Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Arts » All you artists out there....how do you react to comments/critiques of your work? Do you accept it or do you put the other peron on blast?

All you artists out there....how do you react to comments/critiques of your work? Do you accept it or do you put the other peron on blast?

A good friend, whom I have always supported bigtime, did a pop-up performance piece with a 3rd party last week.  I kinda thought it was a bit inappropriate for the locale (local grocery store and Wally world and another public retail store)  and when another individual echoed my thoughts and asked me to carry them to the artists...I hesitated.  After a lot of thought I asked what I had believed to be a good friend if she could be persuaded to reexamine the work with an eye towards it being pretty insensitive.  I got put on blast and virtually hung up on.

If someone approaches you and gives a cogent, thought out critique delivered without hostility or aggression...what would your response be to a good friend?  If the idea couldn't be discussed rationally with a friend....what about someone who is offended badly and approaches them in public?

What do you think?

Posted - March 3, 2017

Responses

• I'm not an artist but I've written quite a lot of articles for various magazines and newspapers, and even written a couple of books. I welcome constructive criticism and I've had tons of it. Other people will see things that my subconscious skims over. So, yeah, criticism is very useful. 

From the way your discussion reads you commented on her judgement and her taste rather than her art, and that's another area altogether. It teeters on the brink of insult. Personally, I wouldn't have gone there. 
      March 3, 2017 4:04 PM MST

Even if you saw your friend apparently targeting a marginalized group with out any clear message and it comes across as mocking them in public locations?  Doing the equivalency of Jewish blackface?
      March 3, 2017 4:27 PM MST

• I would not then have offered it as a critique but as a condemnation, which you apparently did. And you got the reaction that really should have been anticipated.
      March 3, 2017 4:29 PM MST

In no way did I make any value judgements, question her motivations or denigrate her or her intentions...however murky they might be.  I never raised my voice nor spoke in a hostile manner in any way.  She was not performing in any sort of venue...just going shopping in public 'in character'.  This is not a scripted piece.
      March 3, 2017 4:33 PM MST

• I might disagree with some passion but I wouldn't put it down or get angry. 

I've kinda been there before with artist and activist friends.  It's talking about their "baby"  I suppose and they get defensive. I don't fully understand it either Sugar.
      March 3, 2017 4:30 PM MST

Never raised my voice...made it clear I was relaying a message from another that the portrayal was not flattering to the group she portrayed during a time when with the cemetery desecration and synagogue vandalism might not be a good time for a public popup piece with a murky message.
      March 3, 2017 4:38 PM MST

• Sure, sure.  I've gotten the same kind of flack for the same thing but never got why.
      March 3, 2017 4:52 PM MST

I can't about other artists, but I do know that artists have different reactions to criticism. Some like good or bad criticism. It helps to know who likes your work and who doesn't. In fact, that is the reason there are so many styles of art. 

It always feels good if your your friends say they like your work. I can imagine why your friend felt hurt with your criticism. She probably felt you should have defended her work instead of siding with the other person. I understand this. In addition, I must tell you that many artists are very sensitive with their emotions. They feel things deeply. Art deals with a person's emotions, as well. It is expressing those emotions that makes the art communicate with others. 

However, I think that if you are going to be an artist, you have to prepare yourself to be criticized one way or the other. I think your friend will get over it. Give her time. Read the story about Picasso and Matisse. They criticized each other so much, that one day, they decided to become friends, and then, they continued to criticize each other without getting hurt. 
      March 3, 2017 5:13 PM MST

I understand, Marguerite...but in this case I could not, in good conscience defend her 'work'.  I never said this to her, but IMHO it looked more like a couple of 12 year old girls in a bid for attention.....nothing more.  Performance art is another way to convey a message...but there was no discernible message.

You see....I am also an artist.  A writer, in fact.  And I've had a LOT of criticism and rejection.  I get it.

March 3, 2017 6:03 PM MST

• I think as an artist you either blindly believe in what you are doing... And potentially starve, or you tailor your work to suit the audience... And get to eat.
    Having said that there is always the case of being ahead of the curve and merely waiting for everyone else to catch up, so to speak.
    One thing I do believe... If the artist can't justify the why and the what of the art, then it's probably just ego ...
      March 3, 2017 9:16 PM MST