Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Microsoft's spring up-date will contain give Windows 3-D and some virtual reality functions.

Microsoft's spring up-date will contain give Windows 3-D and some virtual reality functions.

Will you find much use for them? 

Posted - February 24, 2017

Responses

I will not find much use for them at present, but as virtual reality and three D glasses get cheaper, I may use them. Or holograph projectors or monitors.
      February 24, 2017 5:36 PM MST

• The VR glasses cost a mint and don't work comfortably over my specs, anyway. If they ever get around to holographs -- and they will one day -- that'll be another matter. 
      February 24, 2017 5:38 PM MST

• It would be great for some of my games if it was compatible but I'll wait till I don't have to wear the glasses, which will be next. Just might help out on developing some graphics for the games. We'll see but not at this time.
      February 24, 2017 5:40 PM MST

• At this stage I doubt if it's much more than a gimmick but gimmicks develop very quickly into usable apps. It's good to see it on the way. 
      February 24, 2017 5:44 PM MST

• Oh yes! That's why I said that no glasses needed will be next. New style monitors is what I heard. It'll come.
      February 24, 2017 5:46 PM MST

Playing some of your games with a holograph would bring a whole new world into your games. You could fly your plane without ever leaving your house.;)
      February 24, 2017 5:47 PM MST

• Yes or ply the depths of the ocean searching for Jap merchant ships to sink! LOL
      February 24, 2017 5:48 PM MST

I'm still using Win7. The geeks told me to avoid Win10 until I hear some good reviews, and I haven't heard any yet, although the same geeks grudgingly admit that it seems ok so far. M$ was never trustworthy, and nothing seems to have changed in that regard. So no 3D for me for a while.

We used to say DOS did what you told it to do, not what you wanted it to do. Windows has never been that reliable. This post was edited by Not Sure at February 25, 2017 1:22 PM MST
      February 25, 2017 2:22 AM MST

• W7 was good, W8 not so good, W10 (probably soon to be renamed simply Windows with no version number) is the one they're going to update every year. The problem with sticking with W7 is that sooner rather than later they'll stop sending upgrades for it (as they have done with their other programs) and you'll find it's full of security holes that can be exploited by hackers and are vulnerable to viruses and Trojans.
      February 25, 2017 1:25 PM MST

• "No" ... I'm pretty sure I won't find much use for them.
      February 25, 2017 2:34 AM MST

• I had to use VR goggles at a medical clinic  and, since I can't see without my specs, had to put them on over the top. Totally unsatisfactory. I won't be going down that road. 
      February 25, 2017 1:26 PM MST

• Maybe, but I don't think it will ever really become more than a gimmick or at best a small niche market.  I got board with gaming years ago so my opinion probably isn't the best. From what I see and hear from gamers I know though it doesn't seem like something most are too interested in outside of the novelty.   It's opne of those things that seems gets some buzz when a new development comes out but the novelty fizzles quick.

My thoughts are it's going to be like 3D TV. Something people think they want, gets a little momentum at first, falls into obscurity. When 3D TV came out people got excited.  Tech geeks had to have one.  Within a year they weren't using the feature anymore.  In a few years time hardly anyone makes or offers them.  In my thought there is an Uncanny Valley effect with 3D and VR displays in general.
      February 25, 2017 6:04 AM MST

• I remember when 3-D movies first came out.  That fad sure didn't last very long! Now they are trying it again, probably because technology has changed so much, but I don't see it being much different this time than it was the last time.
      February 25, 2017 6:20 AM MST

• Yeah I'm going on previous VR developments and things like recent Imax, 3D movie, and 3D TV developments.  Amazing at first but quickly turns to meh.
      February 25, 2017 1:44 PM MST

• The only two games I play on the computer are Solitaire and Chess. Wouldn't be much value there. Still, I bet it proves a winner financially. Lots of people love 3D. 
      February 25, 2017 1:28 PM MST

• I don't know. It kinda seems they don't when it comes to them.   I kinda think in the long run VR is going to be a small market on the consumer end and bigger in  the design and engineering tool kit. Just my novice prediction.
      February 25, 2017 1:41 PM MST

