Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Has going to church, being religious or spiritual actually made things more complicated for you?

Has going to church, being religious or spiritual actually made things more complicated for you?

Posted - March 9, 2017

Responses

Going to church and church functions was ok to help make a social life (United Church of Canada) but religion came to be the nuttiness part that I had to turn away from.

"Spirituality" can be beneficial when practiced by suitable methods. 

I think there may be some sort of supernatural force but I do not personify it as a God that should be worshipped and prayed to.
      March 9, 2017 1:10 PM MST

Maybe it's aliens.
      March 9, 2017 2:55 PM MST

"I do not personify it as a God that should be worshipped and prayed to" or held in awe in any other way?
      March 30, 2017 12:22 PM MDT

A great supernatural event of some sort would be awesome. 
      March 30, 2017 1:39 PM MDT

I was intrigued by your, "I think there may be some sort of supernatural force" However it seems that unless it can come up with "A great supernatural event of some sort" it will remain a rather mundane, quite feeble and completely non awe inspiring "sort of supernatural force" Less worthy of mention than a moderate force storm, I suppose.
      March 30, 2017 6:29 PM MDT

• Not doing any of those things has certainly made life more beautiful and rewarding. 
      March 9, 2017 2:50 PM MST

Religion or spirituality should make things LESS complicated. If they are making things MORE complicated, you're doing something wrong.

As Trappist monk Thomas Merton wrote, "If you've come all this way and find out it it's wrong, start over, brother. It's never too late."
      March 9, 2017 3:31 PM MST

Yes, it did. I was raised a Seventh Day Adventist. Because I was raised in the church everything was just there. I had to take off the whole religion cloak to find my own way. I had to undo years of indoctrination to figure out who I was and what I believe. 
      March 9, 2017 4:29 PM MST

My parents being religious and spiritual brought us up the same way. Religion doesn't necessarily mean going to a place of worship, greed has permeated everywhere and places of worship are also seeing its outcome.
    Religion is nothing but a path to reach the supreme power, some call it God, I have been to temples, churches and a mosque too, but I pray at home, that gives me solace. Ifeel being religious or spiritual has made me stay away from doing evil, my parents have ingrained in me that even if I can't do good,I must never do evil. Sometimes unknowingly I might harm but once I realize it I try to make amends. This post was edited by Veena.K at March 10, 2017 2:35 PM MST
      March 9, 2017 4:50 PM MST

No.
      March 10, 2017 11:57 AM MST

Becoming a more spiritual person has greatly enriched my life through the years. It has protected me, comforted me, and given me hope for a future.
      March 18, 2017 12:02 AM MDT

Has going to church, being religious or spiritual actually made things more complicated for you?

============================================================= 

It hasn’t for me, but obviously the more you take on in your life the more it will complicate things for you. For example, if you enrol on a course, enter employment or run your own business, take on a hobby, join a group of any sort, admit a partner into your life, have a child, add more children, enter your children in a school, then each one of those will add complication to your life. However, each one has benefits as well. If you find that the complications of any one are exceeding its benefits it’s seriously time for reviewing that particular one and seeing whether there is any room for minor or major changes and whether abandoning altogether is a viable and good option.
      March 30, 2017 1:24 PM MDT