Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Shopping » On line shopping is cutting into normal retail markets.

On line shopping is cutting into normal retail markets.

What commodities would you be willing to buy on line? Which ones would you refuse to buy without first examining them? 

Posted - March 2, 2017

Responses

Anything you wear on your feet that you have to walk or run in......they need to fit correctly and be comfy to walk in 
      March 2, 2017 5:23 PM MST

• Ouch! On line shoes? I didn't think of those. But, yeah, clothing sizes are notoriously unreliable. I'd like to try, or at least see them befoe buying. 
      March 2, 2017 5:30 PM MST

I don't by shoes or clothing on line.....I like nothing better than to nose around expensive shops when the sales are on........I have a good eye for bargains ....lol
      March 2, 2017 5:36 PM MST

• I've got this picture of you, sleeves rolled up, punching your way through a crowd of eager shoppers to get to the good stuff. :) 
      March 2, 2017 5:50 PM MST

I'm only little at 5'2" and quite petite so have to stomp on their toes with my high heels.....they soon move away from all the good stuff.....Hehe
      March 2, 2017 5:53 PM MST

let's see...
    shoes, jackets, Levis
    computers,
    tools and gadgets,
    juicers etc and etc
    most everything don't you know, 
    that I have bought online. This post was edited by Baba at March 2, 2017 6:10 PM MST
      March 2, 2017 5:25 PM MST

• You're a braver man than I, Baba. Have you been satisfied with the results? 
      March 2, 2017 5:31 PM MST

just a pair of shoes 
    I ordered the wrong size, too wide.
    Zappos would have taken them back
    but will see if I can get thicker socks.
    Have bought probably a half dozen
    pairs from Zappos. All excellent.
    ... The computer that i am on now,
    bought online
    from OWC and it was a used iMac 
    perfect......
      March 2, 2017 5:36 PM MST

• I buy piles of stuff online but not clothes or shoes! Books? Oh yeah! Bought my Water-Pik online too. Lot's of stuff.
      March 2, 2017 5:32 PM MST

• I've bought books and software on line, and some pharmaceuticals that my local store could no longer supply. THAT was convenient. I'm a bit leary about things like clothing and foodstuffs, though. (A lot of our stores take order on line and deliver. I guess yours do the same. I really want to see what I'm gonna eat before I pay for it.)
      March 2, 2017 5:35 PM MST

• I always go shopping for food stuff, never online. I want to see and feel clothes and try shoes on first.
      March 2, 2017 5:38 PM MST

• I buy lotsa stuff online! I will buy clothes, but only from a certain retailer. I buy my Dansko work shoes online, books, music, pots and pans, my tv stand, bed frame, I won't buy food or a mattress online!
      March 2, 2017 5:43 PM MST

• It pays to be selective, doesn't it? 
      March 2, 2017 5:47 PM MST

• So far .....

Computer hardware, software and accessories
    Dvd movies and storage
    CD music
    ................ that's about it.
      March 2, 2017 6:02 PM MST

• I buy my casual clothes online because I know which brands fit me in certain sizes. I've been buying the exact same sneaker online for about 7-8 years now as well as my computers, TVs, cookware, sheets, towels, just about everything except food.
      March 2, 2017 6:12 PM MST

• I could probably buy sneakers on line, too. Their sizing is pretty good.
      March 2, 2017 8:12 PM MST

• Many years ago I bought a pair in a brick and mortar store. They fit perfect and I've been ordering the same sneaker online in the same size for quite a few years now.
      March 2, 2017 9:05 PM MST

• I buy  a lot of books and music online.  I have also purchased several quality ocarinas and penny whistles. 
      March 2, 2017 6:16 PM MST

• Now those are unusual purchases and, clearly, the reason for your name. 
      March 2, 2017 8:13 PM MST

• Yes. You have seen the truth!
      March 2, 2017 9:39 PM MST

I am a regular at amazon.com. I buy most everything, even cat food (64 pounds a month). But I need a kitchen timer now and I will not buy one until I see the size of the sound hole on back and verify that it only counts down a single event and is not a clock and has a magnet on the back and the numbers are large enough to suit me. Amazon has like 200 pages of kitchen timers and some of them make me wonder wtf the makers thought they were doing.

I think I mentioned once before that I spent two and a half years trying to get straight information on water filters. It was amazon.com that finally led me to a dealer that told me what I needed to know about their product, so now I have a water filter and I can wash a car without leaving hard water spots all over it.

I love to find a scratch 'n' dent grocery store. That is where I find some of the most wonderful surprises. Like roasted pepper soup, or Borden's Egg Nog. Or beans at fifty cents a pound because they have small holes in the bags. That isn't any worse than the big grocery store where they have beans in a bin, without bags, at three times that price.
      March 2, 2017 10:31 PM MST