Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What, given your preference, world or societal issue would you place the most priority on? What suggestions could you offer to remedy it?

What, given your preference, world or societal issue would you place the most priority on? What suggestions could you offer to remedy it?

Posted - March 5, 2017

Responses

Environmental issues......man-assissted global warming, clean water, air pollution, clean energy.....

Nothing else matters if we cannot breathe the air or drink the water.  We are fools to believe anything has greater importance than this.  We steadfastly ignore the evidence of how this us already affecting us.....from the famine in the Sudan to the impact on our own maple syrup industry.  Global warming has become a recurrent topic in even our National Security Briefings due to it's impact world-wide.

We need to curb population growth and face the fact that the Western world's current lifestyle is unsustainable for the long run. That we may need to drive our cars less, wear  sweaters more, eat some bruised fruit, practice some self-control.  We need to realize that we cannot do what we please without consequence.

When I was in school we were taught about homeostasis.  When I asked the teacher if mankind would ever reach homeostasis she said no, that mankind was smart enough to see it approaching and alter our behaviours.  When food is short, wolves and other 'dumb animals' don't breed.  I wonder who really is the smarter...them or us?

March 5, 2017 8:02 AM MST

• Excellent observations. I posit that climate change gets shoved to the back burner because it isn't economically advantageous to commit to in the short run. Bad for business. Oil companies have powerful friends. The climate is but one aspect of the issues of what I call planetary viability. We are despoiling the waters and lands at an alarming pace. You mention the air. Even the space around the atmosphere.
    I agree with your points entirely. 
      March 5, 2017 8:17 AM MST

Hello Z:

That's more than I can take on in one post.  But, whatever the problem is, our founding documents were written to solve them..  They're the blue prints for building structures for fulfillment.. 

excon
      March 5, 2017 8:43 AM MST

• So you are saying we should look to The Constitution for ways to address all the problems of modern society? Overpopulation, radical Islam, nuclear proliferation, rising seas? Interesting....
      March 5, 2017 8:53 AM MST

Hello again, Z:

Sure..  Well, it doesn't apply everywhere, of course..  But, why not??? Whoda thunk the Constitution would be relevant in regards to gay marriage or Muslim bans??  But, it is.

excon
    This post was edited by excon at March 5, 2017 10:41 AM MST
      March 5, 2017 10:39 AM MST

• Certainly in terms of many things of a governmental nature, there is basis for consulting the Constitution for guidance. But there are issues beyond its purview. I think there are valid arguments to be made about how the foundational documents that underpin our societies, to include the Magna Carta, Scriptures, the Constitution, existing legal codes etc, are without current context in aspects of our evolving social landscape. 
    I would venture that, for example, overpopulation or depletion of groundwater don't have a reference in any of them. 
      March 5, 2017 11:17 AM MST

...for people, Finding the Absolute Truth
    within themselves. Finding the oneness
    that we are all a part of...imho
         Once achieved there would be world wide peace
    upon this Earth.
         Most prefer the ramblings of the Ego,
    and never let go of the illusion.
    Most live in separation and division,
    and will not let go of those thoughts that create
    walls between people. Ego is strong.
    Attachments confine and create brick walls around ones Ego,
    around ones understanding of what is Really Real, 
    and keep us locked into separation and confusion.
         Ego will say...NO NO not possible. I am me
    and that's all there is...
    But through Meditation
    one can step beyond the Ego
    and embrace/realize the Truth.

