Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » CERN proves there is no such thing as ghosts. Will you stop believing?

CERN proves there is no such thing as ghosts. Will you stop believing?

"If we want some sort of pattern that carries information about our living cells to persist, then we must specify precisely what medium carries that pattern, and how it interacts with the matter particles out of which our bodies are made," Cox, from the University of Manchester, explained in a recent episode of BBC's The Infinite Monkey Cage.

"We must, in other words, invent an extension to the Standard Model of Particle Physics that has escaped detection at the Large Hadron Collider. That's almost inconceivable at the energy scales typical of the particle interactions in our bodies."

Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, who was also on the show, replied, "If I understand what you just declared, you just asserted that CERN, the European Centre for Nuclear Research, disproved the existence of ghosts."

"Yes," said Cox.

It's become glaringly obvious that the Standard Model of Physics is an incomplete theory, with several gaping holes that physicists have been trying to patch up for decades, but Cox says the existence of ghosts doesn't fall within the 'known unknowns' of the Standard Model.

Instead, he says it directly contradicts the one of the most rigorously tested and fundamental laws of the Universe we have - the second law of thermodynamics.

So how does that apply to ghosts?

Because we can't touch and interact with them, ghosts can't be made of matter, but instead of energy.

And if energy is necessarily lost within every system - particularly if they're doing anything that requires using more of it, such as moving, emitting light, or making spooky sounds - it would be impossible for them to maintain their existence for any significant period of time.

The second nail in the coffin comes from the Large Hadron Collider, because while there are things about the Universe we still can't find using this giant particle accelerator, what we can see very well is the way energy drives our cells' information.

If we assume that the energy that sustains ghosts isn't an entirely new substance or medium, but carries on from when we were living, then this mysterious force controlling the particles that make up our cells would have been detected in the Large Hadron Collider by now.

"I would say if there's some kind of substance that's driving our bodies, making my arms move and legs move, then it must interact with the particles out of which our bodies are made," says Cox.

"And seeing as we've made high precision measurements of the ways that particles interact, then my assertion is that there can be no such thing as an energy source that's driving our bodies."

Posted - February 24, 2017

Responses

• Goodness me, Walt, how could they have missed the obvious? 

Of course they're right in saying that ghosts are not made of matter but are completely wrong in assuming that they must therefore be made of energy. What utter balderdash! 

As anybody with half a brain (there's an opportunity for rebuttal :) ) can tell you, ghosts are made from ectoplasm. They are spirit, not energy. And they need our support. 

Who will join with me in forming the GPS (that's Ghost Protection Society) to defend the rights of ghosts? Remember, one of them could be your granny. 

February 24, 2017 3:01 PM MST

My reply to it is ... How do we know they aren't getting energy?  Maybe there's only a dozen ghosts, and they get energy from us when we die.  Billions of people fueling their need for energy, to stay alive.  They're some kind of death-energy-leach.

LOL
      February 24, 2017 3:11 PM MST

• Somebody once wrote a sci-fi story called "The Last Gasp" about a doctor who invented a device that could capture the souls of dying people as they took their last gasp. The devices they powered could be used for all manner of things from car engines to children's toys. The torment of the souls captured was just too bad. 

It ended on a high note when the doctor died and somebody capture HIS soul... :)
      February 24, 2017 3:24 PM MST

And you know if it were possible ... we would do it.
    Sure, it would start with the worst of the worst - criminals on death row.
    But then would be expanded to all incarcerated criminals ... then people with criminal records ... then to anyone who was "a burden on society" ... until it applied to everyone.
      February 24, 2017 3:42 PM MST

• Unfortunately you're right, all the way down the line. 
      February 24, 2017 3:47 PM MST

Thanx, Didge, but my Casper stock just tanked, I'm ruined!
      February 24, 2017 5:18 PM MST

• It's a conspiracy, bh. They're attacking Casper now, next week Microsoft will come under fire. Nothing is safe. 
      February 24, 2017 5:32 PM MST

• I can assure you that ghosts do exist.  Whether they're made up of energy, bad energy or something else is beyond our scope of knowledge but never doubt for a moment they exist.
      February 24, 2017 3:07 PM MST

I'm a firm believer in the saying: "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" ... whether it be ghosts, deities, mythical creatures, life on other planets, etc.
      February 24, 2017 3:13 PM MST

