Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Can you think of a single circumstance in your past that might serve as a life lesson either for your children or for us?

Can you think of a single circumstance in your past that might serve as a life lesson either for your children or for us?

American physician, Rachel Remen, wrote, "Facts bring us to knowledge but stories can lead us to wisdom" (from Kitchen Table Wisdom). Wanna share? 

Posted - February 23, 2017

Responses

O.K., I've told this story before---------- when I was about 8, back in the 50's, I read about how starlings (a type of bird) were destroying farmer's crops in the mighty American midwest. I decided to do something about it. I found a starling nest inside a cherry tree that was hollowed out. I poured gasoline down the hole and lit it on fire. After that, I felt really ashamed of myself. I asked my mother to take me to church to seek forgiveness. This is how I 'got religion'.  Today, I maintain 40-odd birdhouses on my farm to cater to birds, including starlings , who use birdhouses. I have also read that starlings are actually not into field crops, they like insects. This post was edited by B.H.Wilson at February 23, 2017 11:15 PM MST
      February 23, 2017 5:07 PM MST

• Lovely story, bh, and just the sort of thing i had in mind. Thanks. :)
      February 23, 2017 5:33 PM MST

This was an assignment for an English class a long time ago. That's why it is presented in both prose and poem.

The year was 1955 and I was in the sixth grade. We lived in the desert, in a town with no social life. Television didn't exist, and it was a one mile walk to a movie theater. The only cultural input was a classical music program once a week on the radio, and the teacher always let the class listen to it.  

One day a professional violinist came to town to do a concert. I didn't hear about him until he showed up at the school to play for us kids. I was thrilled because I had never heard a live person play a violin. It was darn seldom that I heard or saw anything good at all. I loved it. He announced that if we wanted to go to his big concert there was a special price for students, one dollar and eighty cents.

I was electrified. I could go to a real concert and listen to a real musician playing real music. I had only heard about such things. All I had to do was find $1.80, not easy when my only source of income was collecting pop bottles for the two cent deposit. When I got home from school I went crazy. Home at three, concert at seven, four hours to pull off a miracle, and two of them had to be spent getting dressed and getting to the auditorium. There was only one auditorium. I hopped on my bicycle and rode frantically out of town, watching for pop bottles. I rode for about an hour, then rode back. You better believe I didn't miss a single bottle along that highway. I  cashed in my find and counted it: $1.15 (quart size beer bottles were worth a nickel). I counted it again, hoping for better results: still only $1.15. I needed sixty five cents more. It occurred to me that maybe I should have ridden just a little farther out that highway, but I rejected that thought: I knew I had done all that was humanly possible, and now I was out of time. There was only one thing left I could do: beg. That is what I did. Of course I was smart enough to say "borrow". One brother had the money, and didn't mind giving it to me. It surprised me that he had the money, and even more that he would hand it over with no explanation, but I was in too much of a hurry to ponder those things.

With the money problem whipped, I turned my efforts to getting ready in the short time left. I showered and dressed and started looking for a ride. Dad was gone. Mom didn't drive. Three brothers were home, and two had cars. I asked the first to drive me to town. "Why?" he demanded. That was pretty normal for him. I told him. He refused. He didn't like that stuff and he didn't think I had any business going. That was pretty normal for him too. I knew there was no changeing his mind, and I didn't have time to try. I ran to find my other brother. He was nicer, but the answer was the same: "No. You wouldn't like  it!"

It took me forty years to try again to get something that took a lot of effort.

Sweet are the sounds of the concert hall,
     I've heard them on radio.
    And I've heard of ballet, in big theaters,
     where people pay to go.
    I've heard of paintings and statues,
     and people so nicely dressed,
    Who stand and stare at the skill so rare,
     the best admiring the best.

I wanted to join the human race.
     Silly me, I was just a kid.
    I thought I could join by buying a ticket:
     that's what everybody else did!
    Of course I didn't have the price,
     but I thought I knew where to get it.
    It was a gamble that took some work
     and I was willing to bet it.

I didn't know that becoming a human
     took some help from others.
    But I found out the very first time
     I asked for help from my brothers.
    How can a kid learn self respect
     except someone should give it?
    How can a young man find a life
     if nobody lets him live it?

Well, now I've finally learned some tricks
     (tho' my hair is grey and my ears itch),
    That I can use to get a life;
     I've even been mistaken for rich!
    I've found that I can get what I want,
     whatever I put in my mind.
    I've learned how to plan, to save, and to work;
     But I'm forty years behind!

February 23, 2017 5:33 PM MST

• Good post!
      February 23, 2017 5:38 PM MST

That was amazing!  Thanks for sharing your story.
      February 23, 2017 5:42 PM MST

• Jewels, that's really great. I'm having vision problems at the moment and had to increase the size to read it. It was worth doing. Thanks. 
      February 23, 2017 10:42 PM MST

• Exquisitely beautiful story, wonderfully told.
      February 23, 2017 11:22 PM MST

Be very aware of your surroundings, along with everyone and everything in it.  
    One day you might just lift your leg to pee, realize too late it's on the wrong person and suddenly find yourself under arrest.

Hope this helps someone.
      February 23, 2017 5:39 PM MST

• Thanks, Harry. 
      February 23, 2017 10:43 PM MST

• Hi Dozy,
    It was probably 1959, when I would have been fourteen...and The Most Wonderful Idea Ever, I was going to do a survey! Go around my high school, asking people their favourite color and what the color meant to them...oh this was SCIENCE.

Then the English teacher took me aside, told me what a thoroughly absurd and generally awful idea THAT was... took me many years to finally come to understand that adults can be more shut down than the young...

Now in my age, I make it a point to try and see the light in the other person's eyes, and reflect it back to them rather than quench it.
      February 23, 2017 11:42 PM MST

• A lesson well learned. 

In a sense, I learned a parallel lesson. My teacher, his name was Furness (I haven't forgotten him) called half a dozen of us to the front of the class and asked why we hadn't done our homework. The other five made excuses which were obviously lies. I didn't want to do the same and just said, "No excuse." So he let them off with a warning but he caned me. I learned that day that some people aren't worthy of the truth.
      February 24, 2017 2:49 AM MST

I have many stories I could tell. One happened when I was an 8th grader. I was taking piano lessons and I was so dedicated to my music, I would spend all my free time practicing. I had so much determination. The story is about the time my parents decided to take a trip to California and take all of us kids. It was the trip of a lifetime, because none of us had been to California. 

However, I told my parents that I could not go with them because I just could not see myself missing my piano lesson. So my parents left me with my grandmother and they took off for a week. The lesson is that if you have a passion for something, you should follow it. In my case, it paid off. I'm a classical pianist as well as an artist! :-) 
      February 24, 2017 12:15 AM MST

• First, congratulations. As a man with no musical ability I have so much respect for you ... I can almost feel envy! I'm glad you made it. It must have cost you big time to skip that trip but it clearly paid off. 

Yesterday I watched a video of Judit Polgar who, as a little girl, set her sights on becoming the world chess champion. Not just the women's champion, but champion overall. And she dedicated herself to it. She became the strongest woman player of all time and although she did not win the championship she has, in her career, beaten eleven current or former world champions, including the legendary Gary Kasparov. She is amazing. I think what you did has the same dedication.
      February 24, 2017 2:53 AM MST