Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » So I put up a feeder because I been seeing more Cardinals than usual around. Now there isn't one to be found. Whaddup with that?

So I put up a feeder because I been seeing more Cardinals than usual around. Now there isn't one to be found. Whaddup with that?

Yes it's Cardinal blend and the proper feeder.  I think they are laughing at me and did it out of spite.

Posted - March 1, 2017

Responses

• "You're probably right!"

"Whatta rube!"

I'm driving north on I-25, out of Denver, to pickup a load at the Walmart just up the road. I see a deer, off to the right of the highway, and sure enough, as I get closer, it bolts for the highway. I hit the brakes and the deer is still coming. I'm sure I'm going the hit him and just as the deer gets to the shoulder, it turns around and runs back to the woods. Phew!

After I pickup the load, I head back south and at about the same spot (but on the other side of the road) is (I'm guessing) the same deer. Again, as I get close, he bolts for the road ... and again, as he gets to the shoulder, he turns and runs back to the woods. I'm positive that he was later sitting around the campfire, with his buddies, saying, "You should have seen the look on his face!" This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 1, 2017 4:15 PM MST
      March 1, 2017 12:56 PM MST

When it comes to feeding birds my wife would always fill up three or four feeders. The first day nothing. Second, third and fourth day the same. Then a little starling would venture in the yard and gorge him / her self. Within an hour or so you would think the entire Northern bird migration had landed in the yard. After that the birds would show up every two to three days. Then the squirrels came and the game was on. The squirrels won most of the time. 
      March 1, 2017 1:26 PM MST

Cardinals are finicky eaters. Most of the time they come very late just as it gets dark. They like grey striped sunflower seeds. I have developed a decent following of the red buggers here. They are starting to nest in the evergreens every year. I also noticed a lot of 'bird noise' coming from a nearby neighbor's house. I guess they have some kick-a$$ bird food over there.
      March 1, 2017 1:53 PM MST

I would guess he reseeded his lawn.
      March 2, 2017 4:45 AM MST

They got tired of waiting for you to put up a feeder and took off.  Screw 'em.  Buy this feeder instead

March 1, 2017 2:09 PM MST

They are just now looking for mates. They showed up a few weeks ago and have stayed. I don't feed them but I see them and recognize their many calls when I can't. Most are females.
      March 1, 2017 2:28 PM MST

Oomph.

March 1, 2017 2:33 PM MST

• It's not Baseball season yet!
    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 4, 2017 6:04 PM MST
      March 1, 2017 2:36 PM MST

maybe someone else beat you to it and put up a bird feeder too
      March 1, 2017 8:47 PM MST

(I've been)
      March 1, 2017 9:28 PM MST