Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Ever rejct an opportunity to make amends and be friends? Ever regret it?

Ever rejct an opportunity to make amends and be friends? Ever regret it?

Posted - February 26, 2017

Responses

• Only a couple of times in my lifetime and it was only because I thought the person or persons really weren't trustworthy. No. I've never regretted it because they proved me right. My instincts were correct.
      February 26, 2017 8:50 AM MST

You're lucky my friend. My instincts aren't and I have paid for it more than once. Where do I go to get them  calibrated? Thank you for your reply Rooster and Happy Sunday! :)
      February 26, 2017 11:05 AM MST

Yes I have and I don't regret it.  There is a reason why a falling out occurs.  People can't change their personalities.  I'm pretty easy going but if they are chronic liars, are abusive, untrustworthy (as Rooster noted above), manipulative, or any of the various reasons why I might choose to cut ties, that's the end of it for me. I am done.  
      February 26, 2017 9:31 AM MST

Me too. I don't give second chances to those who betray me or harm me. If they screw you once you know the second time will be easier for them. Why give them the chance?  Thank you for your thoughtful reply Harry! :)
      February 26, 2017 11:07 AM MST

I'm sure the opportunity will arise at some later date and I'm sure to epically reject it.
      February 26, 2017 9:33 AM MST

"Epically"? That I would like to witness m'dear! Thank you for your reply Zack and Happy Sunday! :)
      February 26, 2017 11:09 AM MST

• As above... i give people chances... I always start with trust and give people enough rope and opportunity to prove themselves good or bad... and when they do something bad, I give them another chance but watch carefully. In almost all cases, (can't think of one that didn't) they prove themselves irredeemable and do it again..  
      February 26, 2017 9:43 AM MST

You give second chances? As I told you before, you're nicer than I am. I figure once someone screws me the chances of it happening again are enormous. So no second chances. Tough old bird am I sweetie. A survivor. Thank you for your reply DdbTD! :)
      February 26, 2017 11:11 AM MST

• LOL yea sometimes I give 2 or 3, or maybe more chances.. you are being too kind to me now!  
      February 26, 2017 11:32 AM MST

I'm not. You just PROVED my point honey! 2-3 or more chances? You gotta be kidding me! How often do they keep screwing around with you? Never mind. Don't answer that. It's none of my business. I rest  my  case however!  Thank you for your reply ddbTD! :)
      February 26, 2017 12:12 PM MST

• LOL now don't you go worrying about me.. you know I am smart :P  I only ever lose what I am prepared to lose and allow it so that people can prove who they really are... so I get to walk away knowing they are unworthy of my attention... I am a tough cookie too :)
      February 26, 2017 12:37 PM MST

Maybe you are a tough cookie but I betcha your crumbs are more tender than mine sweetie! :) ((hugs))
      February 26, 2017 12:39 PM MST

• Dear RosieG,

It's not so much rejecting the amends...for me, it's more that I just cannot stay inside "friendship" patterns that are stifling...that don't allow you to grow...

So I reciprocate with something like, "Thank you for your kind words, I am pleased you are doing well, and I send you a warm hello." Then if they are truly interested in moving forward, I am open...but rarely has the friendship resumed.

There is an Einstein quote I wish I had kept, something about the difficult choice of staying stuck in old relationships or releasing them and moving on with your life...really impressed me so long ago now...
      February 26, 2017 11:16 AM MST

With my very brief interactions with you Virginia L I believe that you are a very good, kind, sweet person. I try to be what you seem to be naturally. So I admire/applaud you. Once trust is gone I'm done. No second chances. Maybe I've toughened up. I'm old and weary and I don't like to feel like a dam* fool. Which is what I do if I get conned more than once by the same source. Thank you for your thoughtful answer. I sincerely hope people don't let you down and that your trust/faith in them is justified!  Happy Sunday! :)
      February 26, 2017 12:16 PM MST

As an adult, in "real" life? I don't think I have. Online "friendships" are different story; probably because it's very difficult to really know people or feel invested, particularly when there's deception or an adversarial tone.  

February 26, 2017 11:54 AM MST

That's totally true SA. I get close to people very quickly. I've been emotionally screwed a few times on the internet by doing that. But it  doesn't weigh me down or bother me or stay with me very long.  I'm open and trusting and I pay for that sometimes but I'd far rather  be that me than another me who is closed off, distrustful and cold. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday! :)
      February 26, 2017 12:18 PM MST

That's great, Rosie; really admirable that you're so resilient!

Happy Sunday to you, too!
      February 26, 2017 9:00 PM MST

It's funny SA. I was a painfully shy child..very much an.introvert. A loner because of it. There's still some of that little  girl within me because I withdraw when I"m not comfy but I guess I'm a tough old bird and keep bouncing back. I'm ready for the next bout or the next possible friendship. If you don't stay open and take chances you could miss out on some great experiences and people. The unsinkable RosieG! That's me! Thank you for your kind reply and Happy Monday! :) ((hugs))
      February 27, 2017 2:36 AM MST

i dont remember that happening but i mightve regretted it
      February 26, 2017 4:33 PM MST

Thank you for your reply pearl and Happy Monday! :)
      February 27, 2017 2:37 AM MST