Active Now

Slartibartfast
Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Do you like liver with onions?

Do you like liver with onions?

Yum

Posted - February 24, 2017

Responses

I NEVER want that stuff near my mouth EVER again.
      February 24, 2017 1:54 PM MST

YES. It is a favorite of mine ;-)
      February 24, 2017 2:17 PM MST

• No way. Liver should be outlawed. The smell of it cooking is enough to make me puke.
      February 24, 2017 2:18 PM MST

• No thanks. I don't care for organ meats. 
      February 24, 2017 2:22 PM MST

I like liver. You can keep the onions.
      February 24, 2017 2:28 PM MST

Depends on how it is prepared ... but yes
      February 24, 2017 2:31 PM MST

• I never could understand the appeal of eating something who's main purpose is filtering poisons out of the blood....just can't find the logic in it!
      February 24, 2017 2:53 PM MST

• Well said Angela.
      February 24, 2017 2:59 PM MST

Yes Indeed haha
      February 25, 2017 4:58 PM MST

Liver, onions, and I have a history together.  It doesn't matter whose liver it was originally, we have a problem. My taste buds and liver don't get along.  I don't know what it was they said to one another; but liking each other was out.  Much to my dismay, my mother served it every Wednesday night.  My dad was the cook in our house and he worked late on Wednesday nights. Her intentions were good.  Liver is full of iron. She served it with onions, peas, toast and water.
    The problem started one night when the liver refused to be lifted from the plate and into my mouth.  It didn't matter I had 1/2 a bottle of ketchup on my plate.  It wouldn't budge.  My mom and sister continued through dinner, eating what was on their plates, talking about school and work, their days, etc.  Not me and my plate of liver.  We sat there and wouldn't move.  
    Much to my disbelief, they got up and cleared their plates!  My sister went and did her homework and then went to play with Ted, our Golden Retriever.  My mom did the dishes and went outside with my sister and Ted.  They talked and laughed and played.  I could not believe my eyes.  My liver and I sat at the kitchen table.  I was sure I would have better luck with dad.  He would understand that the liver would not get off my plate and into my mouth.  It wouldn't go the distance.
    Dad came home around 8:30, kissed mom and said Hi to me.  After checking on Janice, he and mom sat down at the kitchen table with me.  I noticed he had warmed a plate of liver, onions, peas and made some toast, along with a glass of water. He asked how my day was.  Couldn't he see???  I was having a bit of a dispute with this liver that wouldn't go into my mouth!!!!  He simply said, "if you place a piece in your mouth, it will give you the strength to tell me."  
    We were never forced to finish all the food on our plates.  We were expected to respect the fact we had food every night and someone had made an effort to prepare it for us. 
    On that Wednesday night, liver and onions taught me a few things. Mom and Dad were very diplomatic.  I could never play one against the other. Take three bites and you can be excused. And, finally, it taught me, to this day, I dislike liver and onions immensely. 

February 24, 2017 3:11 PM MST

• As a child I loved liver and onions with yummy gravy, we had it every Thursday but once I discovered what it actually was I refused to eat it.  Same goes for black pudding.
      February 24, 2017 3:12 PM MST

Hi Yogafan ~ That was part of my problem too!  Ick!
      February 24, 2017 3:21 PM MST

No, but I like onions in my liver. That's right! Surgically implanted white, red and green onions on my liver. 
      February 24, 2017 3:14 PM MST

Oh My righty1~  If you are comfortable, please do expound :) I would like to know how that works and the benefits. 
      February 24, 2017 3:20 PM MST

Liver is pretty good and onions are even better, but heaven is a chunk of liver wrapped in bacon and roasted.
      February 24, 2017 4:38 PM MST

I have a package of pre-formed hamburger patties. The product is made of 'beef and beefhearts'.  I am disturbed by this. Next time, I will just get fish.
      February 24, 2017 5:30 PM MST

My  liver likes onions, onion is an underappreciated vegetable. Not only do they provide flavor and taste to a variety of dishes, but they also have several health benefits – particularly for the liver.Folic acid – is essential for protein metabolism and the formation of red blood cells. Liver disease is often accompanied by a deficiency in folic acid. It’s critical to eat foods high in folic acid to lower the risk of a deficiency. Adding a red onion to your salad or chopped onions to your hot dog or hamburger will boost your folic acid.

Onions – are chock full of quercetin, a flavonoid that provides several benefits for the body. Although quercetin is naturally abundant in plant foods, many people do not get enough of it in their diets. Quercetin has been scientifically proven to lower cholesterol and blood pressure. Human and animal studies have shown that quercetin supplements reduce the accumulation of dangerous abdominal and liver fat. Quercetin even helps prevent the development of cancer cells in the liver.

Studies have shown that onions increase bone mineral content, protect and regenerate Vitamin E, and fight type 2 diabetes and obesity. They also contain disulfides, which protect the liver and support detoxification, as well as vinyldithiin, which aids in weight loss.
      February 24, 2017 6:40 PM MST

Thank you, Veena, for that info. I always thought onions were empty calories. 
      February 25, 2017 2:57 AM MST

Thank you, onions are really very good for the body.
      February 25, 2017 6:58 PM MST

I do and I like liver with bacon, too.  It has to be no more than 1/2-3/4" inch thick, though.
      February 24, 2017 8:59 PM MST

Image result for my eyes burn
      February 24, 2017 9:53 PM MST

• "No" ... or anything else!

February 25, 2017 3:08 AM MST

When I was a child, I detested eating liver, but now as an adult, I love it. Liver and onions make for a great meal. 
    ~
      February 25, 2017 6:56 AM MST

NO WAY
      February 25, 2017 4:56 PM MST