Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » My first/only attempt at smoking (I was 10) cured me forever. What was your first experience like and what caused you to continue?

My first/only attempt at smoking (I was 10) cured me forever. What was your first experience like and what caused you to continue?

Posted - February 26, 2017

Responses

Well the story told to me was;  I was very very little, I want to say 2 but I'm not sure. I took a cigarette butt out of an ashtray and put it in my mouth, pretending to smoke.  My sperm donor saw me do it then lit a new cigarette and made me smoke it until I became sick and threw up.  A simple "no" would have sufficed. This post was edited by Sunshine at February 26, 2017 6:23 AM MST
      February 26, 2017 6:13 AM MST

That was cruel and definitely child abuse. The taste alone of that cigarette butt would have sufficed. No wonder you refer to that person as "sperm donor". That is NOT what a loving mom or dad would do. Condolences to you. Thank you for your reply Sunshine and Happy Sunday to you. I almost barfed and the pain was really bad from the hot smoke. It burned like crazy! I dunno why anyone would continue punishing him/herself like that. I didn't want  any part of it ! :)
      February 26, 2017 6:25 AM MST

I was 12 and my buddy, a guy who smoked all the time, talked me into it by saying that it helped to keep him warm in the cold snowy weather. Walking home from school, he would hide under a tree somewhere and break out the cancer sticks. 
    The first time I tried it, the awful burning sensation in my throat and the horrible scratchiness were only surpassed by the paranoia I had about smelling as if I had been smoking once I arrived at home. My "buddy" also had a remedy for calming my anticipation: just chew gum and no one would ever know. I thought that my hair, skin and clothing smelled like cigarettes, so I was sure that a stick of Wrigley's would fail to save me from a beating. 
    Lo and behold, I somehow made it home that first day free of being run through and through with a sword at the neck, which my "pal" saw as vindication for going ahead and lighting up again the next day. Like an idiot, I did it, and continued to do it for three or four more days. Of course, instead of becoming more comfortable with it as days went by, I was sure that my throat would fall out one day, but even more sure that the progressively tell-tale aroma of burnt nicotine cologne I now wore would land me under an imaginary guillotine at home. 
    The final straw came when it dawned on me that I was just as cold at the end of the week as I had been before I started smoking.  I was risking a firing squad on the front lawn, turning my esophagus into a Hibatchi grill, and there was no payoff whatsoever. Ignoring my "buddy's" taunts, I quit doing it and never returned to the filthy habit again, and I'm glad for it. 

~
      February 26, 2017 6:19 AM MST

Condolences that it took a few days longer for you Randy. But you were goaded to do it by someone. That one time for me was all it took but I was alone. Burned my throat and nose very badly. The pain was intense. Also I almost threw up and had a queasy stomach for a couple of hours. I could not believe that any sane person would go through that more than once. I wonder if some folks feel no pain at all and it just tastes "good"? How else would you explain people continuing to put themselves through that? Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday! We're certainly better off for it than those who either struggled through it or sailed through it! :)
      February 26, 2017 6:30 AM MST

Ah, yes, that disgusting taste!  I had forgotten that.  During my weeklong misadventure, I also wondered what people found so "pleasant" about smoking, thinking that one day I would eventually get it. That day never arrived. Yuck!

~
      February 26, 2017 6:39 AM MST

The only thing I can figure is that for some people it was a pleasant experience from the get-go. Either that or their tastebuds weren't fully developed. Imagine a world where everyone had our experience and never smoked again! I'm going to ask that question Randy!  Stay tuned! :)
      February 26, 2017 6:45 AM MST

When I was 6 I saw my dad smoking. I wanted to try so he let my take a puff, but I choked on the smoke and he just laughed. I think he knew what would happen and wanted to traumatize me so I won't try it again. Now I just puff on cigars occasionally. I used to puff on them more often until I accidentally inhaled and got nicotine sickness.
      February 26, 2017 7:29 AM MST

Had your father just started smoking when you were six years old?

~
      February 26, 2017 12:50 PM MST

I can't remember when he started.
      February 26, 2017 6:36 PM MST

• It being forbidden and taboo had a lot to do with it. Same draw for most teens I believe.  The law and society says " Only adults can do this"  so that sends the message it's the adult thing to do when you are trying to be more adult but still thinking like a kid. 

The brief quiet from the noise of being a teenager it brought made it so I kept doing it. Fact is, I liked it. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 26, 2017 12:55 PM MST
      February 26, 2017 12:45 PM MST

I never had an experience. I've hated cigarettes since birth and it's still true today.
      February 26, 2017 12:53 PM MST

I tagged along with two of my friends when I was about 11 or 12 because they were going to try smoking....Both of them tried one (I was waiting because my dad smoked and I wasn't particularly fond of the smell.)...Bot got violently sick immediately....Absolute confirmation of why not to smoke, and I never have.
      February 26, 2017 1:27 PM MST

ive never smoked in my life
      February 26, 2017 8:45 PM MST