Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Education » Teaching students WHAT to think is dictatorial. Teaching students HOW to think is enlightening. Why do YOU think what you think?

Teaching students WHAT to think is dictatorial. Teaching students HOW to think is enlightening. Why do YOU think what you think?

Posted - February 27, 2017

Responses

• Dear RosieG,

Well as I get older I am compiling a list of why I think what I think...not very good news, but here you go...

1. Confirmation bias
    2. Cognitive dissonance
    3. Dunning-Kruger effect
    4. Stockholm syndrome, and last...
    5. Plain Old Intimidation
      February 27, 2017 2:02 PM MST

Nothing comes to you from within unlabeled? It seems so rigid and inflexible and where is the wiggle room?  I'm thinking there is more to you than that. You just don't feel comfy enough to share it. Thank you for your reply Virginia. What is your position on rainbows, unicorns and thinking makes it so?  :)
      February 27, 2017 2:48 PM MST

• Well...I guess I DO think that dragonflies are secretly fairies...in disguise...and that birds sing not because they have a statement, but because they have a song...(but then again, maybe rainbows, unicorns and all that happens only here on aMug).

Seriously RosieG, yours is a wonderful Q and I hope people come with creative and diverse viewpoints!

February 27, 2017 4:28 PM MST

• Nice pic, Virginia. I saved a copy. 
      February 27, 2017 4:30 PM MST

• Dozy, I searched this out with great delight when I discovered Dragonfly is coming to the site...then yesterday RK said she is going to try to come more often, too!
      February 27, 2017 4:37 PM MST

• I saw that, although I only ran across it this morning. She's a nique thinker and brings a great deal of knowledge. I wonder if Yosey would be interested? She dropped out of Blurtit almost immediately and hasn't been on a Q&A site for about 18 months. 
      February 27, 2017 4:40 PM MST

• Oh...I wish Yosey would come!
    We need her, this is her photo from Christmas 2014...

February 27, 2017 4:49 PM MST

• Nice one. 
      February 27, 2017 4:50 PM MST

Thank you for the loverly reply Virginia and the breathtakingly beautiful graphic. I appreciate both as well as the compliment.  As for unicorns when I was on Answerbag my avatar was a mother unicorn and her baby. Since I was a teenager I've loved unicorns. They are pure and rare and wonderful. They are targets for evildoers who are jealous of them so they dare not show themselves. Just because we don't see them doesn't mean they don't exist. They see us. Happy Tuesday to you m'dear! :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 28, 2017 2:22 AM MST
      February 28, 2017 2:14 AM MST

• Fabulous list, Virginia. 
      February 27, 2017 4:17 PM MST

LOL, Virginia---I'm not buying your answer---You are one of the most open minded, flexible, and independent thinkers I know....And I always enjoy your esoteric cogitations....(esoteric---intended for or likely to be understood by only a small number of people with a specialized knowledge or interest.)

Although---Dunning-Kruger aside---it is true that intelligent, knowledgeable people tend to not fully own their talents and ability---probably because of the typical misunderstanding of the nature of true humility that has been dictatorially taught to us. This post was edited by tom jackson at February 27, 2017 9:51 PM MST
      February 27, 2017 5:29 PM MST

• Aw shucks, TJ...you so sweet...
      February 27, 2017 9:52 PM MST

I'm also wonderful in general according to my wife---but she always worrkes that will go to my head...LOL
      February 28, 2017 11:38 AM MST

My first mode of thinking comes from my dominant right brain.  It has never let me down. The creative approach to thinking has few boundaries and a lot more humour, which allows me to be more laid back in my thinking. It also allows me to wait as I process unfamiliar information. In face-to-face situation, my right brain helps me know when people are lying. This reliable foundation, my own experience, plus new information informs my thinking. 
      February 27, 2017 4:13 PM MST

• Rathkeale, I think one of the joys of a Q/A site like this one can be the (rather unconditional) opportunity to experience the thinking process of others, various ways of seeing the world...maybe a lighter touch, sense of warmth/loving humour about it all...and more laid back too...ty, nice summation. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 27, 2017 4:35 PM MST
      February 27, 2017 4:34 PM MST

Thanks, Virginia. I haven't thought about this for a long time. I must say how impressed I was by your list. It got me thinking. 
      February 27, 2017 4:39 PM MST

• As you see RK, lots of tongue-in-cheek...however, it helps me to be constantly alert, looking for those influences in my thinking...then rooting them out when I can.
    RosieG actually has my number here, her mention of unicorns and rainbows...
      February 27, 2017 4:45 PM MST

((hugs))
      February 28, 2017 2:30 AM MST

Thank you for a very thoughtful and informative answer  Rathkeale. I appreciate it a lot. "..my right brain helps me know when people are lying". Wish I had that ability/talent/capability. I don't lie so I expect others not to lie as well. A very simplistic approach to life. Of course it is naive, ingenous and I'm wrong from time to time. I guess we all pay a price for being wired as we are.  Happy Tuesday to you! :)
      February 28, 2017 2:21 AM MST

Truth exists and is the proper object of study....In that sense, teach them what to think, but do not require them to believe what you believe about reality...

Also teach them how to think----that will allow them to understand why they can have a different belief about reality than you might have about something....

And share when asked, why you believe what you do...(Kids need our guidance with regard to conclusions.) This post was edited by tom jackson at February 28, 2017 2:22 AM MST
      February 27, 2017 5:20 PM MST

Whose truth? In Texas I believe science books were going to be rewritten to eliminate any mention of Evolution. I don't know if that ever actually happened. A TV show host said that the earth is 6000 years old because that's what the Bible says. Teachers are limited by their biases. So students are at the mercy of their teachers just as children are at the mercy of their parents. Critical independent thinking. That is something that is essential to have for each of us  in my opinion. But you have to be shown/taught. You must have examples. If none of that exists then how much of your truth is truthy and how much is valid/solid/real? Teaching is the noblest profession in my opinion. It is also the hardest to get right. Being able to put our prejudices aside isn't easy but good teachers/great teachers do that and their students benefit from it. Thank you for your reply tom and Happy Tuesday! :)
      February 28, 2017 2:37 AM MST

I disagree with your basic premise, RosieG...I'm not talking about whose truth---I'm talking about The Truth, which is the conformity of the mind to that which exists....

And it is The Truth which exists and is the proper object of study....

"The investigation of the truth is in one way hard, in another easy. An indication of this is found in the fact that no one is able to attain the truth adequately, while, on the other hand, no one fails entirely, but every one says something true about the nature of things, and while individually they contribute little or nothing to the truth, by the union of all a considerable amount is amassed. Therefore, since the truth seems to be like the proverbial door, which no one can fail to hit, in this way it is easy, but the fact that we can have a whole truth and not the particular part we aim at shows the difficulty of it. Perhaps, as difficulties are of two kinds, the cause of the present difficulty is not in the facts but in us"....

(Aristotle---Metaphysics.)
      February 28, 2017 11:36 AM MST

I say what I think. I don't require anyone to agree with me. I say what makes sense to me and always will. Thank you for your reply tom. Different strokes. Nothing wrong with that. Brains are wired differently. Intellects/experiences/personalities are different. What you think is TRUE is TRUE FOR YOU. Since all is illusory anyway your reality is yours alone and not mine. Quantum  physics you see. The observer determines what is observed. If I'm on a mountain and you are at sea level what we see is different. Each is true. For our orientation. One size does not fit all. What you believe is fine for you. I don't subscribe to what others believe. Only that which makes sense to me. So shoot me. :)
      February 28, 2017 11:44 AM MST

Broken brain cells.
      February 27, 2017 9:56 PM MST