Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Going topless in Ft Collins Colorado, just made legal. Your thoughts?

Going topless in Ft Collins Colorado, just made legal. Your thoughts?

Is this a step forward, or a step back?
Will it make a difference at all, on anything?

Is it legal to go topless where you live?

Do you think this is a matter of human rights? If men are able to walk around topless, shouldn't women have the same prerogative?

Are these nothing but a bunch of women with nothing better to do than to fight for their right to show their nipples?
If so, why did the courts indulge them on their bouncy shenanigans?

What do you think?

Posted - February 23, 2017

Responses

• Yeah, Tom, . . .but it is the mom. . I don't know. . .not really the same.. .I don't think.
      February 23, 2017 6:19 PM MST

It is absolutely not fair that women have more 'private parts' than men. 
      February 23, 2017 2:40 PM MST

• Why is it not fair Jane?
    Aren't breast a sexualized part of the.woman's body? 
    Saying it's.not fair women have more private parts than men, is like.me complaining because men parts are on the.outside. no? This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 23, 2017 4:48 PM MST
      February 23, 2017 4:47 PM MST

The breast is sexualized because we have made it that way by requiring it to be covered just as ankles were once too shocking to be exposed. Your second point escapes me; I can see how it's the same. It feels good to swim and sunbathe without a top. I think women should have that right. 
      February 23, 2017 4:54 PM MST

• I get you. Thanks Ms Jane.
    With my head, I.know you're right.
      February 23, 2017 4:59 PM MST

Thank you. :)
      February 23, 2017 5:01 PM MST

• You're welcome. 
    I.don't understand it.
    But I understand.
      February 23, 2017 5:04 PM MST

• If ya got it, flaunt it! :)
      February 23, 2017 4:49 PM MST

It's not about 'flaunting it', it's about being just as comfortable as a man is allowed to be.  Try swimming or sunbathing while wearing a bikini top and then tell me it's not about equal rights.
      February 23, 2017 4:57 PM MST

• So then it is about the right to be comfortable? 
    Walking down the.road? 
    The demonstration s were not about the right to be topless at the beach. But everywhere. So the issue is comfort? After all this. Women are just not comfortable.?
    I agree with you btw, I don't think flaunting it has anything to do with it. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 23, 2017 5:13 PM MST
      February 23, 2017 5:03 PM MST

• Of course! What we're currently getting past is the old prohibition against women bearing their breasts. We've come a long way since Victorian times but, clearly, we have some distance to go. 
      February 23, 2017 5:40 PM MST

• I kinda disagree.. (lol but not strongly) i honestly think the motives are way more complex than either just being cos men do it, OR flaunting it, (sorry but there's still a large element of that .. .look at the pic . .two pretty women one smiling guy.. why not to ugly saggy women? how many men would envy being him?) 
    I truly don't believe it's comfortable either.. women are women and anyone with less than a very small breast will know that it's not comfortable to walk around with no bra for too long, it's not comfortable bending down, moving a lot, and definitely not so running, also you get sweaty under there in hot weather.. skin against skin... so comfort doesn't wash with me..Men don't have these issues and their *breasts* tend not to be seen as sexual
      February 24, 2017 3:41 AM MST

Your points on comfort and appearance must be based on your experience. Genetics has more to do with whether or not you sag. As a full-figured woman who prefers to go braless when appropriate and seldom wear a bra at home, I can state that in my own case, I am as perky as I was 30 years ago. In fact, there have been studies that show that wearing a bra causes the muscles that support the breast to weaken and it actually causes sagging. But all that said, if a woman doesn't care about saggy breasts, that's her own business.
      February 24, 2017 5:19 AM MST

• This is a prime example of the sexual nature of our breasts in our society right here. You mention perkiness as desirable aspect of breasts as opposed to the alternative. There really is no biological reason to prefer perky breasts other than appearance. 
    And to reiterate my point, and not trying to be out of place. And if I cross the line, please forgive me. But see??? a month from now. . .im probably not going to remember what you said here... but I will remember your perky breast statement.
    That's not me being a manly pig, that's just the way things are.
    To say that in our society breast are not sexually charged is sorta shortsighted. No?
      February 24, 2017 8:39 AM MST

