Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Business » "Rachel Dolezal, white woman who identifies as black, now jobless, may soon be homeless after outed not long ago by a local news crew."

"Rachel Dolezal, white woman who identifies as black, now jobless, may soon be homeless after outed not long ago by a local news crew."

Not only was she terminated for not adhering to accepted classification before being hired, she has not been able to find work since with few to tell her story. So as open minded and tolerant as you think you are don't YOU still have a long way to go?

Posted - February 26, 2017

Responses

• It's karma. She deserves what she gets. She built her career around a lie and still refuses to admit any wrongdoing. Maybe if she can embrace who she really is she will be able to move on. 
      February 27, 2017 9:39 AM MST

I can't tell you how refreshing it is to hear your rational comments.  Balance is where we find contentment and happiness.  I think it may be a rare thing. 
      February 27, 2017 11:43 AM MST

Do transgenders embrace who they really are? Yet we make allowances.
      February 28, 2017 8:45 PM MST

It is a shame that the NAACP fired her because of her race. Quite ironic really. 

She should sue. They openly admitted she did a good job. 
      February 27, 2017 9:52 AM MST

• She wasn't fired for her race. She was fired for lying and misrepresenting herself. The first NAACP president was white. They don't have a rule against white leaders. But that doesn't mean they allow liars. 
      February 27, 2017 9:58 AM MST

Misrepresenting herself as black?
      February 27, 2017 12:23 PM MST

Nevan is right.  She lied on her employment application and continued to misrepresent herself.  She doesn't have a basis for a lawsuit.
      February 27, 2017 10:03 AM MST

Are employment applications allowed to ask your race? I know in my state employers are not allowed to have that on an application.
      February 27, 2017 10:31 AM MST

As far as I know, they are not allowed to enforce the question, but it is still allowed to be on the application.   You cannot discriminate.

You cannot lie either.  But she was a victim of hugely bad publicity.  That was her chief crime. 

The worst thing you can do is not answer.  That is like shouting to the firm you are applying to that you are a huge pain in the ass troublemaker and I, for one, would not hesitate to steer clear of people who are nit picking that issue.  

I am a whitey.   I am Caucasian.   Who cares?   I am black.  Who cares?  If you do?  I don't want to work there anyway. 

I need to pay the freaking rent, not become a political activist.  I paid my dues and what does it get you?  Donald Trump.  Good going.
      February 27, 2017 10:42 AM MST

This was long before Trump. 
    I know in the states I live in you cannot ask race on the application.
      February 27, 2017 11:42 AM MST

What states?

Of course it has nothing to do with that curse we propagated.  Trump is the inevitable end to all stupid acts we have proffered upon the USA.   Pretty soon we will have to put down our religion and give a credit report before we get hired.

Do you remember how you and your Trump gang blamed every act on Obama, like gas prices and the economy?  Well, now its Donald's turn.  Except with Trump it is most always not only true but worse than what you think.
      February 28, 2017 7:21 AM MST

Missouri and Illinois I have lived in and I know they cannot put race on the application.
      February 28, 2017 7:26 AM MST

Well I have been out of Chicago for 25 years and you certainly could put it on an app when I worked there.

It's Trump's fault. 
      February 28, 2017 7:27 AM MST

Actually, I believe it is one of the questions required by the EEOC to be on the application.  You don't have to answer it, though.

How could the EEOC enforce "diverse" hiring practices, if that question isn't somewhere in employees' files?  They couldn't.

EDIT:  I just looked it up from the EEOC website.  You can't ask race/gender relations "pre-employment".  Which means the employer has to put it on the "new hire" paperwork, so it will be in the employees' files if an EEOC complaint is filed.  (because employers are assumed guilty, unless they can provide evidence of innocence)

This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at February 28, 2017 7:41 AM MST
      February 28, 2017 7:35 AM MST

which is what I orginially said on my initial answer.

thank you, WALT, that was exactly my point.

AMEN
      February 28, 2017 7:38 AM MST

I do believe that is one of the questions it is illegal for an employer to ask.  The office claimed she lied on her application & during the interview process. I don't know what she lied about on her application, only that it is what was stated as part of the grounds for dismissal. If she offered up the race information freely on the application & during the interview process, then, that is something only they can answer.  In any event, she has had ample time to sue them and chosen not to do so which is a good indication that she did lie.  

I don't know if this will interest you but I found it to informative & interesting
    http://blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life/2015/06/rachel-dolezal-lying-about-racial-identity-a-crime.html
      February 27, 2017 10:52 AM MST

Sue for what!!!  She lied on an employment application...............that is cause if she was not in an employment at will state, but she was so no cause is needed to fire someone anyway.  She is a fraud.   
      February 27, 2017 11:51 AM MST

She was fired because of her race. That is never legal grounds for termination. This post was edited by my2cents at February 28, 2017 8:48 PM MST
      February 27, 2017 12:25 PM MST

She was fired because she is a fraud.
      March 1, 2017 9:13 PM MST

She was fired because she was not black. 
      March 2, 2017 4:19 AM MST

thats crazy
      February 27, 2017 9:57 AM MST

I think we all have a long way to go with open mindedness.  But, that doesn't have anything to do with her situation IMO.  My stance is that her problems are completely self-created and she needs to take ownership of that.

She asserts her situation is like that of a transgender person.  She states she identifies as trans-black.  Whether she is 'trans-black" or not isn't my concern.  I am not judging her on what she feels like inside.  I am solely judging her on her dishonesty and complete lack of remorse for stringing so many people along for many years.  There is something wrong with her reasoning process and she needs to recognize that she needs help from a mental health professional. 

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/02/26/rachel-dolezal-white-woman-who-identifies-as-black-now-jobless-may-soon-be-homeless.html
      February 27, 2017 10:31 AM MST

Do transgenders need the same help?
      February 28, 2017 8:49 PM MST

If they live a complete lie, perpetuate it for years, refuse to acknowledge that lie when caught out, find excuses to defend why they did what they did, and continue to place blame on others for their own actions & the life problems they are currently encountering......ABSOLUTELY.

As I stated, my feelings have nothing do with whether she is having an identity issue.  It has to do with how she has conducted herself.  Sadly, I believe if she just fessed up & apologized, then explained why she did it, I think people would have been more forgiving and she wouldn't be in the pickle she is currently finding herself in.
      March 1, 2017 5:04 AM MST