Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » WHAT IF it were possible to computer-generate human beings? Would the circumstances of their "birth" be cause to scapegoat them?

WHAT IF it were possible to computer-generate human beings? Would the circumstances of their "birth" be cause to scapegoat them?

Posted - March 2, 2017

Responses

I would hardly be "a reason", but I am sure bullies would use it as one.
      March 2, 2017 6:26 AM MST

Thank you for your reply JakobA and Happy Thursday!  :)
      March 2, 2017 10:39 AM MST

i dont think that will ever be possible
      March 2, 2017 9:59 AM MST

I agree - I don't think it will ever be possible, still less desirable, but to scapegoat them would be dreadful.

The hypothesis, resulting in blaming the children for something they could not possibly have controlled, has awful, real-life precedents.

During the WW2 occupation of Norway by the Nazis, many children were born to Norwegian women by German soldiers, in relationships encouraged by Adolf Hitler's bizarre racial ideas. (I think the scheme was called "lebensraum"?)  Even after the War had ended, many of these children were treated abominably as if to punish them for their own background.

In Britain during the 1940s-50s, thousands of children born in poverty or illegitimately, often both, were compulsorily emigrated to Canada and New Zealand as farm labourers. Most were treated very cruelly by their new "families". Many were told they were orphans - a downright lie- by those involved in the removal, including the Barnardo children's homes and church-run orphanages. This has been known quietly for decades but only just received full publicity.

Today's news announced the discovery of a mass grave in Ireland - I'm not sure if Ulster or Eire. The remains were all of babies and very young children, born illegitimately to young women rejected by society and, with little choice, taken in as fallen women by a callous convent. How and why the children died, back in the 1920s, may never be known fully, though most likely by sheer neglect, ignorance and incompetence, not deliberate murder; but the fact remains that they died at the hands of a bunch of God-fearing nuns. I doubt any of the individuals is still alive, but their "holy" order still exists.  Presumably they saw the infants as worthless and expendable, thanks to having sinned by choosing to have been conceived and born out of wedlock.  

So if a human being could be made by machine, as it were, how would he or she be regarded and treated by society at large?
      March 3, 2017 2:05 PM MST

What really bugs me is those Canadian mass graves of children that have been found. It cant have been gradual deaths over a long time, imagine opening up a mass grave to put in another body :(. They must have died together or at nearly the same time.
      March 3, 2017 6:34 PM MST

Sometimes when people believe such things, I think they are high on something. Not you though Rosie. You're cool.
      March 3, 2017 2:08 PM MST