Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Is church a good place to learn your science?

Is church a good place to learn your science?

Posted - February 25, 2017

Responses

No, just like school isn't a good place to learn your religion. Unless you are a theology major.  This post was edited by Gatorblu at February 25, 2017 4:43 PM MST
      February 25, 2017 7:48 AM MST

I don't think so. Religion is faith based and science deals in hardcore evidence. Something you can see and feel. Doesn't sound like the two are compatible.
      February 25, 2017 7:56 AM MST

Even though it "Doesn't sound like the two are compatible." one [religion] actually inspired the other [science] as explained in my answer.
      March 29, 2017 2:45 PM MDT

I don't think so but church /bible study helped inspire me to make scientific enquiry like when and why gods were invented ,  how the universe came into existence, how life began, evolution,  and various other significant things. 
      February 25, 2017 8:10 AM MST

"church /bible study helped inspire me to make scientific enquiry" indeed it is the study of and positive response to the HQ's repeated exhortations to think, question and investigate which, in the middle ages, lead to the methods of research we now call science.
      March 29, 2017 2:53 PM MDT

• I get where you are coming from, and generally no, it's not at all a good place to learn science.  But there are churches and churches and a lot are way less dogmatic than they used to be.. .we have a lot of friendly fluffy hug the person next to you type churches here and we are a pretty non-religious country so things tend to be a lot less black and white here.. 
      February 25, 2017 8:21 AM MST

Nobody learns science in church. People are fully aware that religion is faith.

Some people hold spiritual beliefs that contradict accepted scientific fact, but I think it usually doesn't matter. I find people who hold a literal interpretation of genesis a bit quaint, though I don't think that it has any negative effects of society. In fact I think it's indirectly beneficial that society has diversity of opinions even if I believe that some of those opinions are objectively false.

The reason the secular left hate creation mythology so much is because it's a challenge to their authority. It's not that they really give a damn what people believe about the origin of mankind. They just hate the principle that they can't mold people to be what they wish them to be.

Creation myths rub their noses in the fact that millions of minds are outside their influence. It makes them so mad because they have a primal need to control people. They dream of a technocracy. It has nothing to do with science or truth. It's about domination. This post was edited by Zeitgeist at February 25, 2017 10:21 AM MST
      February 25, 2017 9:01 AM MST

• Snigger, I just knew you were going to use the word left in there somewhere and link it to lefties :P  Apart from that, I nearly choked in surprise as I totally agreed with the first para.  See you can be eminently reasonable and reasoning - well until you start with the lefty stuff :P

February 25, 2017 9:09 AM MST

Well Excon put this in the political section, so he clearly thinks it's a political question too. It may be a Freudian slip on his part. Consciously or unconsciously he's lamenting people having independent beliefs and sees that as having negative political consequences. This post was edited by Zeitgeist at February 25, 2017 9:31 AM MST
      February 25, 2017 9:27 AM MST

• Personally I find Excon to be an intelligent reasoning and reasonable being but putting your personal grudges aside, politics is about way more than lefty vs righty is it not?
      February 25, 2017 9:47 AM MST

"nobody" is a bit like "never" and they say, "never say never" Despite that you boldly assert that "Nobody learns science in church" Well although it's an assertion that appears to leave no room for exception it is nevertheless a fact that there was a time when people did learn science from mosques [Muslim places of worship] I've given some details in my answer
      March 29, 2017 3:04 PM MDT

• I'd say it is the best place to start wondering about science.
    At least that's where it started for me.
    Listening to.the stories as a kid, I was like ...wait a minute...
    So yeah. . . To expect any religious based system to teach actual.science is somewhat silly. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 29, 2017 3:09 PM MDT
      February 25, 2017 10:35 AM MST

"it is the best place to start wondering about science." indeed, the HQ actually inspired the method of inquiry which we today call science. I've given some details in my answer
      March 29, 2017 3:09 PM MDT

• I am sure you're right. I agree. But im sure you understand the subtlety of my comment. Even then, I don't deny that what you say is true.

March 29, 2017 3:39 PM MDT

we're on the same page again, Lago. I think

Is it not so that if one questions, reasons and contemplates one can not only be inspired to a good after witnessing something good but one can also be inspired to a good after witnessing something bad?

anyway, TY and have a nice day
      March 29, 2017 4:51 PM MDT

• Yes!!
    Exactly.  )
      March 29, 2017 7:37 PM MDT

depends on the church, theyre all different
      February 25, 2017 9:38 PM MST

Is church a good place to learn your science?

=======================================

1- Maybe not, but you may be surprised to know that Mosques [Muslim places of worship] WERE at one tiime good places to learn your science. You might have heard of the word “madrasah” [btw although the first syllable is written “mad” it is actually pronounced “mud”] The word madrasah literally means "a place of learning and studying". Most madrasahs in the early period of Islam were established in mosques and this tradition continues to this day in many countries with Muslim communities. Jāmiʻat al-Qarawīyīn, [meaning University of Qarawīyīn] is inside al-Qarawīyīn Mosque in the city of Fas, Morocco. Established in 859 it is considered by some to be the oldest university in the world. It was founded by Fāṭimah al-Fihrī, the daughter of a wealthy merchant. This was followed, in 959, by the establishment of the more famous, and still functioning, al-Azhar University in Cairo, Egypt.

2- Arabic and Islamic philosophy had its "Golden Age" between the 11th and 14th centuries following al-Ghazali's successful introduction of logic as a subject in the madrasah curriculum. In addition to religious subjects, madrasahs also taught what were known as the "rational sciences" which included mathematics, astronomy, astrology, geography, alchemy, philosophy and even magic and occultism.

3- It is as a result of the correct response to the emphasis Islam places on enquiry, learning and knowledge that the Muslim world experienced a growth in literacy and had the world’s highest literacy rate in the Middle Ages and on a much larger scale than known before in the world. The emergence of the mosque based madrasah followed by other educational institutions played a fundamental role in the achievement of these high literacy rates.

4- However, the madrasahs or madaris [plural of madrasah] did not develop to become the centres of advanced scientific study when Muslims in their relentless pursuit of learning began to push beyond the boundaries of what was known to mankind. Instead, scientific advances in Islam usually resulted from the efforts of scholars working under the patronage of royal courts. It is these people who were the world’s leading scholars and authorities on all fields of knowledge for nearly eight centuries [that’s more than half the 14 century age of Islam] It is this period of the Caliphate that is known as The Golden Age of Islam.

March 29, 2017 2:33 PM MDT