Active Now

Malizz
Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Family » Have you inherited any heirloom?

Have you inherited any heirloom?

Posted - February 23, 2017

Responses

• Yes, when my Uncle Jack passed away, he left me two of his WW2 vintage airplanes that he had restored. A couple went to his sons and two were given to me. Beautiful old planes. I loved them. A BF-109G and a B-25. Wonderful planes to fly but the one I really wanted was this P-38. but one of his sons sold it off before we could get to it. The blue one was great to fly and that's an old picture of me flying it.
      February 24, 2017 6:41 AM MST

Hi Rooster, thank you for your response....( I forgot I asked this question, sorry for the delay in noticing) oh wow I'm amazed and God flying that beauty must have been so much fun and exciting.....just great!
      February 25, 2017 11:40 PM MST

• That it was!
      February 26, 2017 6:14 AM MST

• Hi Rooster ... Or Mr Cogburn ..:) ... I love old planes... I'm a nerd! .. I once heard the P38 was more or less designed for the raid against Yamoto in new Guinea I think... Speed and range .. do you know if that's true?
      February 26, 2017 5:41 PM MST

• I don't know about designed for as it was already in service at the time but they were used for their great range and power to intercept Yamamoto's planes and shoot them down. Heavily armed. That was fastest plane I flew next to the Mustang. My BF-109 was fast, light and nimble. Germans built good planes.
      February 26, 2017 5:48 PM MST

• Thanks for that ... And it's great that people like your uncle are keeping them flying and alive :)
      February 26, 2017 6:04 PM MST

• There were 8 in all and he was working on a Japanese Zero when he passed away. Here is a picture of my cousin's B-24. Kind of hard to see but I painted all the graphics on it.
      February 26, 2017 6:10 PM MST

• It's beautiful .. strange thing to say about an instrument at, I know ... I'm in the civil aviation industry ... Just cookie cutter aircraft with no soul .. pure economics at work ... I once read an article about a squadron of Italian sea planes that took off from the Med and flew to and landed in NY harbour pre war .. they were a beautiful plane as only the Iranians can do ... Twin boom like the P38 but beautiful lines ... I've looked but can never find a pic of those planes
      February 26, 2017 6:17 PM MST

• I'll dig through my stuff and see if I can find them for you.
      February 26, 2017 6:19 PM MST

• Thank you ... If you're anything like me you'll discover three hundred other interesting things on the way!
      February 26, 2017 6:24 PM MST

The failure gene.
      February 26, 2017 6:16 AM MST

Aww don't say that ;((
      February 26, 2017 11:04 PM MST