Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Humor and Jokes » What newspaper or magazine cartoon can you bring to mind?

What newspaper or magazine cartoon can you bring to mind?

Looking back, can you think of one or two that were significant or particularly funny? Are you able to locate them on the Net or describe them here? 

Posted - February 22, 2017

Responses

In June of 1979 when John Wayne died, a few days later in our local newspaper there was a cartoon depicting him at the Pearly Gates in all his cowboy regalia, a puny and scared-looking Saint Peter standing before him.  The Duke is holding a harp, a white robe and a pair of wings that have just been issued to him, and he's saying, " . . . and who thinks I'm going to wear these duds?  Why a man'd look silly . . . "

~
      February 22, 2017 9:08 PM MST

• Classic. :)
      February 22, 2017 9:29 PM MST

First frame:  Man sits strapped into a fighting chair on a sport fishing boat.  He has very heavy tackle and has a sly smile on his face.
    Second frame:  Deck of the sport fishing boat is shown absent the fighting chair except for mutilated remains of some of the fasteners that held it down.
      February 22, 2017 9:16 PM MST

• Musta been a beauty. It got a laugh even in the description. You have a knack, Ishmael. :)
      February 22, 2017 9:28 PM MST

• "Far Side" cartoons were funny

February 22, 2017 9:29 PM MST

• Clever. :)
      February 22, 2017 9:39 PM MST

• They're usually a little on the dark side ... lol

February 22, 2017 9:49 PM MST

• almost any far side by Larsen... and Calvin  and Hobbs... funny but pointing out the absurdity of life
      February 22, 2017 10:22 PM MST

Franquins "Spirou et Fantasio"
      February 22, 2017 10:35 PM MST

• Helluva parade. Is that Maggie sitting in the lead car? 
      February 22, 2017 10:49 PM MST

I honesty I dont remember any Maggie in the Spirou comic
      February 22, 2017 10:58 PM MST

Going into my way back machine I remember a cartoon in a men's magazine, it was their December 19?? issue. It showed a bedroom with many Yuletide decorations. There was a man in front of a mirror, getting dressed in women's clothing singing, "Now we don our gay apparel, fa la, la la,la".

February 23, 2017 4:54 AM MST

• And you created a picture of it. Thanks, Ancient One.

My old time favourite appeared on page 1 of the Sydney Morning Herald the day after the Israelis sent in a commando team to rescue the hostages being held by terrorists. Idi Amin had been publicly ringing his hands about not being able to do anything. 

The cartoon was totally black with the only break coming from a conversation balloon pointing down to an invisible Idi Amin and reading, "What de heck bin goin' on down here?" The caption was "Entebbe at Midnight". 
      February 23, 2017 8:52 AM MST

I remember reading Mad Magazine.  It pointed out the absurdities of life, current events, popular shows & movies.  Sometimes there were really funny hits, sometimes there were misses.  But, generally, it was good for a chuckle or two.

February 23, 2017 5:13 AM MST

• Mad was very popular back in the day. I used to work with a guy we called Alfred. He looked just like Alfred E. Newman. He lives in my area now and still looks much the same, only older. Thanks, Harry.
      February 23, 2017 8:55 AM MST