Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is Ben Carson for real? He spoke of "immigrants" coming here in the bottom of slave ships. "IMMIGRANTS"? Is he really that ignorant?

Is Ben Carson for real? He spoke of "immigrants" coming here in the bottom of slave ships. "IMMIGRANTS"? Is he really that ignorant?

He knows nothing about conscriptions and slave ships? These people were not willingly going to a new land for a better life. They were taken/hijacked and put in chains. They were SLAVES not immigrants. How can a supposedly "brilliant" anyone with a top-notch education not know that? Spin? Ignorance? What in the he** was he talking about and to whom? Anyone have a clue?

"Conscript"

To COMPEL into service.

Posted - March 7, 2017

Responses

It probably is spin and a poor, distasteful attempt to again say we are all immigrants or are descended from them.
      March 7, 2017 7:18 AM MST

The context was absurd/shocking/stunning O. Did you happen to see/hear him? It was shameful and embarrassing. He excused it/justified it. SIGH. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday! ;)
      March 10, 2017 5:48 AM MST

Happy Friday to you, Rosie :)
      March 10, 2017 6:51 AM MST

sounds like he is
      March 7, 2017 2:50 PM MST

"... So life in America was not always easy.  It wasn’t always easy for new immigrants.  Certainly it wasn’t easy for those of African heritage who had not come here voluntarily, and yet in their own way were immigrants themselves.  There was discrimination and hardship and poverty.  But, like you, they no doubt found inspiration in all those who had come before them.  And they were able to muster faith that, here in America, they might build a better life and give their children something more. "

Sec Carson is not the first to refer to slaves as immigrants.
    Pres Barack Obama also called them immigrants.

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/the-press-office/2015/12/15/remarks-president-naturalization-ceremony
      March 8, 2017 5:52 AM MST

When Conservatives say the same thing a Liberal does it all of a sudden becomes insensitive because don't you know Conservatives are evil and ignorant of history? This post was edited by O-uknow at March 8, 2017 10:14 PM MST
      March 8, 2017 6:59 AM MST

Yep that is how it works. This post was edited by my2cents at March 8, 2017 10:14 PM MST
      March 8, 2017 8:27 AM MST

*Sigh*
      March 8, 2017 8:56 AM MST

• Yes exactly. I agree completely with you.
      March 8, 2017 9:41 AM MST

• Yes and it was pretty stupid when he did it too.
      March 8, 2017 9:40 AM MST

At least you are being constistant. 
      March 8, 2017 1:27 PM MST

• At least.
      March 8, 2017 4:18 PM MST

Touche m2c. I did not know that. He does speak of them coming here unwillingly. However I think he was as wrong to do that then as Carson was wrong to say that now. In my  opinion. That's all I have. My opinion. Hijacking/taking as captives human beings away from their homes unwillingly, all African American, keeping them shackled and forcing them to work for whomever pays the most money for them is not what I think of as an "immigrant".  That may fit your idea but it does not  fit mine. So I asked the question to see if others are as appalled as I am. Some are. Of course you are not  You NEVER fail to defend and bring up contras as if that makes it okay. It does not. If you noticed I am not DEFENDING the Obama crap but you defend the Carson crap. You always defend no matter how egregious the issue. I don't like crap from Dems any more than I like it from Republicans. Just in case you think otherwise. You would be very wrong. Thank you for your reply. This post was edited by RosieG at March 10, 2017 6:02 AM MST
      March 10, 2017 5:59 AM MST

It is not the word I would choose but it is accurate. The word voluntarily is not in the definition.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/immigrant

a
    :  a person who comes to a country to take up permanent residence
    b
    :  a plant or animal that becomes established in an area where it was previously unknown
    ----------------

When I point out the that the other side also does something. I may or may not agree with it. I am just simply pointing out the hypocrisy. I neither defended nor criticized.
      March 15, 2017 3:04 PM MDT

C'mon m2c! I'm stupid! You bring it up to shut me up! You do it every time.  You are not an innocent party here. You keep promulgating your side and attacking mine every chance you get. You may convince others of the purity of your intent but I'm not buying it. Just FOR ONCE I would like to see you admit that your side screwed up WITHOUT ignoring that completely as you ALWAYS DO and pointing out that my side screwed up too. Just once! But you won't do that because to you nothing  your side is ever wrong and nothing my side does is ever right. Sadly. Thank you for your reply. I think you really believe you neither defend nor criticize don't you? You really do think you are on the side of the angels here. Don't you?

March 16, 2017 5:12 AM MDT

Hi Rosie:

By definition, an immigrant is a person who comes to live in a foreign country. So slaves actually were immigrants, Carson is anything but ignorant, and your umbrage is misplaced in this case.

IMHO, there are plenty of things in life to worry about without getting caught up in semantics. Happy Wednesday!
      March 8, 2017 8:56 AM MST

• Like you're doing?
      March 8, 2017 9:35 AM MST

No. I was just explaining why Rosie's whole question was all about getting caught up in semantics.
      March 8, 2017 10:33 AM MST

I disagree with thee StuB emphatically and completely and wholeheartedly! My understanding of "immigrant" is someone who willingly CHOOSES to come here for a better life. He/she has autonomy and is not OWNED by anyone.  You choose to defend. I choose to disagree. Different strokes. Slaves were property. They were owned by white humans as any other chattel.  They did not have autonomy. They did not have any rights to seek a better life. They lived the life they were forced to live by their masters. Immigrant my a  **!   The third definition in the dictionary under CHATTEL is SLAVE. So we disagree. It isn't the first time nor will it be the last time. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday.
      March 10, 2017 6:12 AM MST

This once prominent pediatric neurosurgeon seems to have lost his mind.
      March 8, 2017 9:37 AM MST

((hugs)) He is in so far over his head as chief of HUD. I kinda feel sorry for him. His best bet is to keep quiet and say nothing. I wonder if he has anyone who loves him enough to tell him that? Thank you for your reply Zack!  :)
      March 10, 2017 6:20 AM MST

• I used to think these people were just ignorant gullible fools. But you can't be not intelligent and be able to stretch reality and be able to spin this nonsense so it makes sense. And a black man!
    Saying slaves were immigrants is like saying that those girls the get taken and sexually trafficked are ...you know. . . Immigrants. 
    Eeediots!

March 8, 2017 9:47 AM MST

If they are taken across the border and stay...then yes they are immigrants.
      March 8, 2017 1:30 PM MST

• If you truly believe in your heart. If you truly, honestly believe that a slave, or a sex traffic victim, are just immigrants, then there's is really no intelligent argument I can use to make you see how wrong that is.
      March 8, 2017 4:21 PM MST