• Fair doesnt cone into this.. it is what it is.. women have breasts that are more prominent than men... that's just a fact and they ARE not only just considered erogenous zones.. they ARE erogenous zones..  for men too but less obviously so.  Men and women are different.. it is what it is..  So in women, while I see nothing wrong with going topless you would be exposing sexual parts.. (lets not deny that breasts are a sexual entity as well as breast feeding) while for men while their nipples especially can be an erogenous and sexual part, it is not obviously so in terms of sexual parts.
      February 24, 2017 3:25 AM MST

If these guys can do it then why can't we?

February 23, 2017 3:24 PM MST

• And I agree.
    But my question is, is that the only reason? Just because we do it?
    Are women going to demand urinals in their bathrooms just so they can have the privilege of standing up?
    It just seems like such a silly reason...just because we do it.
    What am I missing?
      February 23, 2017 4:44 PM MST

• You made my point for me. And the analogy is perfectly clear. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 24, 2017 9:28 AM MST
      February 24, 2017 12:52 AM MST

What does urinal have to do with topless? Sorry, I don't get that analogy. You got your thing between your legs that makes it possible for you to use urinals with ease. We don't. Topless is a matter of being able to drop the shirt if it gets too warm, or by any other means that are not sexual. Sexualization of the naked body will keep suppressing women towards men. Same laws for everyone, no matter gender. You might say it's merely a matter of turning back what should not have been first place. Improper behavior is covered by other laws after all.
      February 24, 2017 1:59 AM MST

• You are completely and utterly right, as always Sapphic, but the trouble is that the world and people don't work that way...  This is a fascinating subject... I've talked to lots of naturist people.. and the thing is that while in that situation the naked body is supposed to be seen as natural, (and it IS) men, (and women who are so inclined) see it as sexual.. I've talked to a good number of naturist people... and erm.. there is a pretty strong link between naturists and swingers and naturists and family sex...  I am not saying that as a bad thing, or negative just that there seems to be a very strong and openly sexual side to it in naturism... people enjoy LOOKING and that's for sexual reasons.. so it seems that no matter what the pure intentions... it will always be seen as sexual...
      February 24, 2017 3:35 AM MST

I haven't seen any statistics that allows making a statement saying there is a strong link between naturists and swingers and naturists and family sex. This might be the case in the group of naturist people you've talked to, but will be very one-sided as there are naturist groups going strongly against any sexualization of being naturists. As to see if there is a stronger link between naturists and swingers or incestuous behavior you need to compare to a control group of same social backgrounds, family matters etc. that aren't naturists. I don't buy your premise, sorry. As for the always, this again is a very strong word used in this context. Some will maybe/likely always look at breasts, in any situation as something sexual, but I will claim it will be way less than those looking at it in natural ways, unless the situation is of sexual character. 
      February 24, 2017 3:52 AM MST

