Active Now

my2cents
CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What do you think about folks who live their entire lives following the rules? Do you feel contempt/admiration? Are you one of them? Why?

What do you think about folks who live their entire lives following the rules? Do you feel contempt/admiration? Are you one of them? Why?

Posted - February 26, 2017

Responses

• We all break the rules sometimes, Rosie, but not all of us are like Gwen (I'll clean this up for aM.)

There was a young lady named Gwen
    Who broke the rules now and again. 
    Not now and then
    But now and again, 
    And again, and again, and again. 

Basically I'm a rule follower but I've had my moments. >:-)
      February 26, 2017 5:07 AM MST

I was known as lead-foot Rosie is these here parts in my younger days. I LOVE to drive fast. I LOVE the sensation. I usually go faster than the posted speed limit but not by much unless it's out on the open road (Highway 5 connecting southern and northern  California is a perfect place to let 'er rip!) Otherwise I'm pretty much on the straight and narrow even when no one is looking. You haven't signed off yet m'dear. Insomnia? Thank you for your reply Didge! :)
      February 26, 2017 5:14 AM MST

• I not only call Mrs Didge Leadfoot Lynne I wrote a parody about it and sing it to her while she's driving. (I even included it in my novel.) You're obviously two very fast  ladies. And, no, it's not insomnia. It's nearly 11.30 and I'm about to sign off but I had some things to do before going to bed. Catch you tomorrow. :)
      February 26, 2017 5:18 AM MST

Happy Dreams! Maybe that's why we click. Two fast ladies living thousands of miles apart may have things in common and so a few things about me is familiar to you because your wife and I share them! It's a small world! :)
      February 26, 2017 5:28 AM MST

Hey Rosie, I have lived in Moreno Valley and Wildomar and those back roads was a great place to let it rip.
    No traffic and no cops.
    Those were the days.
      February 26, 2017 11:05 AM MST

Moreno Valley? That's where our Kaiser clinic is located and our doctor. When was that Lulu's Mom? Jim and I lived in Riverside until 2007 when we moved to Hemet in November. Were you in Moreno Valley  then? Wouldn't it be a kick if we had actually passed each other on the street or shopped in the same market at the same time?  Small world! Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday Lulu'sMom! :)
      February 26, 2017 11:15 AM MST

I lived in Moreno Valley when it was still Sunnymead.
    That was in 1969.
      February 26, 2017 11:24 AM MST

It depends.

It depends...if because they fear authority, contempt; if because their own inlinations conform to the laws, usually admiration, not necessarily because I agree with them, but because they are true to their beliefs.  

Nope.

Because rules/laws are arbitrary and largely unnecessary.
      February 26, 2017 5:47 AM MST

Thanks for including WHY it depends Bozette. That is a complete answer. "It depends" on its own all alone  never has,never will. Doesn't answer anything.  Happy Sunday m'dear! :)
      February 26, 2017 11:18 AM MST

I do try to follow the rules, but it's not in my nature to do this.  I'm fairly introverted and like to live on the edge of things, assuming that I am not really noticeable unless I want to be.  I follow my personal ethics, rules related to logic and safety; I stop at red lights and stop signs, but rarely obey speed limits.  At work I smiled and nodded and did as I pleased.  Occasionally that got me in hot water.  During those events, I didn't smile; I just waited until it was over and went back to my work.  Even now, if I can't see the sense in a rule, I ignore it, even if somebody comes running.
      February 26, 2017 10:38 AM MST

