Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Is it rude to not allow a wedding guest to bring a +1 or perfectly acceptable?

Is it rude to not allow a wedding guest to bring a +1 or perfectly acceptable?

I was looking at another forum and all the brides are POed because their guests are bringing a companion and no companion was invited. These are huge weddings with 100+ people and the brides seem mostly ticked about having to pay for the food of the +1, though a few mentioned limited space in their venues. I personally think it's crappy to tell someone they should come to your wedding alone and that people should plan to let their guests bring someone. Are they bridezillas or is this acceptable? For review: http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/plus-one-frustration-already/ 

PS: Bonus points if you take a guess at how many of these women are already divorced. lol

Posted - February 25, 2017

Responses

• I always thought a guest was the norm and encouraged.
      February 25, 2017 11:59 PM MST

Hi JA, I will never go alone to a wedding.....I'll be so self conscious.....and if I'm banned from bringing along someone because there's food shortage....then I might not go;((
      February 26, 2017 12:12 AM MST

• Rude? No. Inconsiderate? Of course. 

If you're going to invite somebody to a wedding it's common courtesy to assume that they will want to bring a companion. The trick is to cater for the number of couples you want to invite, not the number of individuals. In this Facebook world I know that the success of any function is determined by the number of "friends" who attend but it's nonsense to splurge on a larger event than you can afford.

And your final comment about divorce? I know a young couple who lived together for some years and had kids aged 5 and 3 at the time of their marriage. She wanted to be a princess bride and they had their marriage in a cathedral. they had many guests, professional entertainers, and she was a lovely bride. That was at the end of October 2015. By July 2016 they were irrevocably separated and divorce is on the way.  This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 26, 2017 11:32 AM MST
      February 26, 2017 2:36 AM MST

It has been suggested to me that such a story happens when a man promotes a competent girlfriend to an incompetent wife.

Ok, now you can dump all your "sexist" bullstuff on me. I can take it. I don't care. In my experience, an ex-wife never has any idea why they broke up. IOW she was not paying attention.
      February 26, 2017 3:46 AM MST

• Instead of "sexist bulldust" let me quote C.S.Lewis back to you. He wrote, "Marriages fail not for lack of love but for lack of obedience." Yeah, right! 
      February 26, 2017 11:50 AM MST

Didge, you've said everything that needs saying on this topic.  I have lots of confidence, but would feel awkward going to a wedding on my own and would probably opt for an evening at home with The House Boy and a book.
      February 26, 2017 11:27 AM MST

AFAIK it is normal to bring a guest to such a celebration. It is good manners to let your host know how many he/she needs to feed. If there is no food involved hen it doesn't matter much.
      February 26, 2017 3:48 AM MST

• There's a line from an Australian show, used by a girl ... Look at me .... For most brides I think that sums it up unfortunately .... The wedding is the new goal, not the life that comes after it ...
      February 26, 2017 4:05 AM MST

• Good point
      February 26, 2017 11:31 AM MST

• :)
      February 26, 2017 3:11 PM MST

• HI Ozgirl. I've seen that happen a few times. 
      February 26, 2017 11:51 AM MST

• I think we all have Didge .... It's like watching storm clouds gather low on the horizon ... You just know that someone is going to pi**ed on
      February 26, 2017 3:10 PM MST

No.  It's rude for an invitee to do more than he or she was invited to do. 
      February 26, 2017 11:46 AM MST

i think they need to ask ahead of time, cause that way they can know how much food to have or whatever
      February 26, 2017 9:18 PM MST