• There wasn't a group Sapphic.. what i do and what i have done for the past 15 years or so is talk to people all round... my interests are psychology and sexology... I have a few gifts given to me.. I have an ability to connect with people and they feel they can trust me... and they tell me things.. mainly because I am, for the most part unshockable and non-judgmental.. I have an ability to *listen* as it were in a way that fosters people being able to be open...and so I have literally talked to thousands and thousands of people from all over the world.. India, Pakistan, Japan, UK, Ireland, America etc... so it is not a *group*.. and I would say that the *groups* from the US were much more likely to be more *sexual* re nudism than elsewhere.. My feeling is that the thinking that goes along with naturism, aka being more different and non-conformist - tended to also be associated with having *different* views re sexuality...
    You know I am one of your biggest fans ever...and so it's important for me to explain as thoroughly as I can to you, because I respect you.. . I am essentially an observer.. it's what I do... I observe, I talk, I listen, I collect the consensus view.. SO yes, there are many naturist organisations where they are just interested in the natural aspects... indeed I have met some personally.. but consensus tells me that naturists are MORE likely to be *open* minded sexually as well... so that's where the strong link bit comes in.. I am a gatherer of info.. I do it objectively.. I do it to learn.. so I have no motive in saying anything I say... it matters not to me.. I just report what i learn... on that basis.. I too am scientific.. I don't *lead* people, I don't encourage them to tell me what I want to hear, I don't influence them either way.. that's as scientific as you get cos let's face it it's pretty unlikely anyone's gonna do an official study of any link between swingers/naturists and family sex are they? lol just being honest!!  
    Not sure where you say I used the word always?? It wasn't re swingers etc I dont think?
    Sexology is my main field of study...and in that context... I will say I LOVE women, I support women, and I AM a feminist...however, I am also strongly aware from my long association with this.. that women, and I mean less than ZERO disrespect to women are often not very well aware of how men, (generalisation intended so please guys dont get mad) think... an example.. women who wear lowish cut tops, may do so entirely innocently of the fact that men look.. I once posted on EP about a colleague who I KNEW wasnt looking for a man or woman, but who wore heels and shortish skirt..  I said women don't always wear them to attract men.. .and I was right!  But men do, generally, think differently to women when it comes to sex.. this is just one example.. I used always to wear low cut tops... I never even knew back then that men even LOOKED... fact is men do.. (well not all men, gay men and some others excepted) so 10000% respectfully I say to you, I think sometimes women are being quite naive and in their naivety they can end up making the situation and in this case sexualisation of women worse.. Look at the pic.. doesn't that say it all? 
      February 24, 2017 4:25 AM MST

Thank you for a thoughtful response. I think there are lots of reasons why men in our society look at women as they do. I have heard all the excuses used about how women dress, and them literally asking to be raped as an example. No I don't believe it all just being a case of a natural urge, some of it might be, but so was men's beards once, etc. As far as naturism goes, they as a group might be more open towards sexuality, or at least ore aware about their bodies and not ashamed showing. But from that stand point to take the next and make an equal to swingers and family sex (the latter really disturbing thought to me) is where I drop the ball and cannot follow. Btw, swinger sex isn't amoral in my opinion. As far as goes for the pic, I'm not aware if it's linked to Ft Collins, Colorado. As far as I have seen on it, it's posted by the OP to make an bigger emphasis on the question. Sorta the same sensational approach like we know it from the news. I might be wrong, and I am aware protests have been carried out places like this. However, I try to stick to the subject about equal rights more than free a nipple, which is more a slogan. 

Btw, the always will be the last sentence in your previous response to me. :-) Not sure what I should say or think of your fan remark. I try be myself, and I'm right and wrong about a lot of stuff but will always tell it as I see it. I don't look for fans, or being put up in such position of having fans. Hopefully I will have friends and people appreciating me, but that will be all. Thak you though, I know you mean this in positive ways.
      February 24, 2017 5:05 AM MST

• Sexualization of the body pushes women into.what? 
    You do realize that.the whole of procreation is based on sexualizing  the female body. Proper behaviour has very little to do with specialization. Ot is about power. 
    The urinal analogy is clear. 
    Of the only reason for going thru all this is becaise, as you say. It's on my fair. Because men do it. Because of men have the right to go topless then women should to. If the only reason is that. Then anything could be fought for just because somebody else do it.
    It is also incredibly ironic for for some, also, to point out the "suppression thru sexualization" judging by the posts they post.
    So going topless, this whole thing is about, not being warm??
    Seriously? This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 24, 2017 8:50 AM MST
      February 24, 2017 6:13 AM MST

You're making your interpretations of my words being my ideas, and what I said and mean. They aren't, they are what they are... your interpretations. For instance, I have no place said anything such as men have the right to go topless then women should to. It is your biased interpretation of my sayings, and might be fitting into your agenda. As goes for the analogy, it won't hold any water, and I did explain this to you and also why.

I refuse to go into any further arguing with you on this part. Bits are taken out of context and are being simplified by you into something they aren't. I respect your intelligence, please don't ridicule mine with such a reply as above. Have a lovely day. Bye. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 24, 2017 7:02 AM MST
      February 24, 2017 6:22 AM MST