• Unless you're going to call me a liar then yes I do have evidence.  When we first moved to this house strange things started happening, items falling off shelves as though somebody had just taken their hand and swept them off but the shelves were intact this happened right in front of us.  The first time my husband who doesn't believe in these things insisted that it must have been a small earthquake but none was reported.  After that doors would slam really hard, hard enough to knock pictures off the walls in the bedrooms when we were both in the living room. I dozed off on the sofa one night and woke up feeling that I was being suffocated, there was a black cloud covering most of my body then suddenly it split right down the middle and fell off to each side I certainly wasn't dreaming.  Eventually I talked to my next door neighbor who said she had experienced similar things, her husband like mine kept insisting there had to be some explanation and when they were renovating their house the workmen refused to stay there after dark because they said it was haunted even though her husband threatened to fire them. I wanted to move, this house just felt creepy but my husband refused, eventually these things lessened and then stopped.  I have no explanation for this.  We tried to research this area contacting the local historical society to see if some tragedy had happened on this land  to explain perhaps negative energy before it was developed but could find nothing.

The other thing that happened to me was that my brother called to say my father in the UK had been taken to the hospital so I got on a plane to go home.  Halfway there I saw my father standing there in front of me with his arms outstretched, I thought it was just my imagination/tiredness but it happened two more times, I saw him as clear as day standing right there he was happy and smiling.  When I arrived home I found at that he had died right around the time I first saw him on the plane. When my sister told my four year old niece that her granddad had died in the night she said she already knew that he visited her and had told her he had to go.

I believe we do go on to something else after we die and sometimes our loved ones might cling to us for a time, I do think that most repeated things that happen are the result of bad energy, restless spirits or whatever you want to call them.  But I can assure you that the things I've mentioned above really did happen.

February 25, 2017 1:39 PM MST

Anecdotal stories are not evidence.

Millions of people die every year ... yet never present manifestations, spirits, ghosts, (whatever you call it).

February 25, 2017 2:25 PM MST

• You have a titanic burden of proof for that claim.
      February 25, 2017 6:07 AM MST

• See my reply above.
      February 25, 2017 1:39 PM MST

Science is anything that can be measured. Spirit is anything that can not be measured. Science is powered by logic and evidence. Spirit is powered by believing and wisdom. No connection. Stop trying to prove or disprove spiritual things with science.

I have been fighting ignorance since 1974. It's taking longer than I expected. For example, lots of supposedly educated people insist that spirits are subject to scientific approval if the design is careful enough, or the instruments sensitive enough. And they don't even have definitions for all the things they measure. They can't tell you what mass is, or energy, or gravity, or a bunch of other things. But they think they can judge God and heaven and all spirits.
      February 24, 2017 4:09 PM MST

Believing can create a placebo effect to enable healing; a fake prescription pill is demonstrated to be effective about 35 % of the time.

Does God and a fake pill have much in common?
    What is the force that causes (spontaneous) healing to occur when the effect does take place,?
      February 24, 2017 5:49 PM MST

There are five sources of healing
    1. Nature - It is the nature of a living thing to heal itself.
    2. Medicine
    3. Sleep
    4. A merry heart
    5. The manifestation of the holy spirit (NOT "the gift of healing" or "healing hands" or any such nonsense)
      February 25, 2017 1:29 AM MST

Faith;  believing in some significant element can have a positive healing effect for the mind and body.

Since there is a lot of forest around where I live i experimented with 'Japanese forest bathing'  and found that to be effective. 
      February 25, 2017 2:07 AM MST

I lived in a room with a 'ghost' for a period of months some years ago. The landlady told me the ghost's existence began after a previous tenant had committed suicide.  Seems a ghost is a residual force (not energy since energy must be carried by a detectable particle) coming from a person in certain kind of circumstances. The ghost was never visible to me but you could distinctly hear footsteps plodding around in the rooms.
      February 24, 2017 4:33 PM MST

• Dear Walt O'Reagan,

In younger years, as an atheist, I invested a lot of belief in the Church of Scientific Materialism...and truthfully, they have not justified my faith in them.

So while I DO listen to what they have to say, and very impressed by their Large Hadron Collider, still if my own research does not bear out their findings (and it does not) then at least for the present moment I will put my trust in my own first-hand experience...proving it out for myself.
      February 24, 2017 10:52 PM MST

The first and great commandment is "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind." It's first because God is the God of rightness. If you don't put rightness first, it doesn't matter much what you do instead. Scientists have always put authority first. For a long time, science was whatever Aristotle had commanded. Then for a long time science was whatever the church had commanded. Now the authority is spread around a little, but it still is based on authority, not rightness. When scientists talk about "god" they don't mean the God of creation, they mean a god of order. A god of authority.
      February 25, 2017 1:42 AM MST

i think theyre around, just never seen one
      February 27, 2017 10:30 AM MST