Discussion » Questions » Environment » If the predictions of climate range result in the expected rise in the oceans...

If the predictions of climate range result in the expected rise in the oceans...

What changes might we expect to see over the next 200 years in either your own locality or the the coastal areas of your country?

Posted - February 24, 2017

Responses

In my area, I expect no change except possibly an increase in population, as we are about 1000 meters above  sea level, and very far inland. The country may lose a couple or three provinces on the east coast, but what can you do.  It will make my farm land worth a lot more LOL
      February 24, 2017 5:33 PM MST

• I'm in the same position Sitting on a hill about 70 km from the coast. I'm hoping to end up with a waterfront view. 
      February 24, 2017 5:37 PM MST

We will not live 200 years to see anything. If the ocean rises and floods a bunch of coastal cities, at least that will reduce "anthropogenic" climate change. The world is self regulating, and there is nothing mankind can do that will affect it much. You might stink up your own bed with a fart, or cloud your city with a factory, but the world is a lot tougher than that. By which I mean that humans are not nearly as powerful as they think they are.
      February 25, 2017 2:33 AM MST

• I hope you're right, Jewels. I also hope you're right about not living for another 200 years. :)
      February 25, 2017 1:51 PM MST

I live on the coast and can make fairly safe estimates of what a given rise would do to my area, but I've no idea what any such rise may be, nor how long it would take. All I know it is not likely to not affect my home and its immediate locality as they are reasonably high above present sea-level. Oh, and I can't imagine I'd be alive for long enough to see any significant marine transgression anyway!
      March 16, 2017 7:50 PM MDT