Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Hypothetical: Due to the lack of prison space, there is thought on bringing back more "Medieval" punishments.

Hypothetical: Due to the lack of prison space, there is thought on bringing back more "Medieval" punishments.

What are your feelings on this idea, and what suggestions would you support, if any?

Posted - March 7, 2017

Responses

Heck no!  Most of your prisons are overcrowded with people that are there for minor offenses involving drug addiction and/or mental illness.  Of course they need to be held accountable for their crime, but if it's non violent, get them long term treatment and community service.  Our prison system is a joke.

Violent criminals should be locked away with no favoritism of someone that can afford a good lawyer to plead down the charges.  
      March 7, 2017 4:09 PM MST

Medieval punishment was torturous? No? As a rule I don't believe in torture unless you are a pedophile, animal abuser or anyone who abuses, exploits or profits from women, children, or animals. 
    I've been studying the prison systems of countries like Germany. I find it very fascinating, and wonder if they are on to something. 
      March 7, 2017 4:20 PM MST

I do have to agree that there are certain crimes that DO deserve pain.

We are still too weak on many of the crimes you list above.
      March 7, 2017 4:23 PM MST

• So, in certain cases, you arent adverse to the idea? I have always thought a day or two in the stocks or a good caning weren't beyond fair. No thumbscrews or iron maidens in my suggestion box. 
      March 7, 2017 4:31 PM MST

I agree. What?  No Iron Maiden? Come on! Let's dust all those contraptions off. I have a question, Has torture worked? I mean in the long run, as far as the all around health of those who live in a society who believes in torture. Are their visions met? I haven't really looked into that side of that. 
      March 7, 2017 4:44 PM MST

• I think history shows that the problem with torture is that it was abused (I know, a pun) by authorities. Its a slippery slope. That said, you and I are of similar opinion in general. 
      March 7, 2017 5:01 PM MST

Would like your thoughts sometime in regards to other penal systems like Germany. 
      March 7, 2017 5:30 PM MST

• Let me do some research on that. I'm intrigued....
      March 7, 2017 6:15 PM MST

Okay. We can revisit this subject in the future. Maybe post a question about it. 
      March 7, 2017 6:53 PM MST

• Sure, we could turn punishment into entertainment and raise some revenue. I'm sure plenty of people would turn up to watch a convicted murder hanged, drawn and quartered.

The guillotine isn't really medieval, of course, but a wonderful spectacle. You'd get capacity crowds for every event. 

Paedophiles could fight to the death in an arena in front of cheering crowds after offering President Trump their "We who are about to die salute you."

But those arenas should never be used to sacrifice Christians to wild beasts. It's just not economical. The lions would eat all the prophets.
      March 7, 2017 4:25 PM MST

• Talk about deterring crime...
    There could be a dedicated cable channel, would wipe MMA off the map. 
      March 7, 2017 4:35 PM MST

• I hadn't thought of that. We should put you in charge of marketing.
      March 7, 2017 4:39 PM MST

i think its kind of mean to do that
      March 7, 2017 4:47 PM MST

• Put yourself in the place of a victims family, Pearl. 
      March 7, 2017 5:03 PM MST

I agree.  A tortuous rape and murder of a child would make me have no mercy.
      March 7, 2017 5:18 PM MST

• How about instead we stop locking people up for smoking weed?
      March 8, 2017 12:13 AM MST