Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » You have a great idea that will benefit many people. The opposition party likes/accepts it too. Would you reject/disavow it because of that?

You have a great idea that will benefit many people. The opposition party likes/accepts it too. Would you reject/disavow it because of that?

How much sense does that make?  You turn your back on something YOU CREATED because some people you dislike like it. Why would any reasonable person do that? What's the point...the logic..the essentiality of it?

Posted - February 23, 2017

Responses

• Of course not. That would be silly, and selfish. 

Back in the 1980s the federal opposition had a spokesman for science named Barry Jones. This man was a genuine polymath -- a rarity among politicians. During an interview he said that he had submitted a recommendation (of the type your question suggests) to the incumbent Prime Minister who took no action because it had come from the opposition party. Jones said, "I know he read it because is lips were chapped."
      February 23, 2017 9:41 AM MST

Well the Republicans created Obamacare.  Mitt Romney utilized it in Massachusetts. It worked very well and very swell. They turned their back on it when Obama liked it and tried to implement it. They are the dumbest stupids in the history of the world or stupidist dummies. That is what we are stuck with. People who so hate that they reject their own ideas just to sabotage/undermine/cripple. Dumbheads the lot of them. SIGH. Thank you for your reply Didge! It distresses me that the dumbheads are winning. Stupids reign supreme. Why oh why oh why oh why oh why? :(

February 23, 2017 10:44 AM MST

• Politics is one of society's diseases, Rosie. America has a more virulent strain than most but you're not the only country whose politicians are back-stabbing parasites.
      February 23, 2017 1:32 PM MST

I think in this one area America IS EXCEPTIONAL! The stupid dumbheads rise to the top and take control.  Or maybe, just maybe,  my focus is on the wrong target. It is THE PEOPLE who elect those stupid dumbheads who are to blame. That makes them stupid dumbheads too I guess. One day when I get to know you better I will tell you what I really think! Australia is a far more sensible a country. I mean didn't you guys do something about gun control long ago? Smart. How many gun-related deaths does Australia have each year? Here all you get is a lecture about "guns don't kill people. People kill people". DUH. You say "if gun accessibility were better controlled there would be  fewer people using them and thus fewer gun-related deaths".  Logical no? All you get is that the good guys would suffer for what the bad guys do  if there were more control so their solution is to DO NOTHING at all. Of course. What else? Doing nothing is ever so much better than doing the right thing, the logical thing, the sane thing. Thank you for your reply Didge! This post was edited by RosieG at February 24, 2017 2:41 AM MST
      February 24, 2017 2:27 AM MST

• I can't say I disagree, Rosie, but I'm not going to sit on this side of the Pacific and fire shots at the US. The Trump phenomenon is something so outrageous that the world's cartoonists are rubbing their hands together, gleefully awaiting his next stuff up. But it's not really funny. He's gonna stuff America and he's going to stuff international relationships.
      February 24, 2017 2:43 AM MST

D'ya mean "stiff" rather than stuff or is that an Aussie word for the same thing?? I think The Donald is a threat to the entire world..not just his homies. In my opinion you have as much right to say what you think about him as I do. And so does anyone else. It's not as if we can contain his influence/activity to the United States. He has made certain that we will go down in the history books as having elected the worst possible head of state  and hung in longer than reasonable people  should before we got rid of him. But you know what Didge?  The Donald is a one-trick pony. Every day in every way he screws up...does the wrong thing..says the wrong thing. LIES his a** off. Every day. Nothing changes. He is boringly predictable. Nothing inspiring there. Nothing creative. Nothing substantive. Danger. Deceit. Treason. To be sure. Ho hum. What's new? I go back and forth between being totally disgusted/turned off/numb to being irate/engaged/shocked. Every day. I need a vacation! :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 24, 2017 2:59 AM MST
      February 24, 2017 2:57 AM MST

• It may be a British expression. I thought it was American as well. As I understand it, in American slang if you "stiff" somebody you con them, swindle them, cheat them. To stuff up is to fail to do whatever it is you had undertaken. So his stuff-ups are his failures.
      February 24, 2017 3:01 AM MST

I now have another word I can use. Stuff up is not an expression with which I am familiar. Other Americans may be. To stiff is to cheat/swindle/con/lie/screw so you know it well. The Donald is made up of a lotta nasty stuff. He stuffs up all the time but lies about them and pretzelizes them into successes. He is a compulsive pathological liar. As the mental professionals  have said he has a loose grip on reality and when he doesn't like it he rejects it and makes up stuff. We've got a real "winner" here m'dear. A real "winner". SIGH. Wouldja like to borrow him for, say, 4 years? I'll pay the freight charges! :) Here comes a question! :)
      February 24, 2017 3:21 AM MST

• Maybe instead of a plaque commemorating the opening (better make that closing) of the Mexico Wall we could instead mount his head on a pike over the gate. :)
      February 24, 2017 3:26 AM MST

Hahaha. I can't share with you what came to mind in so many words my friend but I can hint. I thought of another part of his anatomy that we could mount. In a den above the fireplace in the "MAN ROOM". Mounting anything on a pike over the gate leaves it to the vagaries of the weather.  It would deteriorate and where would we get another one to replace it? The mounting on the wall would be protected inside for all time. Wouldn't that be better?  Who would want to look at that face forever after anyway? The other part? Now that would be a novelty, one- of-a-kind! A conversation piece. Thank you for your reply Didge. Bad Rosie. Naughty Rosie. SIGH.
      February 24, 2017 3:33 AM MST