Active Now

my2cents
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Family » Were you ever an "out-of-control" teenager?

Were you ever an "out-of-control" teenager?

It's something I just can't fathom. Stories of 13-year-olds doing LSD, stealing cars, and getting pregnant. When I was 13 I was a little innocent baby lol, more concerned with reading fantasy novels and going on bike-rides than diving head-first into the slums of adult problems. My parents had it so easy with me. 

What about you? Were you easy on your parents?

Posted - March 1, 2017

Responses

• Absolutely. Not what you see on TV, but a hooligan still.  More in the rabble-rousing sense than destructive criminal.  Fighting, drinking, smoking, staying out late, going where I wasn't supposed to, skipping class.  
      March 1, 2017 12:07 PM MST

Yeppers.  Though more in the sense Glis speaks of than what you list.
      March 1, 2017 12:09 PM MST

• I knew those kids though,  sure you did as well.
      March 1, 2017 12:16 PM MST

Oh yeah, sure did. 
      March 1, 2017 2:33 PM MST

• Of course what you see on Dr. Phil is the extreme; most "difficult" teens don't approach that level. But it's interesting that some kind of unruliness seems to be quite common. Even my dad had stories of blacking out while driving drunk at 17. And he's such a reserved nerd now. lol This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 2, 2017 6:58 AM MST
      March 1, 2017 12:19 PM MST

• For me a lot of it came down to being adventurous and curious about the "dark places".  We used to get into a lot of fights though with other kids who came to steal bikes or whatnot.  There was some other things I did that were pretty bad but rather not talk about on public boards.
      March 1, 2017 12:32 PM MST

I don't see a lot of kids today doing many of the things I did as a teen, but we didn't have zero-tolerance policies and the police weren't called for every little thing, either.  Adults then realized we were just testing our limits, and while we paid for doing things wrong, punishment was meted out with more common sense then, imho. This post was edited by Bozette at March 2, 2017 6:58 AM MST
      March 1, 2017 2:39 PM MST

Nope, I was always pretty laid back and did well in school. I did go through a goth phase, that's probably the only mildly interesting thing about my teen years.
      March 1, 2017 12:13 PM MST

I was out of control from the age of 10 and all thru my teen years.
    But I was more like Glis and Bozette.
    My poor parents went thru Hell with me.
      March 1, 2017 12:13 PM MST

• It's more common than I think. Puberty is a tumultuous time. I honestly think the reason I was so mild was my intense introversion and lack of interest in anything social. I may have been different if I had met different people. I let loose more in college, though. 
      March 1, 2017 12:18 PM MST

I had a few rebellious years in my later teens.  I had an older brother and little parental supervision.

March 1, 2017 12:18 PM MST

Sometimes it feels damn good to grow up!  
      March 1, 2017 12:52 PM MST

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!" 
      March 9, 2017 7:37 PM MST

It was a period in my life that I will always regret. One of a few times that my parents were right about, but I wouldn't listen. If I did, it would have saved me a lot of heartache.
      March 1, 2017 12:52 PM MST

You seem to have learned from your mistakes, that's what matters. You seem to be all the wiser, kudos to you !!
      March 8, 2017 10:47 PM MST

• Nah, I was a good girl....mostly! A little drinking, a little weed, sneaking out occasionally....but nothing major.
      March 1, 2017 2:28 PM MST

I was - they even had to put me in a special school which wound up making me worse. But in the long run it worked out good - when it came to raising my 2 sons they couldn't pull the wool over my eyes because I seen and done it all. Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at March 8, 2017 10:48 PM MST
      March 1, 2017 5:02 PM MST

When my mother left my step-father I went crazy.  He was an ex- marine and overly strict.  I had to work most Saturdays while my friends in the neighborhood were playing.  When he was out of the picture I played and goofed off until even my graduation from high school was in doubt.  Only then did I turn my life around.  Then the discipline I learned from him actually paid off.
      March 1, 2017 7:58 PM MST

not at all, i was a good girl
      March 1, 2017 8:48 PM MST

I was/am very much in control. Doesn't mean I was an innocent angel though. :P
      March 3, 2017 9:06 AM MST

As a teenager in the mid 60s I was a pretty good kid. I have always had a fear of getting hurt in the process of doing something bad. Of course it was such a different world back then. I totally sympathize with today's teenagers. Things are so much more complicated than at any time in human history. This post was edited by Autumnleaves at March 8, 2017 10:43 PM MST
      March 8, 2017 10:39 PM MST

• No, I was never difficult or disobedient towards my mother. She wouldn't have had that.
    But everywhere else I was pretty much . . You know.... different.
      March 8, 2017 10:52 PM MST