Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Given the current situation in the Sudan, do you agree with the 4 month freeze on refugees?

Given the current situation in the Sudan, do you agree with the 4 month freeze on refugees?

Over 100 people have died of starvation in just 2 days, with millions staring starvation in the eye.  In a land of plenty.....can we still claim the high road and ignore this level of need?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/20/africa/south-sudan-famine/

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/02/south-sudan-famine-eating-water-lilies-survive-170228050621672.html

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stories/2017/02/28/tens-of-thousands-flee-south-sudan-famine.html

Posted - March 6, 2017

Responses

• Yes we should and I believe we are .. it will probably be too little too late though...
      March 6, 2017 5:07 PM MST

Our current administration will not be responding in anything approaching a generous manner. In view of the $50B+ increase in the military budget the foreign aid budget is to be seriously cut.  How much aid do you think we will be sending to a country our leadership deems as 'dangerous'?

March 6, 2017 5:11 PM MST

this is so sad
         A Real Humanitarian crises....
    this should never happen.
    There is more than enough food 
    to feed all people upon the Earth.
    (I used to hear that were warehouses
    full of food in the US that were just kept locked up
    and let spoil rather than releasing the food
    Government control of the market with that
    was always told.)
         There is more than enough knowledge
    to share with all people so that they can develop what they need
    for a sustainable life.
         I see a world need for sharing
    instead of wasting. I know there are organizations
    that are achieving these ideals in small ways, and I 
    give them props for their service to humanity...
         Meanwhile our new leader favors me me me ideology.
    ...just my opinion... This post was edited by Baba at March 7, 2017 8:36 PM MST
      March 6, 2017 5:36 PM MST

Namaste, Baba
      March 6, 2017 5:45 PM MST

Namaste
      March 6, 2017 5:47 PM MST

• 1 in 8 people worldwide don't get enough to eat, daily.
    • The number of hungry people in the world exceeds the population of the U.S., Canada and the European Union combined.
    • 34 million children suffer from severe acute malnutrition, a preventable and treatable disease.
    • About 1 million children die EACH YEAR from hunger related causes.
    • A leading cause for malnutrition in children under 5 years old is diarrheal disease caused by unsafe water and sanitation.
    • 1 in 6 children in developing nations is underweight.
    • Hunger kills more people each year than AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis combined.
    • More than 60% of the world’s hungry are women and girls.
    • 1 in 4 children in developing nations is growth stunted.
    • Etc, etc, etc.
    These facts are from Action Against Hunger.

Facts and figures such as these make me ashamed to be a human being. The worlds resources could easily prevent the starvation and the malnutrition of ALL of these children. We would rather spend our billions on new and improved ways to kill each other through war. We also would rather wear $250 sneakers, pay thousands of pro athletes millions upon millions of dollars, watch the world safely on our 60 inch flat screens in the comfort of our safe and secure homes..................and on and on.

Immigration will only make a small dent in saving the children of the world. The only way to help these kids and their families is to come together as a whole and DO SOMETHING, but I don't EVER expect to see that.

March 6, 2017 6:20 PM MST

March 6, 2017 7:51 PM MST

• Thanks Sugar.
      March 6, 2017 7:52 PM MST

We need God's heavenly kingdom to intervene more than ever. Our woes here on earth are more than human governments can handle. Psalms 72:11-14,16 says: "all the kings will bow down before him. And all the nations will serve him. For he will rescue the poor who cry for help, also the lowly one and whoever has no helper. He will have pity on the lowly and the poor, and the lives of the poor he will save. From oppression and from violence he will rescue them, and their blood will be precious in his eyes.  There will be an abundance of grain on the earth; on the top of the mountains it will overflow." This post was edited by Autumnleaves at March 7, 2017 11:03 PM MST
      March 7, 2017 6:48 PM MST

i think they should let people immigrate as long as theyre not dangerous
      March 7, 2017 9:40 PM MST