Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » answerMug » BLOCKING PEOPLE

BLOCKING PEOPLE

I didn't get into an argument on here with anyone, so I have no abuse to report, but I don't like this one particular user. He says really annoying, repeatative comments on my posts and he's just not someone I want to hear from any more. How do I block him?

Posted - February 23, 2017

Responses

I am glad there is no blocking on this site.  I learned by experience that sites that have a block feature actually give some people more licence to be abusive.  On here, we are all held accountable for what we say and open to countering opinions.

Bullying and personal attacks are not tolerated.  If you report a personal attack, the comment is usually taken care of pretty quickly.  If an individual does this on a regular basis, I notice they don't last here.

This post was edited by PeaPod is just popping by at April 5, 2017 12:28 AM MDT
      February 23, 2017 9:38 AM MST

• Like I said, they weren't abusive, they're just stupid. I don't have the patience for it.
      February 23, 2017 10:08 AM MST

I understand.  Ignoring is easier said than done, but it works.  Rude people want a response and move on to someone else's post in hopes of getting it.
      February 23, 2017 10:31 AM MST

• Receiving responses one dislikes is an inherent part of participation in a public site.
      February 23, 2017 10:05 AM MST

• SO IS A BLOCK FEATURE.
      February 23, 2017 10:08 AM MST

I can see why you would want to use a block feature on a particular member, but my experience on another site that has a small membership is that when too many people block each other, there is very little open discussion and the same people are always responding to the same posters.  It's almost like an echo chamber.
      February 23, 2017 10:37 AM MST

Is that site still up?
    I have not looked in over there in a long time.
    The last time I looked in over there the same 6 people were still complaining about the same things.
      February 23, 2017 10:55 AM MST

Yes, it's still up, but rather than growing, it has remained stunted.  One of the six came has unblocked me and is now my "friend."  But, it's still pretty much the same others bitching about the same things and chatting mostly with one another.
      February 23, 2017 1:32 PM MST

That is sad because it could be a good site if it weren't for the few who have screwed it up.
    I take my hat off to you for sticking it out.
      February 23, 2017 2:20 PM MST

I know and they blew it bigly when they didn't listen to what anyone was saying.  I stay because there are still a few members with whom I like to chat.
      February 23, 2017 8:55 PM MST

I was nervous too about joining a site without a blocking feature. And there are a few stinkers on here that I would block in a minute.
    But if you report them to Just Asking she will act on it right away.
    I have reported a couple and I don't know what she said to them, but they don't bother me at all anymore.
    One of them is gone either by his own hand or hers.
    Send her links where you are being bothered and she will take care of it.
      February 23, 2017 10:47 AM MST

It really depends on the types of comments that are being made. If the person is not being abusive and not breaking the TOS, then we just let them be.

We don't offer a block feature for three big reasons.

1) Blocking only hides problems. It doesn't fix them. If we have members who are actually being abusive and people just block them, we still have an abusive member... That member needs to go, not be hidden.

2) Blocking doesn't usually "solve" the problem anyway. When these things are in place, people don't respect them. They'll log out of their account to see the content or create a new account to see it and respond. You haven't fixed anything- you've only encouraged someone who's a PITA to be craftier about how to get to you.

3) Blocking creates a negative environment. Think about other sites you've been on. Has blocking ever stopped a problem? I bet not. Person A blocks Person B. Person B does the same. Only, Person A starts discussions that upsets Person B, and so Person B kicks off his/her own threads in retaliation. This back and forth never ends- they just keep picking away at each other, but in a stealthy way. And, you wind up with cliques- people answering Person A and people answering Person B... who's side are you on? We're supposed to be inclusive here, and so we are.

February 23, 2017 11:11 AM MST

• Why, as a lowly user, should I be concerned about "fixing the problem"? 
    My preference in blocking or not anybody does not only rest on the abusive nature of the person's behaviour.  They could just be unpleasant to me to see or hear. Why should I be forced to have to ignore them?
    I know im not really forced, I know that I could just leave if I don't like it. 
    But the statistical propensity of a certain feature in how it may or may not "fix  a problem", is not really my concern, I just don't want to deal with them. 
    Like the guys that run up to your car with towels and squeezee bottles, I know I can ignore them, but why do I need to deal with them at all. 
      February 23, 2017 11:28 AM MST

You guys craft your own environment here, more or less, but the tools you're given to do so also change your experience. Using the blogs as an example, as I mentioned them on the other page of this discussion, people used to be able to approve/ deny comments. That feature actually killed our blog section entirely. For months, a certain member would create blogs to piss people off and then laugh like hell because he'd block anyone from providing an alternate viewpoint. And, he'd leave dumb comments on blogs. Those bloggers managed their own blogs and just didn't approve his comments, but sure enough, the crap continued and spread from one blog to the next and into the Q&A. Worse yet, it went unchecked and half of our bloggers quit. Sure, they managed it themselves, but they didn't fix it. The butthead still ruined their experience.

Now, fixing the problem ultimately falls on my shoulders and I try to provide a positive environment for people... you're right in this respect. Perhaps it isn't "your job" to make sure the buttheads of the world don't take over. At the same time, if you want tools that will actively impede my ability to control the environment and that will lead to negativity, you're putting me in a situation where I cant do my job effectively. I know you care about the overall environment here and don't take kindly to the buttheads... you do care about fixing the problems, though we may have differences about how to deal with them. I don't think there's any disagreement that they need to be dealt with, though...
      February 23, 2017 11:41 AM MST

• I understand JA,
    But we will never see eye to eye on this one. 
    And I suppose that's alright. 
    As I always say, the site is your vision, and I respect it and admire all the.work you've put into it.
    But im still.going to complain.  :)
    Thanks for your response.
      February 23, 2017 11:48 AM MST

You made a convert out of me JA since I have been on sites that offered a block.  

Every point you make is spot on.  
      February 23, 2017 1:16 PM MST

You have nailed it JA.
    The problem with some of those other sites is that they don't have mods that are as active as the ones here are and need some form of protection when there is little or none for them.
    They could learn a lot from you and how this site is run.
      February 23, 2017 12:11 PM MST

Just ignore the people who bother you.. don't reply or give any attention to the trolls- they'll just go away by themselves. 
      February 23, 2017 11:36 AM MST

Those repeatative comments drive me crazy!!!
      February 23, 2017 9:00 PM MST

• I just want to say that the lack of a block feature makes this better.   Blocking has never done anything but build cliques on websites and blocking instead of ignoring really is for children.

April 5, 2017 12:31 AM MDT

It does work better. I was sceptical first when arriving here, but it has proven to be better, and way less dramatic. I'm convinced, and have been for a long while.
      April 5, 2017 12:34 AM MDT

• I don't why I was digging but I was and found this.
    I said it over and over and over how much blocking drags site quality down on the last site I was on and was mod.  It did nothing but help people start chit-shows.

In all my experience on many sites as mod and user blocking features have never done anything but cause and inflate problems.  It's nice that one finally figured that out and done away with it.  Wanting to block people because we think that they say stupid or annoying things is just being arrogant and elitist.   There is no reason for you to ask a question or post then and need to grow up.
      April 5, 2017 12:46 AM MDT