Discussion » Questions » Military » Do those who served in the military have a different view of war than those who didn't? Would it be helpful to elect Pols who have? Why?

Do those who served in the military have a different view of war than those who didn't? Would it be helpful to elect Pols who have? Why?

Posted - February 23, 2017

Responses

• I'm sure that most of us do! I think it would be helpful as some wouldn't be so fast at pulling the trigger to start another conflict. I certainly have a different view of war than most people I know that have never served. The old saying "War is Hell" is true.
      February 23, 2017 8:16 AM MST

Hello Rosie:

I saw some war.  But, I wasn't crawling around in the dirt.  I'd do some shore bombardment, and then go to chow in my NICE clean mess hall.  I'd sleep in my OWN warm bunk every night..

Plus, I got to play with the biggest of the big boy toys.. Show me ONE guy who doesn't like to blow things up.  If your experience was like mine, you might kinda LIKE it..

excon
    This post was edited by excon at February 23, 2017 8:41 AM MST
      February 23, 2017 8:40 AM MST

• A Swabbie, huh? You guys always cheated at Poker and Craps! LOL
      February 23, 2017 8:42 AM MST

The one requirement of a POTUS is that he/she have combat experience.

February 23, 2017 8:46 AM MST

Way back in the day, when there was a draft, most politicians had a personal interest in the military, usually a son of draft age. Military action was not as quick to surface as now.  I believe those who have served or those who are related to those who have served have a much more conservative trigger finger than those who have never seen or felt the reality of war.
      February 24, 2017 4:34 AM MST

Me too Ancient One. Which is why a military guy would be a much better president than one who only went to military school. SIGH. Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Friday!  :)
      February 24, 2017 4:37 AM MST