Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Element 99
Malizz
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » But…But…What About Cognitive Dissonance?

But…But…What About Cognitive Dissonance?

Psychologist Leon Festinger’s landmark theory of 1957…that we humans become mentally stressed and high discomfort when we are confronted with ideas inconsistent with our own…

Then, Glis’ question, throwing the veiled insults and so forth…

http://answermug.com/forums/topic/23840/are-you-the-type-who-ask-pseudo-questions-only-to-throw-vieled-i/view/post_id/197836

So, here on the Internet/aMug, when we (inevitably) encounter those ridiculous people who hold outrageous beliefs inconsistent with our own, we don’t have a lot of options for relieving our mental stress and discomfort:

1. Leave the site, or
2. Attack the person who makes us uncomfortable, or…
3. Are there any other options?

Posted - February 24, 2017

Responses

Ignore them. That's the only one we have if we want to stay part of the communifty. I was just reminded why ignoring might be a better solution than trying to make a point. People with a given agenda aren't open for a real discussion. Note to self, stay away whenever you see such discussions/questions asked here. Meh.
      February 24, 2017 4:07 PM MST

• Sapphic Heart!
    Oh ima make a note of THAT one, too...kinda like it...
      February 24, 2017 4:13 PM MST

I do most of time and hate each time I drop into the trap. I'm even aware of most of the persons here doing it. Gah.

Btw, please be free to take it. It's free of charge. Kind of entry bonus for new members. Lol. ;-) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 24, 2017 5:50 PM MST
      February 24, 2017 4:15 PM MST

• The answer is obvious... Do what the Donald does ... Fake news, alternative facts ... As Winston Smith discovered it's not hard to believe in two contradictory ideas at once ... It just requires ... The right incentive ?
      February 24, 2017 4:16 PM MST

• Thank you, Ozgirl...
    I had forgotten the name of Orwell's protagonist, 1984 and doublethink...I re-read the novel recently, it was fascinating in light of the events between 1948 and now...

Now that I am understanding more what information is involved here, I think my own concern is that when there is such a daily barrage, the point can get overdone.

I was definitely influenced FOR Obama by so much negativity against him, and now that the same negativity is happening against Trump it has me wondering what is really going on...truthfully, all the negative publicity tends to soften my disapproval of Trump and influence me in his favor.

Certainly not meaning to argue or offend anyone...just a personal observation...
      February 24, 2017 6:14 PM MST

• Hi Virginia ... I think apart from the CD effect there is also the Dunning Kruger I think it's called issue ... Some people are basically so incompetent it is impossible for them to see it themselves .... As regards trump ... My viewpoint is this ... I have heard the words come out of his mouth ... I don't like the words, what they stand for and the thinking behind them .. but that's a subjective view  and I won't argue is the only view ...  And just re reading your post in wondering if we shouldn't also add the Stockholm's syndrome :).
    For me the final test is to judge him by what he says ... I often find you learn more about a position by those that are against it rather than the group think that goes along with it .. but that's just me ... And there is negativity, you have to ask why.
    Please don't take this as an attack upon your beliefs ... I'm just trying to justify mine .. :)
      February 24, 2017 7:48 PM MST

• Ozgirl ty, I had not even heard of the Dunning-Kruger effect, apparently documented as far back as 1999!

And no, certainly I perceived no criticism/attack from your comments...
      February 24, 2017 8:41 PM MST

• :)
      February 24, 2017 8:52 PM MST

• Hi Virginia,
    You've known me for a few years and know that I like to calmly and intelligently discuss opinions that oppose my personal opinions. I find the opinions of others to be interesting and challenging but discontinue my discussions when they get insulting. I know that I can view questions on this site to exclude certain categories but I'd rather not block an entire category because I'd like to answer some of the Q's.

The constant barrage of page after page of anti government, anti Trump, etc is unnerving to say the least. They limit the time that I'm willing to spend on the Mug and I have a feeling that I'm not the only user that feels that way. I'm not quite sure how much of my time I want to put into this site if I only come on in the evenings when most of the intelligence insulting questions are done for the day.
      February 24, 2017 4:26 PM MST

• Oh! I think I understand a bit more...

Dozy alerted me about those daily posts before I first came on.
    That I am not really sure about, AH...for me it has meant that even when I see an interesting non-Trump question from the same poser, I hesitate to even take those on...not sure what I might be getting into...

As you know I am not a fan of our current POTUS, but would actually like to see quality information from people who are, it will take all of us our best information to get safely through these next four years...
      February 24, 2017 4:42 PM MST

• I'm not a fan of Trump either but the constant daily blast of numerous questions bashing him and the administration is getting old. I dare not mention a name either, or I'll get reprimanded again. The "good old boys" have a special seating arrangement here at the Mug, with a big fat 'do not disturb' sign. Anyone that tells me differently is blind. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 24, 2017 5:52 PM MST
      February 24, 2017 5:01 PM MST

• Well, I think I will just continue to 'duck-&-dodge' that continual daily blast...like you I really would prefer a more balanced approach, the current situation makes the whole site appear biased.

February 24, 2017 5:46 PM MST

Don't get involved with it to begin with.
    Don't identify and get attached to all of the 
    meaningless stuff in Thinking we have to get engaged in it.
    WE are likened to be on an emotional roller coaster with the illusion.
         We need to find our own true beingness 
    and stay in that contentment wherever we go
    and whatever we do and not
     get jerked around
    by grabbing ahold of this stuff,
    and engaging in it.

There is nothing to prove...
    Just watch it go by
      February 24, 2017 5:08 PM MST

• That is lovely, Baba...so peaceful...thank you again, your clear calm approach is truly a joy.
      February 24, 2017 5:48 PM MST

• Option 3a: Look for the funny side. It's always there, just below the surface.
      February 24, 2017 6:00 PM MST

• Agree!
      February 24, 2017 6:07 PM MST

• Oh Didge...ima go with Option 3a!!!
      February 24, 2017 6:26 PM MST

• Virginia, 
    I think its important to be secure enough in one's position that the imposition of contrasting beliefs should not be cause for bother.

Take it from one you know as an unequivocal Atheist, I encounter, and am often set upon by, people of strong conviction in concepts I find insanely absurd, ignorant or intolerant.
    Let 'em rave on! Who are they hurting? I sometimes find neuroses strangely entertaining. Have a laugh. No cause to run and hide. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 25, 2017 6:56 AM MST
      February 24, 2017 6:45 PM MST

• Zee, and Wisdom Tooth, although your posts are different I do see them as correlating...and much appreciated, ty...not to mention Dozy's wonderful Option 3a...
      February 24, 2017 9:07 PM MST

• By labelling "beliefs inconsistent with our own"  as "outrageous", are we not opening a window to our own prejudices? Are we not subconsciously already sitting in judgement, predisposed to covict? Might it not be better to ask for an elaboration of the contrarian view and decide later whether to pursue the discussion further or ignore? If nothing else, we mght, just might, get a glimpse of the mind that holds that view. 
      February 24, 2017 6:58 PM MST

• Zee, and Wisdom Tooth, although your posts are different I do see them as correlating...and much appreciated, ty...not to mention Dozy's wonderful Option 3a...
      February 24, 2017 9:07 PM MST