Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » How come "otherkin" are always wolves, lions, vampires, and dragons, etc.? Never hear of earhtwormkin or potatoebugkin. No cockroachkin

How come "otherkin" are always wolves, lions, vampires, and dragons, etc.? Never hear of earhtwormkin or potatoebugkin. No cockroachkin

#bullcrap

Posted - March 3, 2017

Responses

• By and large, you're right. But only by and large. 

My friend Chris (known to the ask.com community as both Waldorff and John o Gaunt) wrote a book in which is "other kin" was a dung beetle. The book, written as a joke, was called Aengus Amused, is no longer available but he has since written a couple of others (the second was published over a year ago and he's working on the third) which you can see at http://www.chrisdews.com.
      March 3, 2017 4:08 PM MST

• He trumped me with dungbeetle.   That's a good one.
      March 3, 2017 4:18 PM MST

• And where the nematode-kin and the naked mole rat-kin? I call shenanigans. 
      March 3, 2017 4:09 PM MST

• heartwormkin
      March 3, 2017 4:19 PM MST

They wish they were cool so they always choose cool animals. This post was edited by Patchouli at March 3, 2017 6:28 PM MST
      March 3, 2017 6:27 PM MST

Ive read a SF novel where the other-kin were 10 foot bugs. Also there was a movie where it was giant ants. They usually make the mistake of 'scaling up' the abilities of the original animal in linear proportion to its size (eg: "A 6 foot ant can lift a family car"). 1 no it cant (it would get squashed under the weight). 2 family cars save on weighty materials to keep the price down, a small racing car is a lot heavier than a big Chevy :)
      March 3, 2017 7:20 PM MST

Once upon a time there was a duel between magicians. One turned himself into an incurable disease and the other caught him.
      March 3, 2017 7:21 PM MST