Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » This will get some folks' shorts in a knot! Pope Francis says" it's better to be an Atheist than a hypocritical Catholic". Agree/dis/why?

This will get some folks' shorts in a knot! Pope Francis says" it's better to be an Atheist than a hypocritical Catholic". Agree/dis/why?

Posted - February 26, 2017

Responses

• St. John said pretty much the same thing in Revelation 3:16 "So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth."
      February 26, 2017 2:28 PM MST

Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday.
      March 1, 2017 3:07 AM MST

• See Revelation 3:15- 16
      February 26, 2017 3:08 PM MST

i could kind of see why someone would say that
      February 26, 2017 4:20 PM MST

I keep hearing comments he has recently made to the similar effect, then and again it could all be fake news.

February 28, 2017 11:19 PM MST

What would be the purpose of that Autumn? Fake News is the province of politics. That is where lies are prevalent and truth is called FAKE NEWS. Religion isn't usually drawn into the fray. Of course what you say could be true but I cannot think of any reason someone would make it up. I think what the Pope might have been getting ata is that some Christians are not Christians at all. They wear the label but they don't live the lives. Atheists are honest. At least that's how I took it.  Wouldn't you rather have honesty than duplicity? Those non-Christians give Christianity a bad name.  They're the one who regularly go to church and quote Bible passages who are racists/bigots/homophobes . They are haters. Since when do Christians hate? Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday!  :)
      March 1, 2017 3:06 AM MST

Simply because lying is so prevalent in the world we live in. Don't get me wrong, I know all too well about hypocrisy among many who claim to be Christian. I also know about shameful behavior among atheists. As well as abhorrent behavior by non Christian religions. At least the atheists don't claim to give credit to a god they worship. That's the only difference between the behavior of a false Christian, a non Christian, and an atheist. You have a good day too. :)
      March 1, 2017 11:47 PM MST

Thank you for your reply Autumn and Happy Thursday! :)
      March 2, 2017 2:20 AM MST

Since those hypocritical "Christians" are in ALL religions, I do agree with the popes assessment.
      March 3, 2017 1:07 PM MST