Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
Spunky
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Language » Silence connotes approval/support. The only way to challenge/question/call attention to anything is to speak up. Do you?

Silence connotes approval/support. The only way to challenge/question/call attention to anything is to speak up. Do you?

Posted - February 27, 2017

Responses

Sometimes someone is silent only because they are waiting for a sign of weakness before attacking.
      February 27, 2017 4:09 AM MST

OK JV. Lying in wait to plan the best way to attack. Taking time to plan so when you execute it you get maximum results. I can understand that. Here's the problem though. If you wait too long the time has passed and it's too late. Sometimes things come and go in a flash and if you blink you miss out. You don't always have the advantage o luxury of time. But your point is well taken. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday. :)
      February 27, 2017 4:31 AM MST

Who's to decide which ways to speak up, or when? We each do at our own, and best ways that we believe in. Some believe in not at all. It's all within the privilege given to us living in the free world. Personally I do speak up. Not all the time in equal loud tone. It will merely turn it into a white sound that no one will pay attention too. IMHO This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 27, 2017 6:51 PM MST
      February 27, 2017 4:17 AM MST

Thank you for your reply SH. So you do not challenge my assertion that silence connotes approval then?  You agree with me?
      February 27, 2017 4:28 AM MST

I say each do what they believe is best. Some choose to stay silent, or maybe take their speaking up to a place we aren't aware about. I hesitate judging people from only that little I can see, at least if they aren't vocal and consistent in their presenting themselves towards the public. I'd say what we cannot, is complain about a situation if we did nothing to prevent it first hand. As example, those not voting for an election cannot complain about the outcome. They will have to join in on the coming election. Mhmm.
      February 27, 2017 4:39 AM MST

Personally I think the 92 million registered voters who opted out and couldn't be bothered voting are the ones who complain the most. I just don't get it SH. Being a citizen of the United States requires very little of us. Sure. We have to follow the laws. But non-citizens have to do that too. We have to pay taxes. Sure. So do non-citizens. The one thing only we can do is VOTE. Those who  are too lazy to bother say there are disenchanted and can't get behind anyone so they don't vote. No excuse. None. If you are infirm you vote by mail. You don't have to be inconvenienced at all. You SHOULD DO SOME HOMEWORK so you know what you are voting for in terms of local elections and local propositions. It is not an undue burden but some are much too lazy to be bothered. They never say "I was too lazy to be bothered". They always give you some self-righteous exalted lousy excuse. To which I say "baloney!" Thank you for your thoughtful reply! :) Just my opinion. I have never NOT VOTED! I'm 79. Have I always been thrilled at the choices available to me? NEVER! So what? SIGH.
      February 27, 2017 4:46 AM MST

I was replying your question in general, and merely making the example about the elections as it's a very easy one to use. Goes for any other aspect too. US or outside US. I'm sorry, if my reply made it look like I was only talking about your (the US) resent election for POTUS.

As for who's complaining the most, I'm not aware. I haven't seen any statistics on this subject yet. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 27, 2017 5:07 AM MST
      February 27, 2017 5:06 AM MST

• Some do not know how to speak up, some let others do the talking for them, some speak up at every opportunity. It all comes down to the individual and the situation.  On the flip side, when someone is always speaking up, and never takes a breath, others tend to consider that droning and eventually start tuning them out, it just turns into a background hum. 
      February 27, 2017 4:53 AM MST

• The first premise is very suspect and needs to be demonstrated.
      February 27, 2017 2:41 PM MST