Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Finance » Has a bill collector ever tried to intimidate you?

Has a bill collector ever tried to intimidate you?

Posted - March 6, 2017

Responses

• Nope! Always pay my bills on time or before they're due. Never had any problems.
      March 6, 2017 3:03 PM MST

• Yes. I didn't even owe the bill!  Someone used my phone #.  They didn't believe I was not Rodney.

March 6, 2017 3:05 PM MST

•   March 6, 2017 3:38 PM MST

• Not in my adult life but I grew up relatively poor and I remember well that we had to close the curtains and keep very quiet and not answer the door when the debt collector called. and yea we were scared lying in the dark not making a sound til he went away
      March 6, 2017 3:39 PM MST

• I am so glad that laws and technology has changed much, here in the US at least. I was that person knocking ... Friday's were our day to chase over due accounts in the field. We used any intimidating tactics to get our monies owed. My days as a bill collector were short lived.   
      March 6, 2017 3:59 PM MST

They tried.....
      March 6, 2017 3:53 PM MST

Once upon a time, I was treasurer at an impecunious church and had to pay as many bills as possible at the last moment. I slipped up on the Rentokil one and got a Solicitor's letter for my pains. 

Eventually, I found an inaccuracy in their claim, and was able to hit back as good as I got. 

This post was edited by Malizz at March 7, 2017 5:17 AM MST
      March 6, 2017 4:03 PM MST

• Nah. Never happened.
      March 6, 2017 4:23 PM MST

• Dear Zack,
    Yes...but I thought I remembered that you cannot send goods through the mail unsolicited, and then demand payment.

I received a box of light bulbs, and I called them to say I had not ordered anything from them. Then the man had my phone number and started calling, harassing me for payment.
    He intimated with contempt that I was lying, and wanted me to pay return postage or pay up. He said that never in the history of his company had they EVER sent light bulbs to someone by mistake.

It was unpleasant.
    Strange you should ask this, that was 37 years ago and I just was thinking of it yesterday.

March 6, 2017 6:43 PM MST

My wife has been pursued for years by someone collecting for  magazine subscriptions owed. She was swindled into some $500 in subscriptions.  A real con job. 
      March 6, 2017 9:58 PM MST

not yet
      March 7, 2017 9:44 PM MST