Active Now

my2cents
Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Music » Are you brave enough to listen to this song?

Are you brave enough to listen to this song?

'Gloomy Sunday' was written in 1933 by two Hungarians: Rezso Seress (music) and Laszlo Javor (lyrics). The song supposedly drew little (adverse) attention until 1936, when it began to be connected with a rash of suicides in Hungary and was allegedly banned there. American musicians and singers soon jumped at the chance to record instrumental and translated versions of the “Hungarian suicide song,” and by the end of 1936 several recordings were available to American audiences. Probably the best discussion of the song and its impact comes is Steven Stacks paper "Gloomy Sunday: did the 'Hungarian suicide song' really create a suicide epidemic?," which appeared in Omega: The Journal of Death and Dying in 2008.

I WARN YOU - LISTEN AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!

Posted - March 7, 2017

Responses

Definitely spooky - gloomy, maudlin, mournful. Not hard to see that the highly suggestible may have a bad reaction to the song if aware beforehand its "suicide" aspect.

Those Hungarians are a gloomy lot. I'm Irish descent and we prefer whimsy to gloomy. Banshees, not vampires. 

I'll let you know tomorrow if I committed suicide. 

March 7, 2017 7:42 PM MST

Keep your spirits up, Louie!  Don't go and do anything rash tonite! 
      March 7, 2017 8:22 PM MST

Yes
      March 7, 2017 11:12 PM MST

Weird piece. Here is the antidote:

March 8, 2017 6:36 AM MST

If you need more, go for this one:

March 8, 2017 6:40 AM MST

Billie Holiday's version is well known to me.
      March 8, 2017 6:48 AM MST