Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » Would you choose immortality if you could still have the option to die at any time? Why or why not? Pros and cons.

Would you choose immortality if you could still have the option to die at any time? Why or why not? Pros and cons.

Posted - February 22, 2017

Responses

That's deep. I would have all the time in the world and the resources to improve myself mentally, physically and financially. The alternative is spending eternity being someone that doesn't have the means to improve himself. Essentially being homeless for eternity. Quite the conundrum. In that case, please kill me. This post was edited by Zack at February 22, 2017 10:16 PM MST
      February 22, 2017 7:09 PM MST

No, immortality is boring....I want to see what's in the afterworld;))
      February 22, 2017 7:36 PM MST

• As long as I could be eternally young. I wouldn't want to be an old man for 300 years...
      February 22, 2017 7:36 PM MST

to be honest
    I couldn't choose other than what it is.
    It's so perfect
    if I put on blinders, I could make
    some choices...haha
      February 22, 2017 7:49 PM MST

• No. I'm old. I'm tired. I would enjoy another 50 years or so but beyond that would be a big ask.
      February 22, 2017 8:01 PM MST

How about you get to pick your age??
      February 22, 2017 8:11 PM MST

• I don't think so. Robert Heinlein covered this pretty well in his Time Enough for Love in which his character, Lazarus Long, was almost 1,000 years old. Viereck and Eldridge also tackled it in their 1930-ish novel My First 2,000 Years, the tale of Ahasuerus (aka Cartaphilus), the Wandering Jew. 

I was reading the second of those one lunchtime and a workmate asked, "What's that about?" I told him it was about a man who had lived for 2,000 years. And, so help me, he asked, "Is it fiction?" Well, duh...
      February 22, 2017 8:21 PM MST

I would not choose immortality.  I am a true believer in there is a time and a place for everything.  My time and your time is now.  It will be someone else's time when we depart.  You should never overstay your welcome. This post was edited by Merlin at March 3, 2017 4:49 PM MST
      February 22, 2017 10:06 PM MST

• Oh yes Merlin, your beautiful point about not overstaying the welcome, knowing when to take our leave, decamp, absquatulate...a fine art...comes a time when we got other fish to fry, etc.!

And I do take joy in your lovely friendship, beautiful Merlin!
      February 23, 2017 1:08 AM MST

• Dear Standard Alien,

If by immortality you mean to stay here on Blue Marble Earth in a physical body, then the answer is no, NO, no-thank-you...

I been here 72 years and counting now, been here and done that.

Got a few loose ends to tie up, such as finish up saving this world with the help of Blurters and now hopefully aMuggers...
    And yes it has been entertaining, but why stay here and reprise the same old stuff, my research indicates there is more interesting experience to come, let's get the Show on the Road!
      February 22, 2017 10:29 PM MST

Hi VirginiaL Good For You and Thank You for being so wise and wonderful!!!   Your thoughts and goals are inspiring.   Many people who have as many or more years on this glorious planet aren't as open in thought.  They feel they are missing something.  When, in all actuality, this is just a stop in their travels.  Like you, I happen to like this planet and do things everyday to make sure I don't leave a footprint. Well, maybe on some people I would like to be remembered with a small happy footprint; but, not on the lovely planet itself.  
    Thank you again VirginiaL for being part of this and my/our friend  :) :)

February 23, 2017 12:36 AM MST

• Gotta love that answer, Virginia. 
      February 23, 2017 3:13 AM MST

There are a lot of other aspects to be considered

Like fx:
    - Immortal and with perfect health, but senility still begin in your 80-s.
    - Immortal and killable, but recreatable at any time from stored 'blueprints' (including memories up until the time you were stored)

This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at February 23, 2017 12:36 AM MST
      February 22, 2017 10:54 PM MST

No...no immortality for me.  I have reached the age and stage where life has begun to resemble a game of 'last man standing' and I'm in the finals.  I becomes sad and lonely long before you ever get to immortality.  I'm not interested in surviving everyone and everything I ever held dear.
      March 3, 2017 4:48 PM MST

Immortality is only bestowed to a select and handful of humans. It is not for them to decide. Immortality is only given by and gifted by God the sovereign Lord of the universe. (1corinthians 15:38-57)
      March 11, 2017 11:16 PM MST