I was a painfully shy child and the vestiges of that remain within though I am now 79.  I like solitude and alone ness because I am never lonely. I enjoy people when I'm in the mood. When I'm not I am not a good companion. But I always followed the rules. They were never in conflict with logic or safety. I slide past speed limits by only about 5 miles because I figure anything more than that makes me a target. Now in my younger dats you're looking at Leadfoot Rosie. Going up the 5 from LA to San Francisco? Boring. Hundreds of miles of boring. One is forced to stay awake and the only way to do that is go with the flow at high speed. 95 mph is the most I ever did. You become one with the highway. One doesn't do that in the city or surface streets. That's just asking to be nailed. I'm a loner but at work I'm definitely a TEAM PLAYER. So I only did as I pleased with the knowledge and support of my boss. He did value my independence but I would NEVER have put him in an untenable position. I prefer to work alone most of the time. But on team projects you won't find a more enthusiastic player than me. So I'm not sure how much alike we are but thank you for your reply m'dear! :)
      February 26, 2017 11:26 AM MST

Now that I am back in the city, I follow more of the rules then I used to.
    But I am no saint LOL.
      February 26, 2017 11:10 AM MST

It's hard for me to relate to a saint Lulu'sMom.  I'm far from that so I like to be around folks who are my cuppa tea. I admire/respect saints. From a distance. Having dinner with one? I"d be a nervous wreck! Thank you for your reply! :)
      February 26, 2017 11:28 AM MST

I have known a few people who acted like saints and they were boring as hell.
    I am like you Rosie, I like to be with people who know how to have a good time.
      February 26, 2017 11:52 AM MST

Yep. Normal folks who aren't full of themselves! They're my people! Thank you for  your reply Lulu'sMom! :) ((hugs))
      February 26, 2017 12:49 PM MST

For some people, they stick to what they know. The unknown scares the hell out of them. I lived following the rules for most of my life, but only now am I going to do something that's not considered following the rules. I want to break some rules because life is more fun that way.
      February 26, 2017 11:59 AM MST

Really BIG important rules Zack or tiny ones? I've always been able to have a good time following rules but I'm not adventuresome/advernturous. Probably not brave either. I have no interest in taking a walk on the wild side or stretching limits. Never done drugs. Scared to death of them. I drink alcohol but in moderation. My throat shuts after a second drink. I'm not kidding you. I literally cannot drink more than 2 of anything. Not for years and years. So I don't push that limit. I"m a homebody so my natural environment is safe. I think guys generally are more inclined to take risks although I know that there are some gals who are risk takers too. My younger sister was a risk taker. She moved out to live with a girlfriend when she was 17. They both got jobs and did  just fine. I moved out at the age 20 because I got married.  So I guess my norm is safety first. Playing it safe. Jim is 81 and would LOVE to go skydiving or hangliding! I think that's nuts! Have you ever been skydiving? I have a fear of heights so that's the LAST thing in the world I'd want to do. I'd probably pass out before I could pull the cord and splat I'd go!  Thank you for your answer. When you follow the rules you don't have to look over your shoulder or fear answering the phone or door. I couldn't live like that! :)
      February 26, 2017 12:57 PM MST

The technical term is anally retentive.

Mind you it can be safer in many ways. 

I liked obeying the rules when they weren't meant to be obeyed. 

February 26, 2017 12:51 PM MST

This dialogue from A Man for All Seasons has always impressed me:---

Roper: So now you'd give the Devil benefit of law!...

More: Yes. What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?...

Roper: I'd cut down every law in England to do that!...

More: Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country's planted thick with laws from coast to coast — man's laws, not God's — and if you cut them down — and you're just the man to do it — d'you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake....

So generally, I do go by the rules, just like I drive on the right side of the road here in the USA...(Although I did just buy a 4 wheel drive.)....

And there is always what is called the virtue of EPIKEIA---A liberal interpretation of law in instances not provided by the letter of the law. It presupposes sincerity in wanting to observe the law, and interprets the mind of the lawgiver in supplying his presumed intent to include a situation that is not covered by the law. It favors the liberty of the interpreter without contradicting the express will of the lawgiver. (Etym. Greek epieikes reasonable.)
      February 26, 2017 1:49 PM MST

i like following the rules cause it keeps me out of trouble
      February 26, 2017 8:56 PM MST