Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Which movie is the most memorable/haunting you've ever seen? What was it that made it so for you?

Which movie is the most memorable/haunting you've ever seen? What was it that made it so for you?

Posted - February 25, 2017

Responses

• I am a huge fan of Bladerunner... it's everything in a film for me... action and thought provoking.  I love the atmospherics of the film... 

Most of all though I am a sci-fi fan.. and I think it has a message for us.. replicants... and the dangers of going too far down a route of replacing humans.. sorry that doesn't do my answer justice but I have to go make my daughter some breakfast, she's not feeling well :(
      February 25, 2017 4:19 AM MST

I'm a scifi fan too DdbTD. Also a quantum physics fan. They are inextricably connected. Ever see the movie "Charly" with Cliff Robertson? It's a very old movie. It was based on a short scifi story titled "Flowers for Algernon". It's so very bittersweet! But the movie most close to my heart is HACHI. It is a true story that occurred in Japan in 1925. It was about a Professor named Hidesaburo Ueno and his Akita dog, Hachiko. It was changed to have Richard Gere play the Professor part. It is about the love and devotion of Hatchi for his master. There is a statue of Hachi at the Shibuya railroad station in Japan commemorating him. The first time I saw the movie I fell apart. The subsequent times I saw the movie I still cried a lot. I highly recommend it. I would tell you more about it but if you should ever have the chance to see it I would not want to spoil it for you. It is that good! And heartbreaking. Thank you for your reply DdbTD! :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 25, 2017 5:40 AM MST
      February 25, 2017 4:34 AM MST

Cliff Robertson's performance in Charly was superb.  It's a crime how that man was treated.  I always wonder what other films he might have been in if he hadn't made waves & been shut out for a number of years.

I know the story of Hachi but I didn't see the movie.  I will have to put it on my list of movies to see.
      February 25, 2017 5:33 AM MST

Just be warned sweetie. Invest in Kleenex and have a lotta boxes on hand. If you know the story then you may not be as brokenhearted as I was or as weepy when I first saw it. In a beautiful way. That sounds so weird to read what I just wrote but it's true. The movie was incredibly beautiful in such a heartbreaking way. SIGH. Happy hunting! I LOVED Cliff Robertson's performance. Wasn't he nominated for an Academy Award for that Harry? That is also a very haunting movie. There was something somewhat comparable in a movie called "Awakenings". I 
    believe it was based on a true story about a real psychiatrist and patient. A window opened in his brain temporarily and he walked through. But then he regressed back into his isolation. I think it was a drug they gave him that worked only temporarily. Robin Williams portrayed the doctor and Robert de Niro was the patient. They are both excellent actors. Did you happen to see that movie? Thank you for your reply Harry! :)
      February 25, 2017 5:48 AM MST

Yes.  I remember Awakenings.  Good movie.  It's based on the research & subsequent book written by Oliver Sacks, a neurologist.  He passed away last year.  I always enjoyed listening to his radio interviews.

Re: Charly -- Cliff Robertson won the Academy Award for it that year.  He was one of my favorite actors.  I always thought he was so under appreciated.  Do you remember the embezzlement case he was embroiled in?  If you're interested, scroll down the page to "Embezzlement Scandal."   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Begelman

This post was edited by Harry at February 25, 2017 9:14 AM MST
      February 25, 2017 8:20 AM MST

I do now that you are refreshing my memory. He spoke up and said he was being cheated. Others were cheated too but they never said a word. You see how long it has been that cheaters/liars prosper and truth tellers often don't. I don't know why that is. Do you? Thank you for your reply Harry! :)
      February 25, 2017 9:17 AM MST

I love Bladerunner too.   Great movie.
    AI is another one that has stayed with me.
      February 25, 2017 5:35 AM MST

Portrait of Jenny with Jennifer Jones and Joseph Cotton. First one that came to mind and it still gives me the chills. 
      February 25, 2017 4:37 AM MST

I vaguely remember seeing that movie Sunshine though honestly I don't remember the storyline.  I have seen "Laura" on TV several times and that storyline also involves a portrait. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      February 25, 2017 5:57 AM MST

There are many movies that remain with me for various reasons.  Here are a handful:

The Pianist is one of them.  You feel his desperation, isolation, & fear.  Schindler's List due to Ralph Fiennes character's cruelty along with the scene with the little girl in the red coat.  

Dr. Strangelove & Being There for their statements about the world/society along with Peter Sellers performances.

A Face in the Crowd, for it's searing portrayal & condemnation of the entertainment industry (it's loosely based upon Arthur Godfrey's rise to fame) and for (believe it or not) Andy Griffith's amazing performance along with Patricia Neal's performance. 

The Others & The Sixth Sense have stayed with me due to the twist at the end of both.

2001: A Space Odyssey for it's content (ahead of it's time), music, and, at various times it's beauty.

The Grey Fox.  I mentioned this to Rooster the other day.  It's stayed with me for it's beautiful cinematography along with the performance of it's lead actor Richard Farnsworth.

February 25, 2017 5:30 AM MST

Admirable list. Some I saw, some I didn't! Thank you for your reply Harry! :)
      February 25, 2017 5:59 AM MST

• The movies that come to my mind everytime with this question are Lone Survivor, American Sniper, and 13 hours. These movies give an insight into what our soldiers go through while they are deployed and fighting for our country. they are based directly from the experiences as told by the soldiers who were there. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at June 5, 2017 6:44 PM MDT
      February 25, 2017 6:53 AM MST

Sadly I didn't see any of them Corey! Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      February 25, 2017 9:18 AM MST

• Alot of people haven't. I can't say I blame them because they are very graphic movies. Graphic doesn't bother me but the movies are really great if you ever get the chance to see them. American Sniper is the best of the three with 13 Hours right behind it. Happy Saturday, Rosie!
      February 25, 2017 10:22 AM MST

Michael Haneke's 1997 original (not his American remake) "Funny Games"

~ THE most disturbing film I've seen, perfect all-around to me --  and not a drop of gore. I find it a masterpiece. 
      June 5, 2017 6:46 PM MDT