Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Those without medical insurance could die without it. The poor. The rich don't need it. They can buy life. No-brainer, right?

Those without medical insurance could die without it. The poor. The rich don't need it. They can buy life. No-brainer, right?

So why is that the rich who have no dog in the fight are the ones who vote on things that are essential to the poor? How does that make any sense?

Posted - February 27, 2017

Responses

Are they dying now? Plenty of poor people in hospitals. Plenty without insurance. This post was edited by O-uknow at February 27, 2017 10:01 AM MST
      February 27, 2017 7:15 AM MST

O-uknow

And plenty still being treated without cost to the patient.
      February 27, 2017 9:06 AM MST

They are still liable for the bill if they do not qualify for Medicaid which is not that easy to qualify for.  It's true they may have no way of paying at the time, but they will get billed.  Should they ever apply for credit down the road, they will likely be denied and trust me, those bill collectors don't back off.

I have gone without insurance in the past and it's a stress I don't wish on anyone.  I was lucky I didn't have any major hospitalizations, but I sure had lots of bills that took months to pay.
      February 27, 2017 10:07 AM MST

For the same reason those who don't own property, can vote on property tax measures.
    Or those without kids can vote on school measures.

If you want a reason - I can think of two.  "conflict of interest" ... AND ... "the rich have to pay for it, so they should get a vote"
      February 27, 2017 7:26 AM MST

The invisible hand will get rid of these poor people.
      February 27, 2017 9:17 AM MST

not sure why but theres always programs around for people that cant afford health care
      February 27, 2017 8:57 AM MST

pearl

I agree, there are programs (many of which I didn't know even existed until I did some research) that help people. There are even doctors that still make house calls. :) I have even received medications from my own doctor without charge so the help is there.
      February 27, 2017 9:04 AM MST

You have to be at the poverty level to get Medicaid coverage.  There are plenty of working poor that can't afford insurance premiums, yet can't qualify for assistance.  ObamaCare expanded Medicaid to make more people eligible, but with Trump in there to undo everything, many will likely be uninsured again.
      February 27, 2017 10:09 AM MST

Under the Oregon plan, before Obama ... the "poverty level" for coverage was $60,000/year.  Many people who could be covered admitted they did not want coverage - because they were mostly young and healthy and didn't think they needed it.

I wonder how many people who received coverage under the ACA were those type.  They had chosen not to enroll, even though they had qualified, because they didn't think they'd need it.  Must have been quite a few - or the punishment for not getting coverage wouldn't have been needed in the law.
      February 27, 2017 11:35 AM MST

Do you have a link that shows that is the cut off for Oregon?  That is far different from what is in Pa.  Medicaid coverage (which was expanded by the ACA) is available if you are 135% of the current poverty level.  Sounds great until you look at the numbers.  For one person, that is $11,880.  For a family of three, the FPL is $20,160.  That is what you call poor!

ObamaCare did help a lot of people, but not all.  There are a lot of lower income people that still have to make a choice between groceries or going to a doctor.  Most doctors won't even see you without an insurance card.
      February 27, 2017 12:56 PM MST

I know ... Oregon was weird.  They weren't getting enough people signed up on their plan, even going to benefit "fairs" and advertising for people to join.  So they raised the wage level to encourage more people to join.  That was "way back" before Obama was elected, IIRC.  It was joked about on local conservative radio talk shows, at the time.

"We can't get enough poor people to enroll in the plan."

"I know!  Let's increase the eligibility level, and get some middle class people on it.  That will make our numbers look better, and justify our agency."

NOTE: Oregon's current cut off for adults is 138% of FPL ... for children up to 18, it is 300% of FPL. 
    So a single parent with one kid can make up to $46,600 and put their kid on the plan ... even though the parent can't be on it.

This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at February 27, 2017 1:34 PM MST
      February 27, 2017 1:27 PM MST

It's crazy that the majority of people who are against national health care don't realize that it would likely save money in the end. Rather than putting off going to the hospital until they're seriously ill or dying (at which point they DO receive very expensive care, on the government's dime), people without insurance (or those who only have catastrophic insurance, which is many of us), could receive preventative care and regular screenings and avoid becoming seriously ill. As you say, those who have money or are fortunate enough to have comprehensive insurance coverage aren't impacted.
      February 27, 2017 10:57 AM MST

I don't have insurance. The rest of my family does. Husband gets Medicare, my kids have Medicaid we pay $90 a month for it. 
    I don't qualify for medical assistance. I looked in AFC plans....I will not throw good money after bad. The deductible is ridiculous. I would only meet it if I were seriously ill. I can just use the hundreds of dollars to private pay my medical. 
    I actually had to take son to Urgent care Saturday for the Flu. The lady tried to pull me up in the hospital system.  And she was shocked I was not in it. I told her I don't get sick. 
      February 27, 2017 3:01 PM MST