Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Slartibartfast
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » History » Based on your grasp of history, if you could go back to experience one period of the past which would it be?

Based on your grasp of history, if you could go back to experience one period of the past which would it be?

And why? 

Posted - March 4, 2017

Responses

I'd say early 70's cause I'd love to see the birth of the gaming industry, I think it'd be an amazing feeling going to the arcades or trying out an atari 2600 for the first time not knowing the potential that it could have..
      March 4, 2017 7:50 PM MST

• I was there, Pong was pretty tame stuff. Then Space Invaders, PacMan, Asteroids, get your quarters ready...
      March 4, 2017 8:38 PM MST

• Don't forget Donkey Kong!! 
      March 4, 2017 8:40 PM MST

• Call me lost, but give me a good  pinball machine with all the spinners, multi-ball and side flippers. 
      March 4, 2017 8:50 PM MST

• I spent many an hour back in the 70's playing the pinball machines. :) Flash was my favorite. 
    Image result for flash pinball machine
      March 5, 2017 7:58 AM MST

• Love 'em. 
      March 5, 2017 8:00 AM MST

• I had a friend who used to work for a company that worked on and repaired pinball machines. There were many a night he would take me to the shop and let me play as long as I wanted to. He'd set the machine to free play and then go and work on whatever needed fixing. I was in Heaven. :)
      March 5, 2017 8:10 AM MST

• The Renaissance, particularly in Italy, would be amazing, but I think I'd really have wanted to be standing on the shore of Plymouth Harbour in 1620 when the Mayflower dropped anchor. It's almost impossible to imagine the mixture of excitement, optimism, and even fear that would have gripped those people as they set foot in the New World.

There were other great events, of course, but that had to be one of the most exciting.
      March 4, 2017 8:31 PM MST

• Good choices. So much going on, baby steps from the dark ages. I think there would arise a greater appreciation of how far we've come since those times. 
      March 4, 2017 8:46 PM MST

• Ancient Egypt. I would love to see exactly how the pyramids were built. 
      March 4, 2017 8:41 PM MST

• And don't forget Stonehenge. 
      March 4, 2017 8:57 PM MST

• Yeah, that too. There are just too many times to choose from, I spun the wheel, and Egypt was picked. :)
      March 5, 2017 7:55 AM MST

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-KUbflnMEs This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 5, 2017 8:38 AM MST
      March 4, 2017 9:01 PM MST

• It says: This video does not exist. :(
      March 5, 2017 7:56 AM MST

• Fixed it
      March 5, 2017 8:38 AM MST

•   March 5, 2017 8:40 AM MST

• Dear Zee,
    I might choose the temple at Karnak, ancient Egypt...once the largest sacred centre in all the ancient world, covering almost 200 acres.

As you know I am interested in our human potential (whether inside or outside of religion)...and this place, at this time, is supposed to be really something. The foundation date is 3,700 BC, although most of the complex was assembled around 1,700 BC.
    http://www.ancient-wisdom.com/egyptkarnak.htm
    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 5, 2017 7:28 AM MST
      March 4, 2017 9:47 PM MST

About 12,000 years ago there was a population of about two million people in the Indus Valley and they had no war, no preparation at all for defense. They spent their days tending gardens, painting pots, and playing flutes. One day they all got up and went away, and the world has had continuous war ever since. I really would like to see what that lifestyle was like.

The site is only partly studied because it is in a war zone.
      March 4, 2017 10:16 PM MST

• THAT is fascinating. If you ever acquire further knowledge, please post!
      March 4, 2017 11:12 PM MST

March 6, 2017 4:59 AM MST

• I'd have to say my usual answer to this as this period of time fascinates me. The Roaring 20's! Da booze, broads and gambling! The great clothes! Would have loved to experience it!

March 5, 2017 7:31 AM MST

• Da booze was underground, with prohibition, but I gotta think that whole taboo aspect would have made it cool. Love the architecture from that period. 
      March 5, 2017 8:03 AM MST

• As do I!
      March 5, 2017 8:11 AM MST

• I'd like to go back to the 1890's and witness a  bare knuckle boxing match for the world's championship. It's hard to believe that guys could have that kind of endurance and fortitude, but obviously they did.
      March 5, 2017 11:24 AM MST