Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » Do you know how apostrophes' apostrophes are properly placed, or an apostrophe's apostrophe?

Do you know how apostrophes' apostrophes are properly placed, or an apostrophe's apostrophe?

~

Posted - March 8, 2017

Responses

• Yes.
      March 8, 2017 3:43 AM MST

• After the ownership!
      March 8, 2017 3:49 AM MST

Rule's are made to be broken.
      March 8, 2017 4:14 AM MST

• Whats that you say? 
      March 8, 2017 4:22 AM MST

Grrrrrr!
    ~
      March 8, 2017 6:10 AM MST

Grrrrrr!
    ~
      March 8, 2017 6:09 AM MST

• Iconoclast.! ... :)
      March 8, 2017 11:21 AM MST

• O'f course I'do. Wh'y do you ev'en ask?
      March 8, 2017 4:53 AM MST

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
    ~
      March 8, 2017 6:10 AM MST

• Whut??
      March 9, 2017 3:13 AM MST

• The placement of apostrophes isn't a priority in my life. Besides, if I make an error I'm sure that you will correct me, which I appreciate. Just remember that I'm older than dirt and by the time I have to use an apostrophe again, I'll probably forget.
    Oh crap, what are we talking about again???
      March 8, 2017 6:19 AM MST

Hello Randy:

Postropy???  I do'nt need no stinkin postrophy!

excon
      March 8, 2017 6:48 AM MST

• It's about time we had a decent religious question on this site. Thank you for asking it. 

The twelve apostrophes were itinerant first-century groupies who followed Jesus about as he preached. They worked as ushers, taking up collections from the multitudes and hoping for a free meal of bread and fish.

Being uneducated they had never heard of apostrophes and, if they had, wouldn't have cared where they were placed. That is, of course, if the Hebrew alphabet actually uses apostrophes. 
      March 8, 2017 10:02 AM MST

• One thing that's always bothered me about that story... no one ever mentions cooking the fish or did the Hebrews invent sushi?
      March 8, 2017 11:23 AM MST

• Either that or they invented the BBQ.
      March 8, 2017 11:42 AM MST

yes, i know how to do that properly
      March 8, 2017 10:39 AM MST

Whuuuut? Not shure whut u mean? I know the first part of the question--that's a yes. The second? Lost. 
      March 8, 2017 11:11 AM MST

It's not always clear cut---

Rule 1c.
     Some writers and editors add only an apostrophe to all nouns ending in s. And some add an apostrophe + s to every proper noun, be it Hastings's or Jones's.

One method, common in newspapers and magazines, is to add an apostrophe + s ('s) to common nouns ending in s, but only a stand-alone apostrophe to proper nouns ending in s.

Examples:
    the class's hours
    Mr. Jones' golf clubs
    the canvas's size
    Texas' weather

Care must be taken to place the apostrophe outside the word in question. For instance, if talking about a pen belonging to Mr. Hastings, many people would wrongly write Mr. Hasting's pen (his name is not Mr. Hasting).

Correct: Mr. Hastings' pen

Another widely used technique is to write the word as we would speak it. For example, since most people saying "Mr. Hastings' pen" would not pronounce an added s, we would write Mr. Hastings' pen with no added s. But most people would pronounce an added s in "Jones's," so we'd write it as we say it: Mr. Jones's golf clubs. This method explains the punctuation of for goodness' sake.

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/apostro.asp
      March 8, 2017 1:32 PM MST