Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Do you prefer books or e-Readers?

Do you prefer books or e-Readers?

Somebody quipped that the meal is the same even though it's served on a different type of plate. Have you, or would you make the switch? 

Posted - March 6, 2017

Responses

• I'm an avid reader... While I like the dead tree variety, a tablet fur me is the better option due to size and weight and the abilities of brings for copying seemed bits and bookmarking and cheapness and variety ... If you think about the resources required in making shipping and storingng paper books compared to an electronic version
      March 6, 2017 4:44 PM MST

• My colonial oath, Ozgirl. (I can't say that to a Yank.) We've only recently started to make the switch but we love our eReaders. And, of course, they also allow access to the libraries' digital collections.
      March 6, 2017 4:45 PM MST

• I use an android tablet with an e reader app ... More useful still... Allows me to switch between here for example and reading a book without moving myr lazy bum :) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 6, 2017 6:24 PM MST
      March 6, 2017 4:52 PM MST

• You don't want more time to think this through?
      March 6, 2017 4:50 PM MST

• Good answer :)
      March 6, 2017 4:54 PM MST

• That sounds like the way I play chess. I never think in case it interferes with the flow of the game. 
      March 6, 2017 6:22 PM MST

You sure?
      March 6, 2017 8:45 PM MST

I was a real foot dragger over getting an ereader.  I love the feel of a new book, the resistance when it's cover is opened for the first time.  The smell of them.....

But hubs got me a Kindle, and I've never looked back.  We've donated (literally) tons of books to hospitals for patients/familes use.  As I've found the digital version I've passed on the analog version to someone else.  One hard drive contains hundreds of thousands of volumes....an amazing savings of room and dust.  My computer runs a freeware program - Caliber - which manages the whole deal for me!!!

March 6, 2017 5:00 PM MST

• We were reluctant to make the change, too. Only had our eReaders for a few months but we prefer them nowl 
      March 6, 2017 6:23 PM MST

I like to write in my books
    you know, notes,
    reminders, stuff like that,
    underline stuff...I USE my books. haha This post was edited by Baba at March 7, 2017 6:59 AM MST
      March 6, 2017 5:11 PM MST

My Kindle allows me to underline and make notes.....jus' sayin'   ;)
      March 6, 2017 5:17 PM MST

that's definitely cool
      March 6, 2017 5:46 PM MST

• Very useful. But then, I can write and make notes on my Kobo, too. And I can erase them if I no longer need them. :)
      March 6, 2017 6:24 PM MST

and you can see the notes on or in-between text
    or lines of text? just like I could write it on the page?
      March 6, 2017 6:45 PM MST

• Apparently so. I haven't used the function myself but I noticed, in reading the manual, that it was available. 
      March 6, 2017 8:01 PM MST

A hacker's treasure book of notes?
      March 6, 2017 8:46 PM MST

• Nothing beats the feel of a good book in your hands! I'm old fashioned and just like the feel of a book!
    What if people could communicate with Dolphins and other animals with a super computer? 

March 6, 2017 5:48 PM MST

• I resisted for a long time, Rooster. I have a few VERY old books -- 19th century -- nice bindings. They're a pleasure to hold and read.
      March 6, 2017 6:26 PM MST

I feel the same way.  I'm old fashioned enough to enjoy turning the pages.  I got an e-reader from one of my sisters for Christmas two years ago and I sold it unopened last year.  By the time the life of a book that I've read is over, perhaps 20 people have had the joy of reading it.  You can't do that with most e-readers.
      March 6, 2017 6:32 PM MST

The animals would not have much to say other than stop killing and eating us.
      March 6, 2017 8:47 PM MST

I prefer books. It's mostly the smell..
      March 6, 2017 6:43 PM MST

• Thanks, Patch. 
      March 6, 2017 9:17 PM MST

• I've tried e-books multiple times, but every time I read one, I always wish I had a physical copy, and in some cases, I've just gone and bought a physical copy. I will always prefer real books. 
      March 6, 2017 6:44 PM MST

Real books give you a real sense of how much you have read and how much you still have to go.
      March 6, 2017 8:49 PM MST