Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » How do people usually underestimate you? Do they eventually learn not to?

How do people usually underestimate you? Do they eventually learn not to?

What is something people usually or have in the past underestimated you on.
Did they eventually learn not to?
When was the last time you were underestimated?

Or is it the other way around for you?
Do people usually think that you are.capable of.more than you really are?

Posted - March 8, 2017

Responses

• The last person to underestimate me was right on this site and it was ... drum roll ... Randy D. 
    Randy thinks I can't spell. 
    I spell just fine, Randy.
    I can't type!

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 10, 2017 1:28 AM MST
      March 8, 2017 10:28 AM MST

• You'd never believe it but I had to edit it because I mistyped "can't". Fair dinkum! 
      March 8, 2017 10:30 AM MST

• That's funny Mr D. 

March 8, 2017 2:59 PM MST

• It's a bit of a problem just at present. I've had a mist over my good eye since January (can't read the big letter at the top of an eye chart) so I have trouble seeing the screen. When I mistype something it's hard for me to see it. (I deleted a major folder yesterday and emptied the recycle bin. Hadn't backed it up for four months. Stupid of me!)
      March 8, 2017 3:52 PM MST

• Well, Mr D, I think all that spellingness and grammartization is just just a lot about nothing. Anyway. 
    Hope your eye gets better, btw.
      March 8, 2017 3:59 PM MST

Very very smart. Yus.
      March 8, 2017 1:23 PM MST

:-)
      March 8, 2017 9:35 PM MST

Get a room you two. Wait...never mind. LOL
      March 9, 2017 9:39 AM MST

• Do people usually think you are  dumb because of your cute and slutty ... I don't know how to say it...behaviour? 
    I'll have to say that it was not until we had spoken a couple of times when I realizd that you were actually a very intelligent person.
    So. . . Yeah. . I'd say I was one of those that underestimated you.
      March 8, 2017 3:04 PM MST

• No, it had nothing to do with assuming that because some one is very sexual that implies him or her is dumb. 
    It has nothing to do with sex at all actually. 
    It's the silly behaviour that's associated with it by some, that even thiugh it  may be considered playful and cute by friends, (like I consider yours)for others that's a sign of adolescent carryon-ness.
    Im not saying that's what I think now, but that's what I thought then. Im not saying either that it is right. All im saying is that without knowing you, that was the.impression I had. 
    Again, it has nothing to do with sex.
      March 8, 2017 10:34 PM MST

• You know, WW? my assessment would be quite the opposite. Sexually expressive or highly sexualised people I tend to view as being more rounded in their thinking, more in touch with their surroundings (literally), more open-minded. So I therefore I equate that with a higher intelligence.
    Conversely, people who are uptight and rejecting of tactile, visceral responses I am generally distrustful of in regard to smartness. It's not somehing I could test scientifically - well maybe I could, I'm understimating myself - but it's a strong hypothesis.
      March 8, 2017 11:40 PM MST

Being considered "too nice" at times, I think I surprise people when I actually cut ties.  
      March 8, 2017 10:33 AM MST

• I know exactly what you mean. I think people sometimes mistake being nice with being weak. They underestimate our capacity to detach. Then they learn different.
    Good point, Peapod. Thanks .
      March 8, 2017 3:07 PM MST

I have a classic resting b*tch face. People are surprised that I am very kind and sweet. 
      March 8, 2017 10:39 AM MST

• That's a nice twist there, having their niceness underestimated. You know what I mean??
    And about the Resting B face thing, well...I learned something today! 
    I didn't know if you were making that up or what, so I looked it up. 
    And what do you know, it iS a thing!! 
      March 8, 2017 3:56 PM MST

Yeah, people expect me to be mean. When I'm not people seem to be relieved, so they warm up a bit. 
    Lol.... Glad you learned a new phrase, I rate this one up there with "hot mess". First time I heard both phrases, I couldn't stop giggling. 
      March 10, 2017 9:35 AM MST

• I've read that the face, the expression, you know? Is a mirror of our soul, and that's where that saying comes from,  th one when they say,  "your face is going to freeze that way!"
    How does that work? 
    Do you sport a . ..Hm. . One of those faces. . .on purpose or is it just the way it falls ?
    Do you know what I mean?
      March 10, 2017 10:27 AM MST

I do. In my experience its the eyes not the expression that is the mirrors to the soul. So, I wear sunglasses, including indoors. Because it is true for me. Nope a resting b face can't be on purpose. Otherwise its something else. Its my face at rest. It looks witchy with a b.  
      March 10, 2017 12:54 PM MST

• Do you feel safer behind sunglasses? 
    Is it a matter of looking into others eyes, or is it a matter of them looking into yours.
    I consider my glasses a first line of defense. I'd say I hide behind them.  Even when I wore contacts, I still wore "shades" most the time. I wonder if you wear them for the same reasons. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 10, 2017 1:47 PM MST
      March 10, 2017 1:11 PM MST

I do. My eyes are very expressive. Those close to me can gage many things looking in my eyes. I don't want people to see. Its not that I have anything to hide, its the vulnerability. I don't like feeling vulnerable. 
      March 10, 2017 1:51 PM MST

I've had a few experiences where people have been surprised as to who I am. Not bragging, but if you aren't out there in the limelight, people don't know anything about you. I had an experience at a job, where I wrote a letter to my boss, offering a suggestion on how to fix a problem. It started a new relationship, only a business one, where he was calling me to help with many more, exciting projects. His assistants kept asking me, "Where have you been?" I had been at that job for 4 years already. 
      March 8, 2017 10:43 AM MST

• Or have read your answer a couple of times now, and I have to admit that I don't fully get it.
    You mean that they underestimated who you were until they found out who you were?
      March 8, 2017 4:32 PM MST

My wife underestimates me all the time. Every day she realizes I am stupider than the previous day.
      March 8, 2017 10:44 AM MST

@Element, your wife must been a really smart woman to put up with you. You are a mess! But fun! 
      March 8, 2017 10:46 AM MST