Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Ever been bitter? How long did you remain in that place before you shook it off and moved on?

Ever been bitter? How long did you remain in that place before you shook it off and moved on?

Posted - February 27, 2017

Responses

• Twice.

When I was 51 I was retrenched from a job for the first time in my life. It was part of an economy drive and they fired the wrong man. For months after that, every time I thought about it, I'd become angry. Eventually I forgot about it but I don't have fond memories for the man behind the move. 

The other one was far too personal to recount here. It involved somebody's death. If we'd allowed ourselves to hate it would have destroyed who we are so we shuffled it off to one side. We haven't forgotten or forgiven, but we're not bitter either. We just got on with our lives. That also took some months to set aside.
      February 27, 2017 3:06 AM MST

I don't recall ever being bitter Didge. I revert to STOIC when things occur I can't control or don't understand. It's probably an automatic safety. I mull over things and keep trying to work them out in my mind but there is no resolution because I can't do it alone on my own. I've had some experiences like that. They stay with me. Not 24/7 but on and off.  If I were smarter I could probably have figured them out by now. I think there are some emotions  that are really harmful to the person feeling them. Jealousy/envy..revenge/retaliation..bitter. I don't do those. Never have. Investing emotion or time or energy in them absolutely makes no sense to me. Have I been wronged? Sure. Have I wronged others? Sure. You move on and try to better..both for what you do/say and for trying understand the why of others. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday!  :)
      February 27, 2017 3:13 AM MST

• Wise words, Rosie, and we probably have a similar outlook there. Two doses of bitterness in 80 years on this planet ain't so bad.
      February 27, 2017 3:17 AM MST

True sweetie. Some seem to go through life in BITTER mode. They are not my cuppa tea! :)
      February 27, 2017 3:23 AM MST

sometimes and it depends on what happened
      February 27, 2017 9:47 AM MST

• Bitter. Several decades.
      February 27, 2017 2:42 PM MST

Bitter?  Maybe at the start of a true betrayal, but I can't say I have ever hung onto that emotion.  As time marches on, I either just let it go and don't think much about it or may even "forgive" someone.

This post was edited by PeaPod is just popping by at February 27, 2017 2:51 PM MST
      February 27, 2017 2:50 PM MST