This post was edited by Mr. Bromide at February 25, 2017 2:08 PM MST
      February 25, 2017 1:52 PM MST

My experience with VR is somewhat limited, but I recently made a trip out to one of Facebook's VR kiosks to try it out. Before this, I really thought VR was the next overly-hyped gimmick, but now, I think it's got a good future beyond gaming. For those who haven't tried it, it's different than anything else you've ever experienced. It feels like you're in the experience. Your mind knows that it's not real, but you still want to react to it. For example, in the Facebook demo, you come nose-to-nose with a dinosaur. It's honestly a little freaky. You feel like it's there with you, like you could just reach out and touch it. And, this is a 360 view... you can look in any direction and see things as if you were really there- incredibly vivid realistic images. So detailed.

There is the obvious gaming aspect of this, and I think it'll do well there. It'll be good for improving the experience of cinema as well. However, I can see families using VR to keep in touch if the tech advances to the point where it's affordable. Imagine not "missing" your kid's birthday or first steps while you're at work. Imagine checking in on an elderly loved one or sharing family gatherings so they can feel like they were there. I see medical applications with the elderly/ disabled as well. If there was a bot that could scan the house and let you check on someone, people could remain in their homes for longer, retain autonomy, etc. There's good stuff there. Also, the disabled who can't go on a roller-coaster or can't walk... they can experience so many things. The tops of mountains, the ocean, etc... heck, other planets. And, this is going to rock the adult industry. That's all I have to say about that. lol
      February 25, 2017 1:55 PM MST

• A thoughtful and detailed answer, JA. Thanks for taking the trouble. 

My thought is that 3D technology is where chess computers were in 1980. A tournament director entered one in a tournament I was playing as a novelty. None of us had any trouble beating it. Today they're so powerful that even the World Champion would have trouble winning against a program you and I could buy for about $US100. 

If VR advances as quickly it's likely to become  very usable very quickly.
      February 25, 2017 2:14 PM MST

In reality you can always see your nose. In virtual reality you can never see your nose. That leads to weird effects, not always predictable.
      February 25, 2017 3:39 PM MST

• That's an interesting comment, Jewels. And while I'd claim that mostly I never see my nose I'm aware that, on occasions, I've been very aware of it. And it's not nearly as big as Not Flo's. 
      February 25, 2017 8:43 PM MST

I can see 3D "virtual reality" attracting those who use their computers primarily for games and entertainments, but I'd have no need for it. 

Frankly I found WIN 10 as it was bad enough - scrappy and gimmicky presentation, very poor versions of what used to be pretty good "Office" programmes. Worse, the so-called "up-grade" broke my web-site registrations and they were very hard to repair after I'd reverted to WIN 7.

The silly thing is that the main changes seem to be screen-presentation, diminishing the features available in specific programmes like 'Excel', and skewing the system heavily in favour of portable equipment and entertainments applications. Adding 3D effects merely adds to the last. Fine for those who want that, but I accuse Microsoft of turning its monopolist back on anyone who wants to carry out more serious tasks like writing for club magazines, voluntary-group admin that involves circulating "paper-work", and academic / technical projects.

Admin by e-post is now a nightmare because Gates' clowns have introduced a routine that locks attached documents into a form denoted by 'x' after the file-type, and to convert these and pdf files into anything editable now, MS demands you pay monthly rent for special 3rd-party software. Only it can't be relied on... it's from Adobe, makers of a video player whose trade-name 'Flash' means it appears on your screen briefly while lying to you that it's installing itself, then vanishes again.

I have kept my XP computer as an independent one for the occasions I wish to use features like "charts" (graphs) in Excel - the version bundled with WIN-7 is rubbish.  A modern Excel for Dummies book, presumably with W10 in mind, makes me fear Excel has been stripped right down to primary-school level bar and pie charts useful only to middle-managers Baffling Brains Proverbially in plethoric 'Power-Point' presentations.

So by all means use fancy image presentations if you like that sort of thing, but don't expect to use your PC for anything even half-way serious in future, for rather than catering for both sets of users, Microsoft aren't interested in you nowadays!
      March 3, 2017 2:39 PM MST

Books are still going strong. Better pictures.
      March 3, 2017 6:59 PM MST