Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Do you feel you have to conform or are restricted by *society rules* and norms?

Do you feel you have to conform or are restricted by *society rules* and norms?

I've seen people say that so often on sites like this.... I find it baffling to be honest as I have never felt restricted or that I have to conform.. I see society's norms and expectations but see them as just that... expectations and norms.. I don't feel bound by them. I don't feel I would be any less of a person or less valued if I don't conform to these rules.. And to be honest I haven't ever been judged in that way... 

I found a quote that made me think of this... "Existential living allows the client to live ‘outside the box’ of societal norms, and gives the client freedom to adapt and react to each situation."

I find the whole concept of society's rules pretty vague and it doesn't seem to rule me.. What's your experience, do you feel hemmed in or restricted by these so called Society rules?

Posted - February 25, 2017

Responses

I've never felt restricted or felt I've had to conform. Not that there is much of a society where I live. But I was raised to be me, not most everyone else. This is a quote I've always tried to live by that proves true in many ways. 
      February 25, 2017 9:38 AM MST

• Of course we are bound by society's rules, and laws, and commonly accepted patterns of behaviour. That's what being part of a group means. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 25, 2017 1:37 PM MST
      February 25, 2017 10:32 AM MST

• Hi DDBTD,

Well I do try really, really hard to conform to society rules and to meet ALL the expectations...

But was just never very good at that...good at other things, but not that.
      February 25, 2017 1:41 PM MST

sometimes it can feel that way
      February 25, 2017 9:27 PM MST