Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » History » What was happening in the world the year you were born?

What was happening in the world the year you were born?

Historical things have been happening throughout our lives -- some big, some small. What event/s marked the year of your birth?

Posted - March 4, 2017

Responses

Personally, I think the high point of the year was my arrival, but I would agree that it would be appropriate to at least mention the ending of WWII.
      March 4, 2017 2:23 PM MST

• Well, everybody knows about WWII ending, Tom. But your birth? That was special. :)
      March 4, 2017 2:43 PM MST

Oh, well done, Didge.
      March 4, 2017 4:45 PM MST

Have a look for yourself:

http://www.infoplease.com/year/1969.html
      March 4, 2017 2:45 PM MST

End of WWII in May,  I was born in October. 
      March 4, 2017 2:49 PM MST

• It's far better to be born in peacetime. Nicely done! 
      March 4, 2017 8:11 PM MST

• The main event of the month I was born, December 1991, was the dissolution of the Soviet Union (it was officially dissolved 2 days after I was born). It was a major turning point in history. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 4, 2017 8:19 PM MST
      March 4, 2017 3:06 PM MST

• Yes it was. Well said, Nevan. 
      March 4, 2017 8:11 PM MST

• Babe Ruth died.

March 4, 2017 7:32 PM MST

• An amazing player and one of the legends of the game. His fame extended far beyond the US. 
      March 4, 2017 8:12 PM MST

• What happened in 1961 Major News Stories include Yuri Gagarin is the first human in space, Alan Shepard makes first US Space Flight, Peace Corps is established by John F. Kennedy, Construction of the Berlin Wall begins, IBM introduces Golf Ball Typewriter, "Freedom Riders" test the United States Supreme Court decision, Pampers the first disposable diaper introduced, US Cuban Exiles and CIA mount unsuccessful attempt to overthrow Castro known as the Bay of Pigs, UN General Assembly condemns Apartheid,
      March 4, 2017 8:19 PM MST

The Treaty of Maastricht which created the European Union became effective on 1 November 1993.

March 4, 2017 9:06 PM MST

By my calculation, my folks had a very good time ringing in the new year.
      March 4, 2017 9:20 PM MST

• Iraq invaded Kuwait & the Gulf war began, the extrawdinary Nelson Mandela was released from prison in South Africa after 27 years of incarceration, & most importantly.... I was born. :-)  
      March 4, 2017 9:25 PM MST

Major News Stories include US Enters Vietnam War, The IRA starts it's fight against the British, John F Kennedy wins presidential Election , Chubby Chequer and The twist start a new dance craze, Soviet missile shoots down the US U2 spy plane, Aluminium Cans used for the first time, The US announces 3,500 American soldiers are going to be sent to Vietnam, Xerox introduces the first photocopier, Fidel Castro nationalises American Oil, sugar and other US interests in Cuba, OPEC ( Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries ) is formed. The first televised U.S. Presidential debate takes place between Kennedy and Nixon. Following major food shortages in East Germany 160,000 refugees cross to West Germany, Nikita Khrushchev orders the construction of the Berlin Wall. Chile subduction fault ruptures from Talcahuano to Peninsula de Taitao, loosing a tsunami and one games of the greatest earthquakes on record. The Worlds First Female Prime Minister Is Elected Mrs Sirimavo Bandaranaike Ceylon / Sri Lanka. In Louisville, Kentucky, Cassius Clay (who later took the name Muhammad Ali) wins his first professional fight after having won the Gold Medal in Rome in the Olympic. Now, what year was I born in?
      March 8, 2017 8:09 AM MST

i have no idea, i was just a baby then
      March 9, 2017 3:43 PM MST

I believe russian dictator Joseph stalin died. The year was 1953.
      April 1, 2017 11:20 PM MDT