So there is my answer to your question
    and the remedy.
    cheers

March 5, 2017 9:03 AM MST

• You know I thought about not posting.this.but then I was like , I hope you don't take it offensively, but every time I hear that I wonder how that helps any to the millions of people living in poverty and hunger. If you can explain how that provides a tangible relief to any kind of real.suffering, believe me, I will convert today.
      March 5, 2017 11:04 AM MST

• In fairness, Lago, the question asked for personal opinion on one issue. I suspect Baba is if not a traditional Buddhist, at least a closet one. All comers welcome. 
      March 5, 2017 11:43 AM MST

• I don't understand what that means. Looks like you're taking issue with me asking B, a question. Do you think my question is a bad question or in any way confrontational? This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 5, 2017 11:55 AM MST
      March 5, 2017 11:49 AM MST

• No not at all. I think perhaps you misconstrued the point of Baba's response. He prioritizes finding truth over other issues as a personal view. No problem there. 
      March 5, 2017 12:07 PM MST

• I understand. Thanks.
      March 5, 2017 12:17 PM MST

No offense taken
    excellent question.
         If everyone knew the truth of who they are
    everyone would help all others.
    there would be no poverty
    no hunger. There would be an overflowing
    of understanding that we are all one being.
         Yes One Being,
    through which we have cut out a little piece of that oneness
    and have called it our own. It's mine, it's me.
    The Ego has plucked it and has created a separation from the oneness.
         But, when we realize that truth that we are one being
    and return to that oneness in our awareness
    our heart is filled with understanding
    and immediately does action for all
    knowing that all are one.
    Our compassion radiates for all.
         That is why Knowing this simple truth
    can change the world situation.

...you remember the one about
    the separate drop of water from the ocean,
    it is separate yes has a separate identity,
    but retains the all and everything as the ocean.
    and when returned to the ocean the separation is gone 
    and it is the ocean?

No converting necessary
    you are that truth.

March 5, 2017 11:54 AM MST

• I know Baba, 
    Im not saying that's wrong.
    But that's like saying, "if we didn't have bad people, we wouldn't need prisons"
    Which is true, but not very practical.
    Or me running away from a knife waving killer, and somebody next to me asking me if I have a minute to share the word of our Lord.
    Sort of like that.
    But I do understand your point B. Thank you for responding.
      March 5, 2017 12:24 PM MST

Where does social change
    that would end people being hungry.
    come from?
    a deeper awareness within the people.
    Practical?
    you betcha.

March 5, 2017 1:17 PM MST

• Hi Zee,

I would start with the idea that you are more effective when you are working for the right thing rather than against the wrong thing...although a fine line of definition here, of course...

World hunger is a big issue for me, although I have worked more in the area of recidivism, specifically women leaving prison after drug crimes.

Many years ago, I came to the idea that the very best thing one can do to help the world is to improve myself, along the lines of Baba's comment for you above. So that has actually taken the bulk of my efforts and attention...not always successfully, but...
      March 5, 2017 10:37 AM MST

• Perhaps we can reference the Michael Jackson tune, "Man in the Mirror". 

March 5, 2017 11:47 AM MST

• Zee!
    You asked for suggestions on the remedy...well something I already posted on Blurt, but here is how we could address world hunger, and it only takes eight days!
    What do you think, maybe it will happen?

March 5, 2017 11:55 AM MST

• I dont think there is any argument about misplaced priorities. There is also much to be said about the volume of wasted food. A recent study I found claims 31% of food in the US goes uneaten, that's 133 billion pounds. 6 billion of those pounds are produce that isn't pretty enough to sit on grocery shelves. It is astonishing. 
      March 5, 2017 12:03 PM MST

• Yes, I read a similar study...this one said even sometimes 40%, truly astonishing.
      March 5, 2017 12:04 PM MST

• That's sorta kinda my point there.
    Im not sure religion and self awareness would do this kid very much good as he digs for bread in the dirt.
      March 5, 2017 2:33 PM MST

• Poverty
      March 5, 2017 11:00 AM MST

What approach do you think we should take?
      March 5, 2017 11:03 AM MST

• Yes, Lago, the historically intractable sIde effect of ignorance. It has been said, and I feel bears repeating, that a primary method for mitigating poverty is the empowerment of women. If we look at where poverty manifests itself, we most often find cultures that repress the rights and value of women. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 5, 2017 1:05 PM MST
      March 5, 2017 11:56 AM MST