Active Now

Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Responding to a question might be amusing but if it doesn't ANSWER the question it isn't helpful. I like helpful. Are you?

Responding to a question might be amusing but if it doesn't ANSWER the question it isn't helpful. I like helpful. Are you?

Posted - February 27, 2017

Responses

• That depends on the question. When I first started with aMug I would have agreed with you but so many of the "questions" posted are merely intended to get a discussion started. Most of mine are written with that in mind. In that case, ANY answer is acceptable and, from the responder's point of view, is valid.

I've noticed only two people on here who respond in ways that are so silly that their posts are useless. I just give 'em a tick to say Thank You for answering, and ignore them. 
      February 27, 2017 3:46 AM MST

• Sorry, I do try my best. :)
      February 27, 2017 4:09 AM MST

• And, of course, you know you're not one of the two, Karen. ;-)
      February 27, 2017 11:34 AM MST

Your goal/raison d'etre for asking questions and mine are not the same Didge. I never ask questions to merely start a discussion. I ask the questions I do because I often can't figure things out on my own and I want fresh minds/brains to respond who could possibly help me make sense of things I cannot do on my own.  I ask questions for ME because they hound me if I don't. I WANT answers to the questions I ask. If I didn't I wouldn't have asked them. The usual suspects use them as a springboard to go off on rants and talk about things THEY'd rather talk about. That doesn't cut it for me.  They are useless to me. Sure some of their non-responsive replies occasions lengthy threads of back and forth among Answermuggers. Good for them. It does nothing for ME. So while I understand and appreciate your MO it isn't my cuppa tea. Conversation for its own sake is "making small talk". I've never been interested in that or very good at it.  Thank you for your reply. When folks tell me "it depends" that is also not responsive. If you can give me examples of some of them that would be helpful. But "it depends" just takes up space for no reason. At least insofar as being of help to me in seeking logic/reason/purpose. No disrespect intended. There are some folks who "it depends" me constantly. I think it's all they've got and they want to participate. SIGH.  :)
      February 27, 2017 4:16 AM MST

Rosie, if you want to set the rules on how questions are answered, then you need to start your own web site. As Didge, said questions here are springboards for discussion. They are not a pop quiz. I also question whether you really want answers, many of your 'questions' are simply statements for which you seem to need agreement. I also suggest that you take the time to read other posts on this site so that you can understand how it really works. If you do (which I doubt you will), prepare to get your feelings hurt.
      February 27, 2017 4:36 AM MST

• OK, sorry Rosie. I had no idea you were looking for answers -- I thought your questions were just rhethorical. I'll keep my opinions to myself.
      February 27, 2017 11:37 AM MST

Everyone can judge for themselves how helpful my answers are.
      February 27, 2017 3:59 AM MST

Surely you KNOW if you answer the questions I ask. I don't have to do your self-assessment for you. You can do it.  In YOUR opinion are you helpful? So far as my experience with you has gone you are very helpful. I don't know how you engage with others. I assume the same as you do with me but only YOU can answer that question.  Do you think you are helpful? Thank you for your reply HarryD! :)
      February 27, 2017 4:49 AM MST

I try to be helpful, and I treat this website as a serious forum and tend to avoid the purely humourous questions some people post when they get bored. I think it is up to others to decide how successful I am at being helpful, Rosie. My ego is not so big that I assume I always succeed. For instance, I totally misunderstood a posting by our down-under friend, Mr. Didge, by thinking he was referring to my countries BBC, when he meant his own countries ABC.
      February 27, 2017 4:58 AM MST

• If a question has several answers that actually answer the question, I'm a prone to go with something a little off the cuff.  If there are no answers, or the answers given do not answer the question, I keep it straight with my answer. 
      February 27, 2017 4:11 AM MST

There are always many variations on a theme Karen. Which means there can be multiple diverse answers to one question.  But it has to be on that same THEME. Some folks use my questions to go off on a ranting riff which has nothing to do with what I asked. They may be entertaining to some but they are not helpful to me. I'm not impressed by cleverness at all. Never have been. I am impressed by thoughtful people who are ALWAYS civil and knowledgeable who share what they know as it pertains to the questions I ask. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      February 27, 2017 4:52 AM MST

