST

• Dear Didge,

My favourite term is...The Water Closet.

You could also say, with proper delicacy, The Public Convenience or The Comfort Station.

And of course none of (clearing throat) MY friends would ever use this one, but there is a rumour that some people actually use the term...boghouse.
      February 22, 2017 10:13 PM MST

• Since you've brought it up...

A commuter walked in to a public lavatory one night to find the regular cleaner sitting in a deck chair, wearing a Hawaiian shirt, sunblock on his nose, eating a pizza, with a can of beer on the floor beside him. He asked what was going on and the cleaner said, "I asked my boss about holidays and he said I could take them at my convenience."

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 23, 2017 2:15 PM MST
      February 22, 2017 10:43 PM MST

• It's true. I this neck of the woods part of the world, 'going to the bog' is a common expresion thing. Don't care much for it myself. But yes, water closet is pretty good. Often one finds 'WC' plastered over a public toilet facility even to this day.

February 23, 2017 5:09 AM MST