• If a question can have multiple answers, I answer accordingly. Some questions are straight to the point and have only one real answer, those are the ones I am talking about. 
      February 27, 2017 5:02 AM MST

Sometimes a question has incorrect information in it that needs corrected. 
      February 27, 2017 4:14 AM MST

Sometimes the corrector is "correcting" the truth to coincide with the partisan political script. Happens all the time. As a Trump supporter m2c your idea of truth and mine are not the same. We both do the best we can but if you respond to  a question I ask with your version of the truth I don't accept it because it isn't my truth. Thank you for your reply. If I accepted your truth I would be a Trump supporter too. I am not nor will I ever be that.
      February 27, 2017 4:55 AM MST

No....Truth is truth. 
      February 27, 2017 5:01 AM MST

Like the way you looked on the numbers of sex crimes in Sweden? You don't have to answer.  This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 27, 2017 5:11 AM MST
      February 27, 2017 5:10 AM MST

Yes I looked at the numbers in Sweden. I still say the way they record their crime stats does a extreme disservice to their country (inflation of crime stats is in my opinion stupid). I do thank Bozette for actually showing information. 
      February 27, 2017 5:23 AM MST

You need to look into how data is collected if you want to make comparisons across countries. As simple as that. To call the government of a sovereign country stupid doesn't make your take on the truth any more right. At times we simply need to admit we did wrong. Gives higher integrity around our person. Just saying.
      February 27, 2017 5:38 AM MST

I don't believe I am completely wrong. Listening to police chief's there and looking at the stat and comparing how they corspond with increase in refugees.....Shows a link. 
      February 27, 2017 5:41 AM MST

You might find other stuff that increased in the same period of time. Correlating? Anyway, you are doing it again. Trying to avoid to admit that your "stupid" remark about the Swedish government was out of line. I can find a lot of stupid statistics from the US, how would you like me to call your government stupid (aka represents of the people of your country)? Never mind, we won't getting anywhere. I see the pattern. I need to teach myself to stay out of your threads. Even if I see inconsistencies with previous remarks stated by you. All my best. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 27, 2017 6:40 AM MST
      February 27, 2017 5:46 AM MST

I do believe it is stupid to record crime records so differently from the rest of the world that gives your country the reputation of having high rape..... Google rape capital of the world and  your get Sweden. If that is not the case then they should correct the stats so it more accurately compares them to the world. I don't see that as anything but stupid for a country.... Especially a country whose native population is stagnant, who relies on immigration for growth.  I am of Swedish heritage and would not think of visiting much less moving there.
      February 27, 2017 6:00 AM MST

Who made the the articles with such jump conclusions and headings? It will be the outlets you found when using Rapugees as google search word. It is taken from sources with a political agenda. It's not up to a government to change their methods because some right wingers in USA are making wrongly use of the numbers to make Trump look stronger in a national election that's not under Swedish jurisdiction. If you cannot see this... Forget it... I'm giving up, you'll never admit you made a jump conclusion. You'll prefer shooting at the Swedish government, and there by the people of Sweden rather than admitting your sources were using the data wrongly out of political reasons. You will have your reasons. Make it look like you want. Doesn't make anything change. Any other than me becoming aware of a thing or two. It's more healthy for me not to debate with you as we get nowhere. As for heritage, it seems not important on how to interpret data or sources.  Over and out.
      February 27, 2017 6:18 AM MST

The election is over. Trump won in November.   Sweden was not mentioned. This is about learning from watching the chaos, the increase in crime as a result of allowing so many refugees in a country. Sweden is an example as is Germany. 
      February 27, 2017 7:44 AM MST

Please stop distorting stuff. This is an old story from last year that is being blown up again because of him wrongly stating Sweden had been attacked the day before. Stop this propaganda, and even without knowing nada. Could we drop it here? As said, no constructive dialogue here, you keep defending your sources of doubtful character and at the same isn't willing... Forget it, why do I keep trying... Bye. Hopefully for the last time. Smh.
      February 27, 2017 7:48 AM MST